• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E 5E Umber Hulk preview

Tormyr

Hero
"Oh dear" too tough? Or "oh dear" too weak? The 27 hp damage seems on a par with vampire spawn and shambling mounds. The hit points are lower, but the AC is higher (18). Not to mention the gaze.
"Oh dear" is what the player in me says on confronting it. All this stuff together could make things go south fast. I suppose a mage or someone could try to blind it.

I have really liked the varied and interesting things the monsters shown so far do. I cannot wait for September 30.

I really like the artwork on this one.

93hp and 3 attacks for a CR5 monster? Oh dear.

5th level is where second attacks start for many characters, 3rd level spells, and cantrips doing another die of damage. It would take a lot of party resources, but I certainly see them standing a chance.

5th level is where second attacks start for many characters, 3rd level spells, and cantrips doing another die of damage. It would take a lot of party resources, but I certainly see them standing a chance.

Yeah, but I think it's a bit off because CR5 single monster, 1800XP would be a below-medium encounter for 4 L5 PCs (easy 1000XP, medium 2000XP), and I'm sorry, but I do not believe that an AC18, 93HP, auto-confuse, monster (so none of the easy "stop a humanoid" stuff), and with a good damage multi-attack would be a "below medium" encounter for most parties, not by a long shot. Especially not in the sort of narrow/close environments you'd likely meet one of these in.

I agree that they'd probably live, but it really seems unlikely to be "below medium".

Remove ads