A completely new system - Is there any interest?

Hautamaki

First Post
Hi all, I'll start off by letting everyone know I'm new here. Please forgive me for any stupidity that ensues as a result. I was referred here by a fellow gamer, who suggested that this was a great place to get some feedback.

I first started played D&D 1st edition when I was only 11 years old. I skipped AD&D because I didn't even realise it was available; I just happened to find a players handbook and a module for D&D in my parent's basement one day. I realised early on the problems with basic D&D, and, not realising anything else was available, my friends and I basically homebrewed everything, retaining only the basic gameplay and themes of D&D. Later on, after I left high school in fact, I met another group of serious D&D 3.5 players who turned me on to all the latest sourcebooks. I played a few campaigns with them, and learned the rules pretty well. But I noticed the same flaws in the D&D system that everyone else has, and I'd been homebrewing for so long that I couldn't help but think I could design a better system. So, for the last year, I've been doing that. I don't claim that this system is any more 'fun' on an absolute scale, all I claim is that it's been more fun for me and my gaming group. I can see the appeal of D&D very well, and I'm certainly aware of its strengths as well as its weaknesses. What I have done is design a new system with different strengths, and I was hoping that some of you, particularly the insane power gamers, could provide some feedback on this system, and perhaps show me if and where it can be broken. I'm hoping that nobody prints it off and publishes it under their own name though!

I'll make a brief introduction to my system, and if there's a lot of interest, I'll risk getting ripped off and take the chance of posting it. Right now it's 135 pages though, and it's basically pure content because the wording hasn't been dumbed down or idiot-proofed yet. It's not ready to be published--in its present state it's really suitable only for experienced, mature gamers who can make judgement calls and use their common sense on some of the things that haven't been spelled out completely in black and white. There is also a great deal more left up to DM discretion than you'd see in a D&D book, because, essentially, that's how I feel it ought to be. If I'm the DM and I want such and such to be so and so, that's exactly what it's going to be, regardless of what it says in some book.

Weaknesses of D&D (as percieved by me and my gaming group)

1) At low levels the dice are king. Almost anything is possible with a lucky roll, and with an unlucky roll, almost anything is impossible. As has been pointed out in other threads, frogs can occasionally out-wrestle polar bears under d20 rules. On the other side of the coin, at high levels the D20 system breaks down. A mere 20 points of difference is pretty insignificant when stacked up against bonuses of 30, 50, 80 or more points. There's just no scaling.

2) Character creation, rolling of stat points, etc, is a really stressful affair. Low rolls leaves you with a ho-hum person for a character, certainly not a hero. Whoever happens to roll best in the gaming group is going to have the best character, leaving the other players a little emasculated. On the other hand, point buy is a rather dry affair.

3) I don't like the base stats: str, dex, con, int, wis, cha. They aren't balanced for one; cha sucks, you know it, I know it, everyone knows it, cha is almost always the lowest stat score. They aren't intuitive for another; why is Str used for melee 'to hit' rolls? To me, Dex makes a lot more sense as your chance to hit something. Why distinguish between wis and int? And why assign a player a wis and int score at all for that matter? Didn't Forrest Gump teach us that 'stupid is as stupid does'? What if you have a real life idiot playing a character with high int and wis? There are good answers to all these questions of course; balance and etc. But the answers are not as elegant as I'd like; basically they're still trying to squeeze the round peg into the square hole, because D&D first edition created those stats, and changing things too much is anathema. As a side point, I have similar problems with D&D's skill system.

4) Physical combat is exceedingly dry, especially at low levels. All it is, basically, is rolling to hit and then rolling damage. There is very little strategy, especially at low level when you have no options, and also especially in 1v1 combat. One monster vs one hero in physical combat is just taking turns trying to hit and damage each other. There are a couple of feats designed to give players some kind of options, Power Attack for example, but a lot more could be done.

5) Magic is just insane. There are so many different spells and they have such a huge variety of effects and consequences as to make designing a campaign at high level almost impossible without being intimately familiar with the party. High level combat is replete with disintegrating rays, power word kill, and other insta-kill spells without number. Why crawl through a dungeon when you can scry, dimension-door, teleport, fly, etc, whatever? Why even play when you can simply 'Wish' or 'Miracle'? Of course the DM is supposed to think of ways around these powers, or limit them, but then players feel cheated; they figured their 20th level mage could exert ultimate influence over the cosmos (which they can, basically) but then you tell them, what, there's an anti-magic field around the enemy or something? No, magic is broken in D&D. It's impossible to manage and balance, it leaves the fighters looking like tools, standing around watching while the mages and clerics decide the fate of the universe, and even if it were to be balanced somehow, the spell descriptions alone strain the suspension of disbelief. Ok, so suppose your fighter lives through the 20th level fireball the size of a small mountain. The question is begged; how? Moreover, spells are probably over 50% of the material that has to be 'learned'. The spell section of any sourcebook is enormous. Every magic using class has dozens of spells available at a given level. It's unwieldly, unbalanced, and mostly inelegant.

6) Other smaller problems: A 12th level fighter could easily wade into an army of thousands of first level fighters and slay them all. At what point does 'cool' become 'ridiculous'. Ranged weapons, bows, etc, are not a viable primary choice. Sure it's nice to have a bow or something, and it could come in handy in certain situations, but a character designed around ranged combat is pretty underpowered compared to most anything else. Some of the rules there are ridiculous; like if you have your bow out and see a monster at the end of a 60 foot hallway, so long as the monster wins the initiative, he can sprint and hit you before you get a shot off (!?!?!!? WHAT?).

Solutions:
1) A scaled system is used for ability checks, attack rolls, etc. Low level characters begin with 3d6, and add a d6 as they gain levels. What this results in is scaled randomness. Because of the bell curve, unbelievable results, like toads beating polar bears, is basically impossible (especially in light of other rules). However, the scaled dice means that luck still retains some significance even at high levels.

2) Character's based stats are rolled 2d6 + 6. The bonus derived from stats is 1/3rd the score. So a score of 12-14 is +4, 15-17 is +5, 18-20 +6, and so on. Players also get 4-6 (d3+3) bonus points to add on where they like. But, I give players only one chance to roll stats (unless they somehow roll something really ridiculously absymal). The effects here are many fold. First off, even if one player rolls well compared to the others, his actual bonuses are unlikely to be significantly higher. Consider these two sets of scores: 12, 15, 15, 18, 12 and 14, 17, 17, 20, 14. Both scores have the same net bonus: +4, +5, +5, +6, +4, even though the second set adds up to 10 points higher. Also, you'll notice the bonuses are all higher at the lower scores. A 12 isn't +1, it's +4. And an 18 isn't +4, it's +6. There's 2 things happening here: 1, the difference between a 12 and an 18 is small, only 33%. In D&D the difference is 400%. 2, in general, bonuses are higher relative to the roll. In D&D if you're a normal low level character doing a str check, you're rolling d20 + ~(0-4). In this system, an average str check at low levels is 3d6 + ~(4-7). A great deal of the effect of randomness is removed. Yet at high levels, by adding additional dice, the effect of luck is preserved rather than becoming insignificant.

3) My base stats are Strength, Agility, Perception, Vitality, and Will. There's no charisma, wisdom, or intelligence, because to me those are role-playing stats. Your character's intelligence, wisdom, or charisma are up to how you play him, simple as that. Those 5 stats are all extremely well balanced (if I do say so myself! Watch as I toot my own horn =[ ), and in my game of experienced players all trying to power game, each one of them chose a different priority. These skills also account for all saves (a reflex save is agility, a will save is will, a fort save is vit, etc) and for some skills. For example, I much prefer a base 'Perception' check to 'spot', 'listen', and 'search' checks. How does someone get better at seeing something anyways?

Also the skill/class system seemed kind of inelegant to me. So suppose you're a fighter but you also want to have a lot of 'skills'. So you can multi-class into a rogue. The problem in practice is that this is highly complex and there are ways you can figure out to tweak it so that you maximise your character's power. Power gamers have complex 'builds' to create super characters that far outstrip a normal character at the same level. In my game, the skill system has been highly simplified while at the same time allowing for far greater customisation of characters and retaining all of the flavor and fluff of D&D. In short, you can do anything with this system that you can do in D&D, but you can do it more easily and it's harder to 'break'.

4) As someone who has trained and competed seriously in mixed martial arts, I have a much better idea than 99% of the world how real fights actually go down. This knowledge is directly reflected in my combat rules, which feature a great deal more depth and strategy than standard D&D taking turns hitting each other rules. I have over 100 feats devoted solely to physical combat. This system also has consequences for more detailed weapon and armour design, and the whole physical combat system is in general a great deal more fun. So much fun in fact that whole campaigns can be designed around single 1v1 physical combat (a gladiator tourney for example) and the fights are still extremely fun and varied. Different weapon choices and feat tree selections lead to a great deal of variety. Naturally this is kind of hard to balance, so I fear that balance is currently probably the greatest weakness of my game (power gamers can help me here a great deal!)

5) I conduct my campaign basically as a low to no magic campaign. Some magic is essential of course, after all, it's still fantasy; and nobody really wants to rest for 6 months while they recover from their broken leg. But magic is greatly greatly reduced. All my classes are first and foremost combat classes (Paladin, Ranger, Berserkir, Gladiator, Swordmaster, and Assassin). However, they all have some 'magic-like' abilities, either directly related to phsyical combat (but no auto-death abilities!) or healing. Other stuff, particularly scrying or transportation type magic is just too hard to balance and control. As the DM, I am the sole arbiter of what and when my players find things out, and where they can go and at what time and how quickly. All magic-like stuff is basically handled as a feat. There are no gigantic spell lists to memorise, and it's not like in D&D, where if a fighter gains a level maybe he can choose a single feat from a small selection of feats, but when the magic user gains a level he can choose a ton of new spells from a gigantic list. The great Sid Meier once said that a great game consists of a series of interesting choices. Based on that criteria, it's pretty easy to see that not only are magic using classes more powerful, they are also more inherently 'fun' than fighter classes.

6) Because of the way I redesigned the rule system from the ground up, silly things like these basically disappear. Although a 12th level fighter can annihilate a first level fighter, or even a few of them, if he pisses off a group of peasants (like 10 or more) he's probably going down (There are two ways the peasants can win in my system; A, a character gets accumulating penalties to defense every time he's attacked in the same round. He can block the first couple attacks every time with ease, but by the time he's getting hit 5+ times in a round, his defence is penalised by 20 points and soon doesn't matter any more; just as it would be in real life. Even worse for the fighter, if the peasants decide to just jump on him, they can combine all their strength scores for a grapple check. Then 4 or 5 of them can hold him down while the others finish him off. Basically, if the figther can't eliminate enough enemies on his first attack that there aren't more than 3 or 4 left, he's pretty screwed). And this is totally realistic. Do you think Hulk Hogan in his prime could take on 6 ordinary yet determined men with baseball bats at the same time? Even if he had a baseball bat of his own? Of course not. This eliminates the problem of having a party of high level characters being able to overthrow a kingdom by challenging it's entire army on the open field and winning with ease.

Another example is the ranged combat example. In my system, initiatives are sometimes not even rolled because whose turn it is first rarely matters. The first attack always goes to the guy with the longer reach. If you're a character with a bow and you spot an orc at the end of the hallway, you always get to fire an arrow before he gets to you. If you have a great sword and the other guy has a battle axe, you have first swing whether it's his 'turn' or yours.

Well that's a basic introduction to the rules. As I say, it's NOT D&D, so if nobody is interested in something that's NOT D&D, I won't bother posting it, but if you're looking for something that's a lot more intuitive and balanced than D&D, but that has just as much if not more overall depth to the combat system, I might have just what you're looking for. If nothing else, there's sure to be some interesting ideas you can use.

This all sounds pretty interesting and I definitely see where you're coming from. When I DM, I fudge or at least change a lot of rules when the game gets too ridiculous or bogged down. A lot of people I know see D&D as a kind of video game without pictures and it kinda ticks me off. I'd like to see D&D as more of a story, or at least a movie. What you're doing sounds like a step in the right direction.

So I'd be very interested in seeing something like this. Maybe I could help you out somehow?

Last edited:

Land Outcast

Explorer
I quite like your comments on ranged combat, and battling several creatures... but bows remain as secondary as ever.

I'll look over the rest eventually... Could you hang up here the Document with the info?

Last edited:

Sravoff

First Post
I very much like what you have stated here. I would be very interested to see how this all turns out, please post!! :D

I also see D&D as a opertunity to tell stories. Mainly because I suck at coming up with more than one interesting character, thats what my players are for. So if this system of yours has anything offer to stories I would be very much interested to see it! Which it does to me.

So yes! Please! Post! I would very much like to read your system!!

-Sravoff

I also am intrigued by many of your ideas...I personally have no problem with changing "the Rules", but alas, my group is not so brave...they like "plug and play" alterations...

...however I am launching a new campaign and am trying to address many of the things you point out...from a little closer to the the RAW, so as to fool my group into trying it out...

...anyway, point is, I would be eager to see your rules.

Aikuchi

Transient
I've re written the rules so many times, I think I'm starting to forget what RAW looks like (lol) ... i think.

I see 'realistic' combat as iffy. It largely group dependant - but my players would like options, moreso than offered in RAW in physical combat (melee or ranged), but dont want to be bogged down by several paragraphs of heavy text detailing cicumstances and ccriteria in which to use them ... hoewver interesting they may be.
Thats mostly my concern over 'dynamic' combat systems.

As for magic scaling up against more physical combat oriented professions ... yea, well I've lowered magic somewhat for most of my games as well as made bookkeeping less of a hassle for my players (who aren't the sort who likes bookkeeping to begin with; loving options but not tediousness). Magic is chancey nonetheless and I've moggled some ideas from True20 and other sources to make it more ... unpredictable.

I am keen on your new atrrribute system and how it applies to later ability, saves and skill rolls. It looks like a revamp of the skill and skill subset system as well.

Ever as curious as the EN-Worlders can be, elaborate and share; I cant get enough :D

Arkhandus

First Post
I'm not really disinterested in seeing what you've designed, but from your introduction, I see several things I would disagree with. I"ll very briefly mention a few that stick out as killing any fun I could have expected to have in D&D.

A lot of folks don't want to just play "swords and a bit of sorcery on the side," and having so little focus on magic gives the impression that there isn't really going to be anything 'fantastic' about the adventures, campaigns, or locations. Don't see how flying cities, merfolk metropolises at the bottom of the sea, giant gates to abyssal planes spewing forth fiends, dragons belching fire and lightning, legendary swords, flying carpets, rings of invisibility, and stone golems could ever fit into such a place. Let alone how the pitiable 'heroes' of the world could ever stand against such things as dragons and golems and fiends, when a small mob of a few ordinary peasants with smithy hammers and kitchen knives could defeat said 'heroes'.

You seem to put more emphasis on number of aggressors than on skill, equipment, and experience. Just doesn't seem very heroic to me, that a few goblins or thieves could overpower and mug/kill a so-called 'hero' while he's out deer-hunting on his own while the rest of the PCs make camp. Regardless of how much more skilled and experienced this 'hero' may be. I somehow rather doubt, from the description, that your system really even gives PC 'heroes' the benefit of heroic luck; it's probably entirely left up to DM fiat to decide if the PCs are favored by fate or just ordinary chumps who are just as likely to die to a surprise crossbow bolt to the chest when sneaky raiders attack, as ordinary-and-unadventurous-and-risk-averse Joe Farmer is.

How much do you downplay ranged weapons? An arrow can darned well kill a man if it hits right, and it can hit right from a considerable distance. It'll take a while for Bob Swordsman to reach Bill Archer, while Bill's planting feathered shafts of iron-tipped doom into Bob's stupid chest and neck. In 3E D&D at least, ranged weapons aren't just dismissable; I've seen archery-focused characters take down dragons and experienced warriors alike, without ever getting hit themselves. They can fire an impressive volley of shots each round, with significant damage bonuses, critical multipliers, and threat ranges, though the damage bonuses are admittedly somewhat lower than in melee (for lack of any ranged Power Attack).

Just because Joe Shmuck the Roleplayer isn't a genius doesn't mean that he should be stuck playing characters that are only as smart, quick-witted, clever, and good with puzzles as he himself is. Why force players to only RP characters of the same mental capacities, when they are already allowed to RP characters much stronger, tougher, faster, more agile, and more handsome than themselves? May as well force them to have physical character stats appropriate to the player himself or herself, and that's not very fun either.

Having some mental/social stats and skills on the character sheet allows for a character to be more capable mentally than the player, just as they can be more capable physically. So what if Joe Shmuck can't think up an immediate solution to a time-sensitive puzzle or other conundrum? If his character is Ran-Kaezor the Sage and Master Engineer to the King of Varduun, he should darned well be able to make an Intelligence check or Knowledge (architecture and engineering) or Knowledge (mathematics) or Knowledge (puzzles and riddles) check to figure something out! And just because Joe Shmuck is no charmer himself, it doesn't mean that his PC can't be a popular and effective politician with the lords and ladies at court. The system should at least support the possibility of such circumstances, IMHO.

Surprise in combat should be able to provide a decisive advantage (thus initiative, to an extent). Powerful magic should be available for campaigns that feature it (like Forgotten Realms or Greyhawk or Planescape), but by no means does it have to be world-shaking power. And y'know, the PCs can't very well usurp the kingdom just because they're high-level; the King probably has mid- or high-level protectors in the Royal Guard, and there are bound to be experienced officers in the kingdom's army and the city watch.

So, while some of your ideas are in agreement with my own experiences and observations about D&D, I don't think I'd personally be interested in your variant system, because it has some less-than-true assumptions, less-than-heroic focus, and less-than-decent support for different play styles beyond 'gritty swords n' bit o' sorcery', from what I gather. Others may agree, but I'm sure that, like several who have already posted, there are also plenty of folks who love that playstyle.

green slime

First Post
I agree wholehearteldy with Arkhandus.

Also:
While in a real medieval society, 12 peasants might be physically able to take down an armoured knight, in the real world, it didn't happen much at all. Why?

Because running through the mind of the peasant are the following thoughts: Tangling with one is bound to get you killed or worse, and do you want to be the first one to step out and provoke his ire? He has probably already killed more men than you have fleas!

Thirdly:
As someone who has trained and competed seriously in mixed martial arts, I have a much better idea than 99% of the world how real fights actually go down.

Really? 99%? So basically 5 billion 940 million people have no clue about "real" fights.... Please, we can do without the hyperbole. I'm not interested in your credentials. In fact, I'm not interested in real fights.

Real fight? I strike you down from behind with an axe blow to the head, you're going down. That was exciting. Let's roleplay that again.

And lastly:
Nobody in their right mind swung a "greatsword". (Too slow, too unbalancing). They were used in a fashion akin to polearms, to defend musketeers while they reloaded.

Remove ads