D&D 5E 5E's poor book bindings

dave2008

Legend
I'm on my second monster manual, second player's handbook, and several of the earlier adventure books the pages have started to crack away from the spine. (I'm very much spoiled by the higher book quality in 1E AD&D or some of the indy OSR publishers - those 70's books were indestructible). Couple of questions:
  • Anyone else trashed copies of their books through use over the 5-6 years - bindings cracked, pages coming loose?
  • Were there special editions of the core rulebooks that included a higher quality binding or publishing characteristics?
  • Have more recent printings improved the quality of the bindings?
I tried a search but didn't see anything, maybe I'm just tough on books!
This was discussed as an issue earlier on in 5e (about 4-5 yrs ago). At the time I had not had any issue, but within the last year my PHB started to go. I have had no issue with the DMG or MM which get a lot more use from me (I'm the DM).

I'm on my second monster manual, second player's handbook, and several of the earlier adventure books the pages have started to crack away from the spine. (I'm very much spoiled by the higher book quality in 1E AD&D or some of the indy OSR publishers - those 70's books were indestructible). Couple of questions:
  • Anyone else trashed copies of their books through use over the 5-6 years - bindings cracked, pages coming loose?
  • Were there special editions of the core rulebooks that included a higher quality binding or publishing characteristics?
  • Have more recent printings improved the quality of the bindings?
I tried a search but didn't see anything, maybe I'm just tough on books!

My first PHB went under, and WotC replaced it for free. You should contact WotC if you have an issue, they have an extremely generous replacement policy. The general quality is good, but a bum copy will show itself eventually.

I received a free copy of the DMG when my original came apart. I think I read somewhere that the earlier book runs had some binding issues. In any case, WotC customer service was quick and nice about the replacement (and let me keep the old, slightly mangled copy):

Dungeons & Dragons 5th Edition Product Replacement

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Oh, boy... um... all of my book bindings came apart. :sneaky:

So, I just, ya know, um... decided to scan them in case I lost the pages. :unsure:

Yeah, YEAH! That's it, that's why I did it! :cool:

Retreater

Legend
I'm pretty rough on mine, have had them since release date, and use them regularly. So far no issues. Between my wife and me, we do have like 4 copies of the PHB in our house, so maybe we spread the usage between copies?

Remove ads