5th level characters vs a purple worm

Dessert Nomad

Adventurer
I recently picked up 5e conversion PDFs for the classic Desert of Desolation modules. Most of the conversion makes sense to me, but one thing that seemed odd is that they did a straight 'use the 5e monster stats' for purple worm encounters. The first Module is for levels 5-7, and the 'typical' 5e party size is 3-5, and a purple worm is a CR15 monster, which makes it seem like this a TPK waiting to happen to me. In 5e I haven't played much at higher levels or Dmed yet, so I don't have a good feel for how these things work, so I might just be underestimating just how much higher level characters can dish out. I wouldn't have a problem with giving the players a really tough fight (especially since this would happen when they have no time pressure), but I wouldn't want to just wipe them out with a hopeless fight.

The old 1e purple worm wasn't nearly as dangerous (especially the 6-8 size party assumed in 1e) - it had a straight 15 d8 hit dice instead of the d20 with con bonus it gets now, so something like 75 hp vs 250, and a much lower damage output. Being swallowed did automatically kill you after six rounds, but the current damage output looks like it would kill most characters at that level in 2-3 rounds. It also had a 'save or die' tail poison in 1e (because 1e loved save or die), but wouldn't be able to use it against a party.

Rod Staffwand

aka Ermlaspur Flormbator
It's a random encounter. The party can theoretically run away from it. However, in researching this post I noticed they increased the speed of the 5e purple worm to 50ft (basically double that of 1e's 9"). I'd just have avoid it taking the dash action on the surface, giving it a round or two of attacks on ambush, a few AOs and then not give chase to fleeing PCs. If the party chooses to fight it, the dice will determine what happens.

Henry

Autoexreginated
Is the Purple Worm in this an important encounter plot-wise, or is it a random encounter? I love Desert of Desolation, but I can't remember specifically right now. If it's a random encounter, I might skip it or substitute a smaller version (maybe a 'baby' purple worm or variant species with a -2 to attacks, about 1 dice less damage, (about 3 dice less for the poison tail) and about 125 hp or so? That might make it a little more survivable for a 5th or 6th level group. Once they are about level 10 or 11, they probably could take on a purple worm with difficulty (and only one PC death :))

Dessert Nomad

Adventurer
Is the Purple Worm in this an important encounter plot-wise, or is it a random encounter? I love Desert of Desolation, but I can't remember specifically right now. If it's a random encounter, I might skip it or substitute a smaller version (maybe a 'baby' purple worm or variant species with a -2 to attacks, about 1 dice less damage, (about 3 dice less for the poison tail) and about 125 hp or so? That might make it a little more survivable for a 5th or 6th level group. Once they are about level 10 or 11, they probably could take on a purple worm with difficulty (and only one PC death :))

It's a random outdoor encounter in all 3 modules, nothing to do with the plot at all. That's part of what makes it stick out to me, if it was a climactic encounter that's one thing, but this is just a 'you might encounter this in the desert on your way to the meat of the adventure'. That's what I was thinking, a less capable version wouldn't take away from the module at all but wouldn't be 'welp, unimportant random encounter wiped the party, lets start a new campaign'. I wouldn't worry about a higher level party dealing with it at all.

To start with, the 1e Purple Worm was VERY dangerous. Save or die attacks, against mid-level adventurers, were never something to sneeze at.

I disagree, it's fine to sneeze at save or die attacks that can't actually be used against you! RAW the 1e version (at least in the MM edition that I have) can only use the tail if it's fighting a larger than usual group, so it wouldn't be a factor.

Second, depending on the players knowledge and skill, a single monster is exceptionally easy in 5e (especially compared to 1e). I don't know about your party composition, but assuming they are at full health and resources, this shouldn't be a TPK.

It's theoretical at this point - this is the first set of conversion PDFs I've bought and I was looking at what they did in it. I've got a number of old modules that I might get PDFs of and use for 5e (though I'll probably pass on the infamous Forest Oracle), and I want to get an idea of how much I can trust them. There isn't an actual party in question right now.

I suspect it's in because the authors where fans of Dune!

Obviously, all random encounters are entirely optional, but I would play it like this: The party sense a vibration in the sand. They see track of something huge approaching under the sand about 1000 feet off. There is a rocky outcrop nearby. If the party run as fast as they can to the outcrop the worm will be unable to sense them, and the party will be rewarded by seeing it burst from the sand as it passes by. Give them some quest xp so they learn they don't have to kill everything that moves in order to progress.

Sacrosanct

Legend
"Additionally, the purple worm has a poisonous stinger in its tail. This weapon is only used in rear defense, however, or if the 'worm is fighting large or numerous opponents in a very spacious area which will allow it freedom to use its stinger. The sting causes 2-8 hit points of damage when it hits, and if the victim foils its poison saving throw it is killed by the purple worm's poison."

-Source MM, AD&D, three monster cover, p. 80.

The desert in question counts as "a very spacious area" and a party of adventurers, even 3, unless they all cluster together, could be subject to the sting.

FWIW, the swallow attack was vicious as well.

While the Purple Worm wasn't the Tarrasque, it was one of the signature tough hombres in 1e. As far as this module goes in 1e, if you saw one, you would run; my confusion at your post is that the 5e version is *easier* IMO than the 1e because of the whole Big Bad problem that has been discussed here before.

This. Also, I think the OP is forgetting how 1e PCs were. A 10th level Magic User only had an average of 25 hit points. A 10th level fighter might have 60-70 hp. The adventure is for levels 5-7. A 6th level MU will have 15hp, a 6th level fighter will have 40ish. So a 1e purple worm could one shot kill many PCs, not even counting the poison or swallow ability.

Remove ads