• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

A CON of 5!

clvrmonkey

First Post
I give my players the option of fudging their stat scores at creation if they are really low. While not allowing them to get outrageous, the character should be enjoyable to play.

One of my players created a half-elf rogue. One of his rolls was a 5, which initially he changed, but after thinking about it he decided to keep it for no better reason than it would make for some good roleplaying.

Now we are trying to figure out the best way to fit that into the game. Initially his idea was like a Doc Holliday character, suffering from some disease. It's a nice idea, and one we might use. I was just curious how y'all might run such a character.

I was also thinking of making him like Billy Bob Thornton's character from "Bandits". A severe hypochondriac (sp?) but some of his illnesses would be real as well.

Any thoughts?

Crothian

First Post
The problem with basing it off of diesases, is diseases can be cured. This isn't some 10 con character with a r=educed score because of disease. THis is someone born with a 5 Con.

Overweight, winded from walking down a flight of stairs, this is not the type of character who should be adventurering.

I like the idea!

I'm not sure whether you are asking for character-roleplaying tips or practical skill & combat tips. But they might be related questions ...

I'd make him an ultra-smart rogue, instead of an ultra-dexterous rogue. Put the hightest stat in INT--which is not a bad idea for a rogue, considering the skill points he would get!

And then I'd choose skills such as disguise, bluff, forgery, etc. Make him a crafty manipulator rather than a thug.

And I guess I'd make him neurotically concerned about keeping himself clean and safe, always afraid that he'll get sick if he doesn't keep warm, keep clean, eat right, get plenty of sleep, etc. In other words, he may be the kind of guy to whom it never would have occurred to become an adventurer if it weren't for his insatiable _______ (insert 'greed,' 'curiosity,' or 'vindictiveness.')

That'll be two cents please!

clvrmonkey

First Post
The problem with basing it off of diesases, is diseases can be cured.

Hmm... ya know, I hadn't thought of that. Still, curing diseases proposes other difficulties. Even supposing a temple cures diseases for free, you still have to get to that temple. A cleric in the party would have to use a spell slot, or if they regularly have Cure Disease anyway, what if someone else gets a magical disease?

And I guess I'd make him neurotically concerned about keeping himself clean and safe, always afraid that he'll get sick if he doesn't keep warm, keep clean, eat right, get plenty of sleep, etc. In other words, he may be the kind of guy to whom it never would have occurred to become an adventurer if it weren't for his insatiable _______ (insert 'greed,' 'curiosity,' or 'vindictiveness.')

I like it. I am going to suggest the neurosies regarding cleanliness, it definitely makes sense. The player is working on his backstory as we speak, and since this whole thing was his idea I'm sure he'll cover why he decided to adventure in the first place.

uv23

First Post
Crothian said:
this is not the type of character who should be adventurering.

I guess Elric of Melnibone was pretty confused then hmm? :p I bet he has atleast a -2 con modifier and he still kicked ass :) Granted he had his special serum but his condition was not one that could be "cured."

MythandLore

First Post
I think it's a cool idea.
Real heroes go out and do what they got to do regardless of their health.

I think you could make him a heavy smoker or give him a 'cronic condition' that is non-curable like sever asthma.

Last edited:

Crothian

First Post
uv23 said:

I guess Elric of Melnibone was pretty confused then hmm? :p I bet he has atleast a -2 con modifier and he still kicked ass :) Granted he had his special serum but his condition was not one that could be "cured."

Never read the book. I'm not saying that circumstances can't happend that the character would adventure. That can be a really cool part of the characters background. However, I don't see it as being his choice to do this. I should have explained that. :)

333 Dave

First Post
A 5 CON character might have been born with a calcium deficiency that no amount of milk in the world could overcome, or maybe a heart defect that makes him spend most of his energy just making sure his circulation is continued. There are many possible congenital defects that could cause a 5 con...

Remove ads