D&D 5E 5e Updates: Monstrous Compendium

Stalker0

Legend
I had to get rid of the "brutal" trait completely and make a few other changes to get the CR back in line, but it is working now.
Juggernaut is an interesting ability, kind of a midway point between a move and a move with no OAs.

Just nothing there are still no spells for the dragon in case that was missed.

I also just noticed that the dragon's breath tactics lists a "death breath" for the Great Wyrm, but didn't see that noted in the Great Wyrm stat block. I would also say its definitely a CR adjustment to me, the ability to kill a PC at 0 HP is a big combat factor.

dave2008

Legend
Juggernaut is an interesting ability, kind of a midway point between a move and a move with no OAs.
It seemed more like a Brute approach to me.
Just nothing there are still no spells for the dragon in case that was missed.
I am aware, I will get to them before I start filling out the rest of the ages. I still need to update the Adult Black too. It is a bit crazy here at the moment and I haven't had as much time to work on these.
I also just noticed that the dragon's breath tactics lists a "death breath" for the Great Wyrm, but didn't see that noted in the Great Wyrm stat block. I would also say its definitely a CR adjustment to me, the ability to kill a PC at 0 HP is a big combat factor.
So you caught that. ;)

It is an hidden extra, only for those who want to use dragon tactics. I'm still undecided about it and whether or not I put it in the stat block. The Great Wyrm, doesn't have its own stat block, so it is a bit odd to include it in the Wyrm stat block. However, I do have a solution for that.

Regarding death, I get what your saying. However, death doesn't factor into the CR of low level PCs where it is a real threat, nor is there any CR adjustment for creatures with the disintegrate spell or similar death affects. Also, at these CRs, 26-30, PCs will be lvl 17-20 and are likely to have access to Resurrection if not True Resurrection.

Stalker0

Legend
Regarding death, I get what your saying. However, death doesn't factor into the CR of low level PCs where it is a real threat, nor is there any CR adjustment for creatures with the disintegrate spell or similar death affects. Also, at these CRs, 26-30, PCs will be lvl 17-20 and are likely to have access to Resurrection if not True Resurrection.
Its fair to say, that at the CRs your talking about realistically everything is on the table, so its probably fair that it shouldn't have a CR adjustment...as much as anything should have really at those levels.

In fact, in some ways you could argue its a proper high level balance mechanic.

At high levels (heck starting as low as ~5th level, but definitely in your upper teens), the amount of damage in a single attack is far less deadly than the amount of damage instances a monster can generate...because of the crazy way that the damage threshold and the death saves work.

If you take a 20th level character for example, we could assume a rough ~200 HP on average (d8 and +2 con). Unless you are doing an attack that deals 200 damage, it all amounts to the same thing, an unconscious character. So in that respect, a dragon who is doing 3 or so attack has a far greater chance to do "real damage" (aka generate failed death saves or even generate an actual death) than a dragon unleashing its full breath weapon. This is actually something to note for your small dragon damage attacks (like ignite or dread whispers). Those small damage values do matter in triggering death saves, so they might actually be more deadly to a character than a dragon that had a 50% more damaging breath but no small instance attacks.

But the deadly breath brings the super damage back into the realm of deadliness, as now an attack only has to do your remaining hitpoints to kill you, which is a LOT more often. And considering that to fight a CR 30 you are fighting a creature a full 10 CR over your level (which in game terms should be a "nigh impossible" task), it seems reasonable that unless you bring some crazy effects or planning to bear, you are just going to get mowed down.

Stalker0

Legend
Hound: I am actually a little worried about the power level for this guy, as the damage really matters at these low CRs. With the combination of pack tactics and incapacitation, crit chances are high. The greatsword damage alone could slice up a level 2 character with 1 hit, let alone 3 (including the bite).

So the damage is already a tough enough effect but when you include the incapacitation you have a real recipe for just destroying a player outright in one round. In theory he is a glass cannon with low hp, but with the Aid for a little buff and the resistance against nonmagic weapon that probably applies a great deal at these CRs he is tanky enough. In summary, his stats fit by the book, this is when my DM experience pulls up a possible red flag.

Lantern: I love everything except sacred illumination. This is a surprisingly potent effect for such low levels, you are going to be effected all day with a good chance to be effected for a day or two, that's rough! I would say the effect at least goes away automatically with a rest.

Owl: For petrifying gaze, I would include the same language as the basilisk as far as averting your eyes. I feel like that is a key balancing mechanic of the gaze at these CRs, as the effect is very nasty but it gives the players some direct control of whether to take the risk or not. Did you assume expertise in perception as the default with the owl, or does the DM still pick an additional skill to have expertise?

Guardian: My CR calcs don't match with yours on this one. I'm getting an offensive CR 5 if you assume the two claws with no bite, combined with a CR 13 defense if you are factoring in the BPS, for a CR 9. Regardless the strength save is a touch low for the offensive CR.

dave2008

Legend
OK, first I will admit that most of are several years old and I didn't check them all thoroughly before post them. With that in mind I will get into your comments - and thank you for them!
Hound: I am actually a little worried about the power level for this guy, as the damage really matters at these low CRs. With the combination of pack tactics and incapacitation, crit chances are high. The greatsword damage alone could slice up a level 2 character with 1 hit, let alone 3 (including the bite).

So the damage is already a tough enough effect but when you include the incapacitation you have a real recipe for just destroying a player outright in one round. In theory he is a glass cannon with low hp, but with the Aid for a little buff and the resistance against nonmagic weapon that probably applies a great deal at these CRs he is tanky enough. In summary, his stats fit by the book, this is when my DM experience pulls up a possible red flag.
First, I checked the CR and it was at 4, not 3 as listed. 2nd, I agree that incapacitated is way to strong for this low CR. I've replaced incapacitated and modified how the bite attack works.
Lantern: I love everything except sacred illumination. This is a surprisingly potent effect for such low levels, you are going to be effected all day with a good chance to be effected for a day or two, that's rough! I would say the effect at least goes away automatically with a rest.
I agree, It ends on a short or long rest now. I was corrected the DC (should have been 11).
Owl: For petrifying gaze, I would include the same language as the basilisk as far as averting your eyes. I feel like that is a key balancing mechanic of the gaze at these CRs, as the effect is very nasty but it gives the players some direct control of whether to take the risk or not. Did you assume expertise in perception as the default with the owl, or does the DM still pick an additional skill to have expertise?
Petrifying gaze. The big different between the Owl archon and a basilisk or medusa is that those monsters petrifying effects are passive and always on and effects all creatures within range. So those monsters gaze is every round against all creatures. The Owl is one creature, most likely once a combat. To me that is the balancing factor. I did add that the tears of an archon can eliminate the effect, giving DMs an option if the party doesn't have access to greater restoration.

I'm guessing you are talking about Lore Master? The Owl archon has expertise in perception as indicated by the skill bonus. This is not called out, just like for dragons and other creatures in the MM. Lore Master is different and doesn't apply to a specific skill, but any check used within the Owl's area of knowledge. Whether a "skill" applies or not. Basically, a DM doesn't have to worry about finding the right skill for an Owl archon to recall knowledge regarding its field, the archon gets the benefit of expertise and advantage.
Guardian: My CR calcs don't match with yours on this one. I'm getting an offensive CR 5 if you assume the two claws with no bite, combined with a CR 13 defense if you are factoring in the BPS, for a CR 9. Regardless the strength save is a touch low for the offensive CR.
Are you talking about the Warden or the Warden Guardian? The Warden Guardian would make 2 Glaive attacks, not two claw attacks. However, I forgot to figure Aura of Menace for both of them. Regarding the strength save, WotC often takes 10 on these, but given that it has prof. in Athletics, it makes sense to to give it the full DC treatment. Corrected now. Here is my updated CR breakdown:

For the Guardian I get:
Defensive CR 10 (178 effective HP = 8 + 2 for effective AC of 21)
Offensive CR 8 (51 DPR = 8, no attack adjustment)
Total CR: 9.5

For the Warden I get:
Defensive CR 10 (178 effective HP = 8 + 2 for effective AC of 20)
Offensive CR 6-7 (41-46 DPR depending on how often you assume it can get a bite attack, no attack adjustment)
Total CR: 8-8.5

dave2008

Legend
1627416569215.png

Couatl by Aazure-Dragon

Couatl, Guardian
Medium celestial, lawful good
1602788170808.png

Armor Class 19 (natural armor)
Hit Points 119 (14d8 + 56; bloodied 59)
Speed 30 ft., fly 90 ft.
1602788180099.png

STRDEXCONINTWISCHA
16 (+3)20 (+5)18 (+4)18 (+4)21 (+5)20 (+5)
1602788185616.png

Saving Throws Con +7, Wis +8, Cha +8
Skills diplomacy +4, perception +8
Damage Resistances radiant
Damage Immunities psychic; bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing from nonmagical attacks
Senses truesight 120 ft., passive perception 18
Languages All, telepathy 120 ft.
Challenge 5 (1,800 XP) Proficiency Bonus +3
1602788192622.png

Magic Weapons. The couatl's weapon attacks are magical.

Serpent Sentinel. The couatl has a advantage on opportunity attacks and if it hits a creature with an opportunity attack, the creature’s speed becomes 0 for the rest of its turn. Additionally, a creatures within 5 feet of the couatl provokes opportunity attacks even if it takes the Disengage action.

Shielded Mind. The couatl is immune to scrying and to any effect that would sense its emotions, read its thoughts, or detect its location.

ACTIONS
Bite.
Melee Weapon Attack. +8 to hit, reach 5 ft., one creature. Hit. 8 (1d6 + 5) piercing damage, and the target must succeed on a DC 15 Constitution saving throw or be poisoned for 24 hours. Until this poison ends, the target is unconscious. The target can make an additional saving throw if another creature uses an action to shake it awake or it takes damage. On success, the condition ends for itself.

Constrict. Melee Weapon Attack. +6 to hit, reach 10 ft., one Medium or smaller creature. Hit. 10 (2d6 + 3) bludgeoning damage, and the target is grappled (escape DC 15). Until this grapple ends, the target is restrained, and the couatl can't constrict another target.

Tail. Melee Weapon Attack. +8 to hit, reach 5 ft., one creature. Hit. 8 (1d6 + 5) bludgeoning damage and 3 (1d6) radiant damage.

Innate Spellcasting. The couatl's spellcasting ability is Charisma (spell save DC 15). It can innately cast the following spells, requiring only verbal components:

At will: detect evil and good, detect magic, detect thoughts
3/day each: bless, counterspell, cure wounds, protection from poison, sanctuary, shield*
1/day each: greater restoration, scrying

*If the couatl uses shield each round, increase its CR by 1.

Change Shape. The couatl magically polymorphs into a humanoid or beast that has a challenge rating equal to or less than its own, or back into its true form. It reverts to its true form if it dies. Any equipment it is wearing or carrying is absorbed or borne by the new form (the couatl's choice).

In a new form, the couatl retains its game statistics and ability to speak, but its AC, movement modes, Strength, Dexterity, and other actions are replaced by those of the new form, and it gains any statistics and capabilities (except class features, legendary actions, and lair actions) that the new form has but that it lacks. If the new form has a bite attack, the couatl can use its bite in that form.

BONUS ACTIONS
Quick Strike.
The couatl can make a bite attack against a creature it has grappled.

REACTIONS
Protection.
When a creature the couatl can see attacks a target within 5 feet of the couatl , the couatl can use its reaction to impose disadvantage on the attack roll.

Last edited:

dave2008

Legend
1627417987419.png

Couatl by Stacialune

Couatl, Elder
Large celestial, lawful good
1602788170808.png

Armor Class 20 (natural armor)
Hit Points 189 (18d10 + 90; bloodied 94)
Speed 30 ft., fly 120 ft.
1602788180099.png

STRDEXCONINTWISCHA
19 (+4)20 (+5)20 (+5)21 (+5)22 (+6)22 (+6)
1602788185616.png

Saving Throws Dex +9, Con +9, Wis +10, Cha +10
Skills diplomacy +10, perception +10
Damage Resistances necrotic, radiant
Damage Immunities psychic; bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing from nonmagical attacks
Condition Immunities charmed, frightened
Senses truesight 180 ft., passive perception 20
Challenge 12 (8,400 XP) Proficiency Bonus +4
1602788192622.png

Shielded Mind. The couatl is immune to scrying and to any effect that would sense its emotions, read its thoughts, or detect its location.

ACTIONS
Multiattack. The couatl makes two attacks: one with its bite and one with its tail. It can't make both attacks against the same target.

Bite. Melee Weapon Attack. +9 to hit, reach 5 ft., one creature. Hit. 12 (2d6 + 5) piercing damage, and the target must succeed on a DC 16 Constitution saving throw or be poisoned for 24 hours. Until this poison ends, the target is unconscious. The target can make an additional saving throw if another creature uses an action to shake it awake or it takes damage. On success, the condition ends for itself.

Constrict. Melee Weapon Attack. +8 to hit, reach 10 ft., one Medium or smaller creature. Hit. 13 (2d8 + 4) bludgeoning damage, and the target is grappled (escape DC 15). Until this grapple ends, the target is restrained, and the couatl can't constrict another target.

Tail. Melee Weapon Attack. +9 to hit, reach 10 ft., one creature. Hit. 12 (2d6 + 5) bludgeoning damage and 7 (2d6) radiant damage.

Radiant Beam (Recharge 5–6). The couatl exhales a beam of energy in an 60-foot line that is 5 feet wide. Each creature in that line must make a DC 17 Dexterity saving throw, taking 36 (8d8) radiant damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one.

Innate Spellcasting. The couatl's spellcasting ability is Charisma (spell save DC 18). It can innately cast the following spells, requiring only verbal components:

At will: cure wounds, detect evil and good, detect magic, detect thoughts, protection from poison,
3/day each: bless, create food and water, dream, invisibility, lesser restoration, sanctuary, shield*
1/day each: greater restoration, plane shift, scrying, summon celestial

Change Shape. The couatl magically polymorphs into a humanoid or beast that has a challenge rating equal to or less than its own, or back into its true form. It reverts to its true form if it dies. Any equipment it is wearing or carrying is absorbed or borne by the new form (the couatl's choice).

In a new form, the couatl retains its game statistics and ability to speak, but its AC, movement modes, Strength, Dexterity, and other actions are replaced by those of the new form, and it gains any statistics and capabilities (except class features, legendary actions, and lair actions) that the new form has but that it lacks. If the new form has a bite attack, the couatl can use its bite in that form.

BONUS ACTIONS
Quick Strike.
The couatl can make a bite attack against a creature it has grappled.

Last edited:

dave2008

Legend
Couatl_GrandVizer.jpg

Rejuvenation by Sleepingfox

GRAND VIZER
1612402920859.png

Grand Vizers are enormous couatls approaching 40 feet in length. They are awesome in beauty and might with four resplendent feathered wings and magnificent iridescent scales. They are wise, gentle beings that seek to help the forces of good, but they can be fearsome enemies if provoked.

There is typical only one Grand Vizer on any given world. They are tasked with guiding and protecting their lesser brethren and spreading the divine wisdom of their god. They spend their days visiting and assisting couatls and exceptional mortals in need. They are often accompanied by one or two elder couatls.

Couatl, Grand Vizer
Huge celestial, lawful good
1602788170808.png

Armor Class 22 (natural armor)
Hit Points 250 (20d12 + 120; bloodied 125)
Speed 40 ft., fly 180 ft.
1602788180099.png

STRDEXCONINTWISCHA
22 (+6)20 (+5)22 (+6)23 (+6)24 (+7)24 (+7)
1602788185616.png

Saving Throws Dex +11, Con +12, Wis +13, Cha +13
Skills athletics +12, diplomacy +13, perception +13
Damage Resistances necrotic, radiant
Condition Immunities charmed, frightened
Senses truesight 180 ft., passive perception 20
Challenge 18 (20,000 XP) Proficiency Bonus +6
1602788192622.png

Magic Resistance. The couatl has advantage on saving throws against spells and magical effects and any creature that makes a spell attack against the couatl has disadvantage on the attack roll.

ACTIONS
Multiattack. The couatl makes two attacks: any combination of melee attacks, but only one attack can be a Constrict and it can't make tail and bite attack against the same target.

Bite. Melee Weapon Attack. +11 to hit, reach 10 ft., one creature. Hit. 16 (3d6 + 6) piercing damage, and the target must succeed on a DC 20 Constitution saving throw or be poisoned for 24 hours. Until this poison ends, the target is unconscious. The target can make an additional saving throw if another creature uses an action to shake it awake or it takes damage. On success, the condition ends for itself.

Constrict. Melee Weapon Attack. +12 to hit, reach 10 ft., one Medium or smaller creature. Hit. 22 (3d10 + 6) bludgeoning damage, and the target is grappled (escape DC 20). Until this grapple ends, the target is restrained, and the couatl can't constrict another target.

Tail. Melee Weapon Attack. +12 to hit, reach 15 ft., one creature. Hit. 16 (3d6 + 6) bludgeoning damage and 10 (3d6) radiant damage. If the target is a Large or smaller creature, it must succeed on a DC 20 Strength saving throw or be knocked prone and or pushed 10 feet, the couatl's choice.

Radiant Beam (Recharge 5–6). The couatl exhales a beam of energy in an 90-foot line that is 5 feet wide. Each creature in that line must make a DC 20 Dexterity saving throw, taking 45 (10d8) radiant damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one.

Innate Spellcasting. The couatl's spellcasting ability is Charisma (spell save DC 21). It can innately cast the following spells, requiring only verbal components:

At will: bless, create food and water, cure wounds, detect evil and good, detect magic, detect thoughts, protection from poison,
3/day each: dream, greater invisibility, lesser restoration, sanctuary, scrying, shield,* summon celestial
1/day each: crown of stars, greater restoration, plane shift,

Restorative Blessing (1/Rest). The couatl blesses one creature it can see within 180 feet of it. A blessed creature regains 36 (8d8) hit points and is freed from any curse or negative condition it is suffering.

Turn Undead (1/Rest). Each undead within 60 feet of the couatl that can see or hear it must make a DC 21 Wisdom saving throw. On a failure, the undead is turned. for 1 minute. A turned undead must spend its turn moving as far away from the couatl as possible, cannot willing move to a space within 60 feet of it, and cannot take reactions. For its action, the undead can use only the Dash action or try to Escape from an effect that prevents it from moving. If there's nowhere to move, the undead can use the Dodge action.

BONUS ACTIONS
Quick Strike.
The couatl makes a bite attack against a creature it has grappled.

LEGENDARY ACTIONS
The couatl can take 3 legendary actions, choosing from the options below. Only one legendary action option can be used at a time and only at the end of another creature’s turn. If the couatl has unspent legendary actions at the end of the round, it may spend and immediately use its remaining legendary actions. The couatl regains spent legendary actions at the start of its turn.

Celestial Inspiration. The couatl telepathic inspires an ally within 180 feet of it. The couatl chooses from one of the following options:
  • The ally can use a reaction and move up to half its speed without provoking opportunity attacks.
  • The ally can use a reaction to make an attack.
  • The ally gains 20 temporary hit points until the end of its next turn.
  • The all gains advantage on its next attack, it makes an attack before the end of its next turn.
Move. The couatl moves half its speed.
Wing Attack (Costs 2 Actions). The couatl beats its wings. Each creature within 10 feet of the couatl must succeed on a DC 20 Dexterity saving throw or take 13 (2d6 + 6) bludgeoning damage and be knocked prone. The couatl can then fly up to half its flying speed.
Recharge (Costs 3 Actions). The couatl recharges its Radiant Beam and it must use it on its next turn. Until the couatl uses its radiant beam attack, each creature that touches it our hits it with a melee attack within 5 feet of it takes 14 (4d6) radiant damage.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases