D&D 5E 5th Edition character generator

Chris Simpson

First Post
Is there ever going to be a character generator for 5th edition? Wizards of the cost are not going to make one and there was talk about Lone Wolf Development making one, its not happened and development on PCGen has stopped. Anyone else going to develop one?

Sacrosanct

Legend
Is there ever going to be a character generator for 5th edition? Wizards of the cost are not going to make one and there was talk about Lone Wolf Development making one, its not happened and development on PCGen has stopped. Anyone else going to develop one?

Yes. Once they figure out the ranger class.

;)

BoldItalic

First Post
Didn't you know? There's one built into Windows 10 Version 1511. If you have the right hardware it links into your brain via neural pathways in your fingertips when you touch the keyboard, and draws directly on your own knowledge of the PHB to compute the 5e class options.

It's code-named Notepad.

"All screen to visual, Mister Zulu."
"Aye, Aye, Captain."
"All keyboards to manual."
"Aye, Aye, Captain."

Last edited:

El Mahdi

Muad'Dib of the Anauroch
Yes. Once they figure out the ranger class.;)

...and the Warlord. emo19.gif

I'm curious. What (primarily) are you looking for in a character generator? I typically create my characters (especially NPCs) by jotting down a few numbers on a notepad. Are you looking for something to make pretty characters, or something that will manage inventory, or something to manage spells known/memorized (this is the one task which is pretty tedious in my method)?

If what you want isn't too hard I could make one for you and throw it up on a web page*, but I cannot and will not do "pretty" character sheets with lots of formatting and borders and pictures, etc.

* The main value add of the character generator I'm envisioning, relative to every other character generator out there, is that I would include a quick table at the bottom of your DPR vs. every AC in the game, and of the DPR of every to-hit from +0 to +20 against you.

I think 5E runs great without needing one. Thats kind of a litmus test to see if a tabletop rpg is too complex for its own good. Do I need a generator to make character creation painless enough to actually do it? If the answer is yes then I can safely put that game into the "not worth it" bin and move on.

5E as it stands works great with just a fillable pdf, of which there are many to choose from. If it ever get gummed up with enough crap to require a generator then I won't be playing any more.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases