• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

A couple interesting things I noticed in Heroes of Shadow

Mercurius

Legend
So I caved and bought he book. Well, to be honest, I was going to Amazon to cancel my pre-order and noticed that it was already being prepared to be shipped. I'm actually pleasantly surprised - I won't get a lot of use out of it, but it isn't a bad book, especially not for the $16.42 I spent on it.

Anyhow, there are two things I wanted to talk about. One, in the "About This Book" section it mentions the Essentials books but never the original core rulebooks. In other words, it seems that WotC is now saying that the two Heroes books and Rules Compendium are core. Interesting. This also paves at least the possibility of a new, revised Player's Handbook. But that is pure (wishful) speculation. It may actually be more likely that they just stick with the three Essentials books as the new core.

The other thing I wanted to mention was just a general comment about the book itself. Heroes of Shadow is in some sense Players Handbook IV. It is shorter - 159 pages with larger font size and more space - but it includes similar information to a Players Handbook: new classes, new races, paragon paths, epic destinies (and not much else); I guess you could say that it is a hybrid between a PHB and a Player's Guide.

So I would call it a "lite" version of a PHB, which with the Feywild book coming out seems to be the new approach going forward. One would surmise that we might see others in the Player's Option series. I wouldn't even be surprised if we see them re-do the Martial, Divine, Primal, and Arcane classes and races in this format, but who knows.

Anyhow, a pretty good book. Some bad art (don't look at page 97 - you've been warned!), but some pretty good art too (the cover is nice - great sword, plus a few nice William O'Connor pieces).

WalterKovacs

First Post
Anyhow, there are two things I wanted to talk about. One, in the "About This Book" section it mentions the Essentials books but never the original core rulebooks. In other words, it seems that WotC is now saying that the two Heroes books and Rules Compendium are core. Interesting. This also paves at least the possibility of a new, revised Player's Handbook. But that is pure (wishful) speculation. It may actually be more likely that they just stick with the three Essentials books as the new core.

They did mention that the three Essential books (in fact the 10 Essential Products) are supposed to be Evergreen, basically the core stuff that stores should always keep in stock. They have/are doing a revised Player's Handbook ... but the actual book was canceled and is being put up (for free) on the wizards website, including feats that allow you to mix and match some class features from Essential versions and PHB1(2) versions of the same class. Most of the information from the PHB has been updated, and reprinted, in the Essential books (rituals and a few feats are really the only things not covered by the 3 core player books or the Class Compendium stuff they are putting out.)

Aegeri

First Post
I don't think there is any great deception going on here in regards to those books. Wizards made it pretty clear that they were keeping the essentials stuff in print and its the most updated version of the rules. Would you be happy getting into 4E now to be told to get the original PHB, only to discover a great deal of the book is getting free errata (basically) and is heavily out of date?

I don't know about you, but that sounds like it would cause far more drama.

Mercurius

Legend
I'm not sure what you are referring to, Aegeri, but I am not saying there is some great deception going on. It is just interesting to note that the PHB is no longer really part of the current 4E product line.

WalterKovacs, I am aware of the Sword & Spell material - I just wish they would publish a new hardcover PHB. Call me old-fashioned, but I like the hardcover PHBs.

That said, does anyone know when the Sword & Spell version of the Ranger is due out? Or whatever the post-Essentials but still-Powered Ranger will be?

CelticMutt

First Post
Currently other than the Fighter/Weapon Master and Warlord/Marshal, we know the Rogue/Scoundrel, Cleric/Templar, and Wizard/Arcanist were to be in the book, and will come out over the next few months (order not released yet), and that they are also doing one for Warlocks with a target date of June. Beyond that they haven't mentioned any of the other classes.
Are there no racial feats for Shades in the book?
There are no racial feats for Shades or Vryloka. I fully expect racial utilities to replace racial feats soon.

Zaran

Adventurer
That said, does anyone know when the Sword & Spell version of the Ranger is due out? Or whatever the post-Essentials but still-Powered Ranger will be?

Because there was never a book with an updated ranger announced I doubt they will devote any resources to getting the ranger updated. I think the only reason why we got the ones we did is because of the clamor about the cancelled book. Now that's not say that we won't see errata for them in June. Who knows?

Remove ads