• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

7 Things to love about 7th Sea

This post is in praise of my favorite game system and setting: 7th Sea

• The Setting - First and foremost, 7th Sea is about the setting. 7 nations (England, Italy, France, Spain, Germany, Russia, and Netherlands/Norway), secret societies, sorcery, the inquisition hunting said sorcerers (and heretics in general), monsters and other horrors lurking in the shadows, pirates, and profound secrets make the game world.

• Cinematic Combat - Miniatures are not needed, characters have limited immunity to death, and the game encourages you to do wild, daring things in combat. This combat style is reinforced by the mechanics (flesh and dramatic wounds, drama dice to help do crazy things, drama dice are awarded when you do crazy things, and brute squads). The system also resolves combat quickly; it's not uncommon to finish several fights in a four-hour session while still having plenty of time for role-playing

Furthermore, the rules support using just about anything as a weapon (through a skill called Dirty Fighting). Want shake up a Champaign bottle and use the cork as a projectile, the game has you covered. Want to smash a chair over a bad guy, not a problem. Want to block that rapier with your book of the prophets, give the dice a roll and see if you can pull it off.

• Ridiculous Accents - Break out your worst French or Russian accent, everyone will appreciate it.

• Traits and Combat - Every trait (a trait is the equivalent of the six basic stats in DnD) in combat is used every round in a natural way: Brawn (damage and soaking), Finesse (attacking), Wits (defense), Resolve (number of Dramatic Wounds you have), Panache (number of actions you take per round).

Furthermore, it's very esay to apply these traits to various non-character entities such as ships and armies.

• Hubris - While characters can take a Virtue, most characters take a Hubris for extra points in character creation. If a player wants to, this can be great fun. In a game I'm playing now, I have the Trusting Hubris. Anything anyone says, I take at face value. Furthermore, the GM can activate your hubris to aid in the story telling. Are you Righteous, the GM can spend a drama die to make you a hundred percent sure that the questionable action you just suggested is the moral and right thing to do.

• Backgrounds as a Player Mechanic - You can spend points on various backgrounds for your character. This gives GMs great hooks, helps to flesh out your character, and awards bonus XP when the character background becomes a part of the story. Backgrounds are a great way for the player to give direction to the game.

• Guns and Swords - This is game and fantasy setting that handles both guns and swords very well. Guns are very powerful (they deal lots of damage, you can't use an active defense against them, and they are more likely to cause massive amounts of dramatic wounds), but require a long time to reload (basically, the rest of the combat). So once you shoot your gun, the best thing you can do is to switch to some sort of melee weapon.

Starman

Adventurer
I love 7th Sea. With just a few mechanical tweaks and some jettisoning of odd canon that cropped up in later books, it would be the perfect swashbuckling game.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
My longest rpg campaigns ever were 7th Sea games. Love the system, love the world.

Only downsides to the game were that there were just SO MANY splatbooks, (which were almost required to really get the most out of the character design); the drama dice for XP mechanic did the exact opposite of what it was supposed to (don't use the DD and get additional XP at the end of the day, but that means you aren't actually MAKING DRAMA like they are meant to assist); it was economically bad decisions to ever buy skill levels over trait levels; once many aspects of the metaplot get revealed (of which there is A LOT of cool twists, turns, stories), you lose much of the grandiose and exciting nature of the game.

That first campaign I played in was the absolute best RPG experience I've ever had (thankfully also because of a fantastic GM), and wish that Alterac Entertainment Group could somehow keep it going.

Yeah, it has some wonky mechanics

• Drama Dice for XP is terrible. Drama dice should never be reset, your pool should just rise and fall as you use them and spend them.
  • Traits are too powerful, Knacks are too weak. Rolling and keeping an extra die is worth way more then simply rolling an additional die. I've seen several suggestions on how to fix the Knack problem. Perhaps L5R has some answers hidden away that I'm unaware of (they use the roll and keep system as well, currently on the 4th Edition of it).
  • A Virtue cost 20 Hero Points at creation. Not only do you spend 10 points to buy it, but you can no longer buy a Hubris (taking away 10 possible extra points). Most Virtues aren't worth 20 points.
  • Sorcery is a little on the weak side, especially with how many Hero Points it cost to purchase it.

These things are easy to correct though (except for Sorcery, that requires a bit more fine tuning). I'd love to see a 2nd Edition, but I think I'm dreaming on this one :D

Particle_Man

Explorer
[*]Guns and Swords - This is game and fantasy setting that handles both guns and swords very well. Guns are very powerful (they deal lots of damage, you can't use an active defense against them, and they are more likely to cause massive amounts of dramatic wounds), but require a long time to reload (basically, the rest of the combat). So once you shoot your gun, the best thing you can do is to switch to some sort of melee weapon.[/LIST]

Or just have a lot of loaded guns ready to hand. :)

Pbartender

First Post
I always wanted to see a Sci-fi Space Opera version of the Roll-and-Keep System.

Of all the games I've owned but never had a chance to play, 7th Sea is one of my favorites.

Nimloth

First Post
It's been awhile since I played this game, and the memory is always the 2nd thing to go....I just wish I could remember the first. Overall I liked the game. Particularly the way all the stats were useful for combat (if my memory is correct). But the magic system was bad. I seem to recall no one made a magic using character, ever.

The Shaman

First Post
I don't think I'll ever understand why swashbuckling or cape-and-sword games don't just completely dominate the roleplaying game market. To me a game like 7th Sea, with its mix of cape-and-sword adventure and the fansatickal, should crush everything else in its path. As a genre cape-and-sword seems to offer nearly everything that most gamers seem to want, and setting it in a magical fantasy parallelish-universe should've iced the cake.

It's a damned shame Gary Gygax played Chainmail instead of En Garde! or Rapier and Dagger. :(

Remove ads