A Challenge!

Staffan

Legend
Tonight at 9 pm Eastern Time, WOTC are having a trivia contest on their chat site, and I'm eligible to play again after winning back in May.

Anyways, the last few times have been almost embarrassing, with most of the other contestants not quite understanding the meaning of the word "trivia" and seeming surprised when there are questions that require knowledge of books other than the PHB. Back in the day, there were people around who could give me a run for my money, but not in the last few years.

So, I am challenging my fellow geeks to come to http://boards1.wizards.com/community_chat.php and try to beat me. You will need a screen name (although if you already have one from the boards that works, as long as it's IRC-kosher - no spaces, for example), and getting one might take a short while, so I'd recommend getting one in advance.

NexH

First Post
Staffan said:
Anyways, the last few times have been almost embarrassing, with most of the other contestants not quite understanding the meaning of the word "trivia" and seeming surprised when there are questions that require knowledge of books other than the PHB.

How important is having an extensive collection of books for the purpose of answering these questions?

What are the rules?

Staffan

Legend
Well, having a large selection of books helps (or at least having the right books for that evening's questions - and having a large selection helps with that), though in some cases you can get by with google if you're fast enough. Most of the questions draw on 3e sources, but not all.

The way it works is sort of like Jeopardy (though not in the reverse-question-answer way). Each month, there are six categories. Each category has five questions: two that are worth 1 point, two that are worth 2 points, and one that's worth 3 points. The questions have to be taken in order. The WizO asks the question (which usually tells you where the answer can be found, e.g. "These creatures from the Monster Manual are sentient, mobile trees who see it as their duty to tend to old forests."), and the contestants send their answers to her in private messages (the /notice command). All who get it right get the points, and the fastest contestant gets to decide which category to take next. The whole thing goes on for about an hour (with two breaks so you can go to the bathroom or get a snack), and then the points are tallied.

Anyway, it seems that their server is down tonight, and given that it's (a) GenCon and (b) the weekend, I doubt that it will go up again in time for the game. Crap, I was looking forward to a real competition.

NexH

First Post
Thanks for your answers, I searched for information on rpgto on the wizard's site, but couldn't find any.

It seems fun, I might try to participate the next time.

Kaodi

Hero
Hey...

You need to post these kind of challenges earlier, Staffan. Anyway, I liked the trivia way back when, but I've supposedely " won " first and second in RPG Trivia Overload, and once in an UnCon challenge, but never have the supposed prizes materialized. That isn't to say that I am interested only if there are prizes, but I don't like being misled...

SteelDraco

First Post
Wow, I remember doing that, years ago. Been a long time since I was on the WotC chat rooms.

Dang, the memories. I wonder if anybody I'd remember is still around?

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases