8 Things About Monte Cook's New RPG

Tharen the Damned

First Post
Yes, the divorce is potentially a factor. I don't know who owns what so now I am far more curious about that situation.

Somewhere on his webpage he mentions that Malhavoc Press is the imprint for his 3rd Edition Stuff (including Arcana Evolved).

Everything not 3rd edition will be published under his new imprint.

Nagol

Unimportant
Well, the break-up was sometime before he moved back to Seattle late 2010. He obliquely references the split here.

Last edited:

fireinthedust

Explorer
Agreed, though one could argue that having celebrity gossip means D&D has hit the mainstream. I mean, could Monte be considered the rpg Kim Kardashian? ...no. And thankfully so (no one wants to see him in a video with Ray Jay; sorry Monte).

That said, there is a lot going on with Monte that we don't get to know about: why the move from WOTC? Why the move from Malhavok (though the above reasons all seem likely).

And what is "robust" supposed to mean? Fiddly and complicated?

wrightdjohn

Explorer
It's my opinion but I really think Monte is a notch above even the best designers out there today. And I don't think 3e is perfect by any means. But again that game was designed by a committee. If I could wave a magic wand and give ownership of D&D to Monte I probably would. Thats just how I feel.

I think Ptolus is fabulous and Arcana Evolved etc.. is awesome for what it was.

I think he likes science fantasy more than me but I'm sure I'll buy his game when it hits the market. I'm sure I'll join his kickstart too. I've met Monte and he really is a nice guy too unlike what you might hear on some of the boards.

Remove ads