A&A 1942?? Should I pick it up?

Dire Bare

Legend
I currently own A&A Anniversary Edition, and the "revised" edition of the game that came out somewhat prior to that. I plan on purchasing the newer European and Pacific theatre games . . . . .

Any reason why I should pick up the current "main" edition of the game, A&A 1942? New & improved rules? New units? Anything?

Thanks for any advice!

Agamon

Adventurer
Anniversary was a limited edition. They made 1942 as a cheaper, unlimted version.

The 2 new 1940 games (Pacific and Europe) make one gigantic A&A 1940 game that is fairly different than Anniversary/1942, however.

Rune

Once A Fool
A&A 1942 uses the same rules (except no tech, and no national advantages) as the Anniversary Edition, the same units, and prices.

It uses almost the same set-up as the Revised
Edition (a couple of changes to the map--for instance, Central America touches sea zone 10 and, if memory serves, they fixed the Alaskan sea zone problem) and a couple of destroyers got upgraded to cruisers.

With the newer naval combat rules, it plays a little differently than Revised did, but with essentially the same set-up, your strategies will end up being pretty much the same.

Also, no paper money. And the chips don't stack with the pre-Anniversary chips. But, other than that, the 1942 Edition is a pretty cheap means of getting new pieces.

Edit--One more thing. The pieces in 1942 are generally sturdier and bigger than the Anniversary pieces. The infantry bases fit perfectly into the round center of the new chips and the battleships are all much bigger than the Anniversary versions--which is nice, because they were often hard to distinguish from the cruisers.

Last edited:

Remove ads