• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General A campaign without classes that use magic?

Intelligence and Charisma are next-to-unusable in a no-caster party. Even a rogue is going to want Dexterity then Constitution (because of the lack of healing). This means it's very hard to have a team "face" or team smart guy, making social interaction difficult. If I were you, I'd introduce some new class or subclass that lets you use Intelligence or Charisma in combat somehow, so that a build with those abilities as primary or secondary is feasible without being combat dead weight.

dave2008

Legend
So what classes are you looking at? I'm thinking:
Fighter - Cavalier
Fighter - Champion
Fighter - Battlemaster
Fighter - Purple Dragon Knight
Fighter - Samurai
Rogue - Inquisitive
Rogue - Mastermind
Rogue - Scout
Rogue - Swashbuckler
Rogue - Thief

I think that could be a lot of fun, really a lot of options there.

dave2008

Legend
It works In 5E. The only issue is you only have access to 4 classes. 6 classes if you allow multclassing
I would only allow 2 (fighter & rogue) personally, but that gets you 12 subclasses. I think monk and barbarian (which I assume are the other 2 you are talking about) are to much like magic for me (if no magic was the goal).

Remathilis

Legend
It actually works pretty great with D&D. You just have to find a group that buys into the no-caster model.
YMMV and all, but every no-magic D&D hack I've seen is a kludge. It usually involves rewriting or outright banning most options that even look like magic, rewriting rests and healing, extremely limited monster selection and very limited treasure rewards. Every time I've seen it, it's ends up a lot of work to use what amounts to a crippled version of the game.

For my money, a dedicated low/no magic game like The One Ring or ASoIaF is easier, more complete and far more rewarding.

Remove ads