5th Edition announced

Hey Pssthpok matey! :)

Pssthpok said:
That would have alleviated a lot of my early gripe with 4E martial classes. The possibility of feats or "subclasses" affecting those modifiers is also enticing.

I'll have the Wizard class and a v2.0 on the Fighter revision up on the website within a few days.

As long as you included your typical transparent take on monster design and all that, yeah. I still have the hardcover Bestiary from the 3.5 days - that thing was very useful at the level our campaign crested before 4E took the wind out of our sails.

I think you don't really need to do much to 4E monsters - they are already fairly transparent as regards how they are built.

I think I have a few ideas such as super-solo monsters, unit rules and mega-size rules but those are fairly straightforward.

If you were redoing the Dire Creature section from the Epic Bestiary I would simply suggest:

Dire Creature = Level +5 (+1 size category)
Behemoth Creature = Level +10 (+2 size categories)
Teratoid Creature = Level +15 (+3 size categories)

Legendary Creature = Level +10

Macrobe Creature = Level +35 (mega-size)

Well, it did nothing to help 3E, period. Grapple and polymorph were cleaned up, but otherwise all I saw were mechanical tweaks - nothing very bold or creative - and cosmetic tweaks - classes were somewhat different, but again nothing bold or challenging to a 3E veteran.

Someone else this thread tried to challenge me on this, but he's entitled to his opinion. I don't really care if he liked PF or whatever. The fact is, it's 3E run through a strainer and redyed. It's nothing new, and it didn't revitalize the core engine of the 3E game.

In fairness the whole idea behind Pathfinder was to keep 3.5E 'alive' and in print. So the designers couldn't really change it much at all without compromising on that principle.

I'd be down with that. I like a good bit of crunch, but something being complicated and something being complex are two different things. I always appreciated your ability to make things complex without it being too complicated.

Lets see how it looks when I have all the core classes revised.

Right now, I'm betting that 5E will be a bit like the old Players Option series, where each class has about 3-6 pages and each player picks X# of rules, maybe weighed against each other or something, and that's that.

Hopefully we'll know within a few months the general direction they want to take.

I was reluctant to think WotC could live up to their claim, but the more I think about it, the more I think I could probably live up to it.

I'm very interested to see how its presented.

Pssthpok

First Post
In fairness the whole idea behind Pathfinder was to keep 3.5E 'alive' and in print. So the designers couldn't really change it much at all without compromising on that principle.

On that I agree, hence my unwillingness to even quote the guy who feels otherwise. It's just not a matter of debate, really.

paradox42

First Post
On that I agree, hence my unwillingness to even quote the guy who feels otherwise. It's just not a matter of debate, really.
Feel free to ignore me. *I* quoted *YOU* and disproved your statement. If you agree that your statement as you wrote it was false, that's good enough for me. :)

Remove ads