[5E] The Kalarian Precipice - Chapter One

97mg

Explorer
Dain

Dain: “I should ask you the same question,” the young woman says, her smirk becoming a smile. She gestures at the fallen guardsman behind you, pointing her knife in his direction.

“A downfall indeed. Thank you…”

The moment is interrupted by the arrival of a young man (Otiroth) at the alleyway’s entrance, scampering in at speed and only barely avoiding a trip on the guard and your well placed hazards.

The unexpected arrival is enough to startle her. She is up the steps before you've barely taken a breath. Taking one last look down at you, she seems to sense something lingering in the air, and its not just disappointment.

“Hey. Must go. At first dark if you wish,” she says tossing a small wooden disc down to you. It is around the size of a coin, and at first glance appears to have some carvings in its face.

Then she is gone.

<Jeovanna’s turn next, followed by Carthum (who is probably soon to arrive?), then Arrol/Dira/Guard, then Metea, then Otiroth. Sound ok?

I'll post an updated mudmap shortly.>

97mg

Explorer
Mudmap

Kalair_Tower_Grounds2.jpg

Carthum One-Tusk: Alleyways

Carthum was making good time, though Otiroth was faster than he had expected...

It was probably best that Otiroth was quick! Carthum did not much care for how much time the perfume-peddler was spending around his sister... so if he tried anything untoward, it was best for all three of them if Otiroth could get away in time!

As they slid towards the alleyway, they'd make a sharp turn into the alley proper. Carthum had once more lost track of his sister, but his gaze would fall upon someone else...

...he'd never spotted someone like her in Kalair before...

The first obstacle was cleared, but the alley was in shambles and Carthum, well... was suddenly distracted!

<Dex check 13, because of course it is. :p >

97mg

Explorer
Carthum

Carthum: Surprisingly you keep your balance as you speed into the unexpected chaos beside Otiroth. Substantial litter is scattered across the ground, as is a fallen guardsman, whose hand you manage to stomp on by accident. He squeals in protest, “arrrrg!”

About half way down the passage ahead stands Dain, and the young woman seems to have vanished off up some stairs.

<1 hit point damage to guard.>

Jeovanna

First Post
Jeovanna- Alleyways

Downfalls. Indeed?

That stung. A prophecy for a year coming too late to warn her- or perhaps a mockery. Of course, nothing was that simple, and neither the gods nor the council would concern themselves with her petty problems. A greenskin shot past, shooting her a look in passing. Disappeared up the alleyway. There was a shout!

Kicking off from the wall a bit harder than was necessary, Jeovanna followed the sound of chaos down the alleyway. She'd move a bit slower, though, taking her time, as the debris in the way brought to mind a small tornado tearing through the alleyway, knocking over everything in its path. What a mess! And that ceramic pot, shattered on the ground- it was leaking some kind of oil that looked rather slippery. No, she'd take her time!

Her gaze flickered to Dain, if he'd even notice her- he seemed distracted. Disappointed. The barbarian bent down by the guard, laying one heavy hand on his shoulder. "You alright? Everyone here is even more drunk than I am, and that's saying something."

And that hand kind of just laid there for a moment. She'd be happy to help him up, but not until she was sure he wasn't going to be swinging at anyone!

<In case you need- strength check 16+4 = 20>

97mg

Explorer
Metea with Arrol & Dira

Metea: A look of relief flashes across Arrol’s face as you ensure his daughter is safely returned. “You are kind, thank you my friend,” he says nodding with respect for your deed.

Turning to Dira then, he looks down and scolds her lightly. “No more of that little one, I did not come all this way to lose you. That be a downfall I’d not suffer well.”

“Sorry pa...” she offers in apology.

He takes her hand and turns to view the alley entrance across the other side of the road.

“Are your friends alright? Looks busy in there.”

One can be forgiven for thinking something serious is going down. Expecting that Metea will be rushing off to join the others, he quickly adds, “we are staying at the Hayrift this eve, you’d be most welcome to stop by.”

Ah, the Hayrift. Behind the stables. A far cry from luxury accommodation, it is a mere shed with a roof, and prickly hay-filled sacks upon which to sleep. From Arrol’s smile though, you sense that they quite look forward to roughing it.

<Post coming for the Guard shortly>

97mg

Explorer
Guard with Dain, Jeovanna, Otiroth & Carthum

Dain, Jeovanna, Otiroth, Carthum: The guardsman grunts and accepts Jeovanna’s hand, pulling him up with surprising ease!

“Ta, stranger, quite a grip there,” he says in thanks, quickly moving his other hand though somewhat bruised, to rest on the pommel of a belt-strapped sword. Narrowed eyes and a daring glare move across the rest of those assembled.

“Where is the infidel, the woman?” His tone is hard and demanding, as he locks eyes with the half-orc. “Oh, the **** you are in sunny, you’re well as cooked lad.”

A nasty look is then directed at Dain a little way up the alley. “Hey you, spill it. Or I’ll have the lot of ya, excluding this fine woman...” he nods to Jeovanna, “... dragged in for obstruction!”

Though outnumbered, he still demands authority and looks like he’s probably not too bad at swinging that blade.

Now! Don’t you bloody tempt me...”

<If anyone makes any risky moves that could be construed as violent or trying to escape, we will all roll initiative at that point. Feel free to use skills like persuasion, deception and intimidation if you are willing to risk it hehe.

Metea next, then Dain, Otiroth, Jeovanna, Carthum, followed by NPCs>

Last edited:

Metea

First Post
Metea: Alleyways

Metea smiles back. "The Hayrift! I know it. If my fool brother has not gotten himself in trouble, then I will be there!"

With a nod to Arrol and Dira, she'd be off, tail twitching nervously. It does not take a keen eye to see that things have gone quite wrong, or at least, that things are quite tense. Clambering over a fallen box, using it to get a bit of a better view, she'd feel something well up deep inside... a twitching, scratching, boiling that puts her horns on edge.

Show them.

The voice is louder than before, though it is still hers...

They will hurt him. It is time. Show them!

daindarkspring

First Post
Dain - Alleyway

A downfall indeed? Does she mock my pain or seek to find common ground?

Dain caught the little wooden disc, a bit stunned but in a positive way, noticing the carved surface briefly before stashing it away in a pouch. He watched her vanish, like a cat into the shadows.

At first dark it will be, then. May Essithea grant that it shed some light.

His musings were interrupted by the angry voice of the guardsman, and the sound of a small crowd gathering at the entrance to the alley. Turning in that direction, Dain threw up his arms in frustrating disappointment as he walked towards them.

"If I knew where she was, I'd still be chasing her! I don't know why you pursued her, but I believed she had something that belonged to me..." His past, as it were. Which was true. "...but I think I was wrong. At any rate, she's as quick as a fox in a hen house and as slippery as a freshwater eel. I lost her." He was really trying to sell this story to the guard, and it no doubt helped that it was actually more or less the truth!

There was obviously tension in the air around the guard but Dain was showing no signs of aggression.

<rolled a natural 20!>

Last edited:

97mg

Explorer
Dain & Guardsman

Dain: The guardsman seems satisfied with your very believable explanation, and agrees with your assessment of her.

“Slipperier than an eel in a bucket of snot, I’d say. She has taken from many, cutpursing around the tower grounds.”

The fondling of his sword’s pommel seems to end then, as he places hands on hips and considers the situation further.

“Mmmm.”

He lays eyes on the rest of the alleyway’s visitors, questioningly. Not everyone is off the hook yet.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases