D&D 3E/3.5 5E's Initial Raw Sales Numbers Stronger Than 3E's!

It seems that the initial sales of D&D 5th Edition are very strong. Asked about how they compare to 3E and 4E, WotC's Mike Mearls says that "Raw numbers are stronger, but that's not the complete picture. end of year 1 is the key." The Player's Handbook has now topped the hardcover nonfiction sellers list at Publishers Weekly. As of right now, it's #1 in Fantasy Gaming at Amazon, and a week ago it was the #1 book on Amazon!

It seems that the initial sales of D&D 5th Edition are very strong. Asked about how they compare to 3E and 4E, WotC's Mike Mearls says that "Raw numbers are stronger, but that's not the complete picture. end of year 1 is the key." The Player's Handbook has now topped the hardcover nonfiction sellers list at Publishers Weekly. As of right now, it's #1 in Fantasy Gaming at Amazon, and a week ago it was the #1 book on Amazon!

BwoJwYwCMAA4NuS.jpg

In other news, prompted by some discussion about the gaps between D&D edition releases, I whipped up this quick info-graphic showing the dates that each edition was released. [threadcm]http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?359004-So-I-have-been-out-of-town-for-a-few-weeks-did-I-miss-something[/threadcm]

releases.jpg

teitan

Legend
NECROMANCY! So... this thread is like a time capsule showing that in spite of some of it's contents, D&D found exactly what it needed, sustainability AND incredible growth potential with Critical Role, D&D Beyond increasing accessibility to the rules, plus numerous other factors. Some of the commentary herein seems like it is being regurgitated over and over though, proving the more things change, the more they stay the same and showing how we've, thankfully, finally, moved beyond Ryan Dancey as a source! Woah.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
As I noted in another thread that this links to...this was a merger of two threads, so the dates in it are confusing, as many of the posts were made quite a bit earlier then the post date. EDIT: and in many cases replies come before the post they are replying to.

Yes, big success. We were right. (And some people very, very wrong).

But now 2024 looms.

Last edited:

teitan

Legend
As I noted in another thread that this links to...this was a merger of two threads, so the dates in it are confusing, as many of the posts were made quite a bit earlier then the post date. EDIT: and in many cases replies come before the post they are replying to.

Yes, big success. We were right. (And some people very, very wrong).

But now 2024 looms.
It is kinda like watching PF2 be a steady seller and selling better than most RPGs and about as well as 1e was selling but people doom and glooming it. We will see when Paizo announces 3e and how long that is

Remove ads

Remove ads