• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

A couple interesting things I noticed in Heroes of Shadow

CelticMutt

First Post
That's not why we're getting the CC articles - they decided to make them into articles when they canceled the book, not after a handful of people complained.

WalterKovacs

First Post
Because there was never a book with an updated ranger announced I doubt they will devote any resources to getting the ranger updated. I think the only reason why we got the ones we did is because of the clamor about the cancelled book. Now that's not say that we won't see errata for them in June. Who knows?

From Rule of Three:

Will we see hybrid or multiclassing rules for the Heroes of Shadow builds?
Yes. April’s Dragon sees the release of feats that allow you to swap powers and features from Heroes of the Fallen Lands with character classes from other sources. For instance, a fighter built using Player’s Handbook can swap encounter powers for power strike, while a knight or slayer can do the reverse. In May, we’ll extend that support to Heroes of the Fallen Kingdoms.
For Heroes of Shadow, we will be releasing similar support, along with hybrid support for the classes that still need it, in May

And from an earlier Rule of Three:

2.png
clear.gif
Will there be any update to the original warlock class features of Warlock’s Curse and various powers (similar to the rogue’s Sneak Attack and the wizard’s spells received in Heroes of the Fallen Lands)?

The warlock from Player’s Handbook will receive the same update treatment as the five classes mentioned above—which will include ensuring that the warlock’s class features and powers inflict enough damage. Expect this update treatment to appear in Dragon, with a target date of June. (We might need to push that date back, as we’ve just kicked off the project, but that is our target date.)

So yeah, it does seem that May/June, give or take a bit, might be when we see stuff for the warlock, paladin, ranger and maybe druid. [Although the scout does have power strike, so he has the option of taking the feat to grab a ranger encounter power]

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
When some of us said "they are replacing the PHB", oh the brooh-ha-ha. And honestly, they really haven't. (They have replaced the MM and, as far as I can tell, the DMG). We still use that book more then any other, by a ways. But I guess the retrofits in Dragon covers the gap, sort of.

A few years down the line, they might have another way of skinning this cat. A class compendium? Advanced PHB? And of course, the unmentionable so unmentionable I won't mention it.

Mercurius

Legend
Just say it, TerraDave, you know you want too...Fift...oh, nevermind.

Anyhow, while I'm not crazy about Essentials I have to admit that I love the Rules Compendium - I use that at the table more than any book, and more than I used to use the PHB because it is just easier.

But yeah, it isn't a matter of if they'll skin the cat again but when. Of course the "DDI as the new core" approach might make that superfluous. I hope not as I like my books.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
Yes, as a rules reference, the RC has replaced it. (I have to admit, that and the MV have been very good purchases. DM screen also OK). But in terms of players option, the PHB, or at least the errated version there of, has held up well.

Mercurius

Legend
We have to stop agreeing on everything, TerraDave.

Hey, it is too bad you're in DC (I assume) - I have a feeling we'd enjoy gaming together.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
Finally looking at it, it has some good stuff, and great flavour, but does feel a little funny..Putting the races after the classes, the (different) ways various classes are presented, the need to have seperate subsections cattering to "classic" 4E versions "essentials" 4E. And of course, why essentials style again? Can't combine poison with some dailes? Can't give the vampire a few more choices?

So I do get nyroglyphs (SIC) complaint...and thought with all the ideas here, how nice it would have been if it just followed the PHB/Power book format.

Remove ads