A critique and review of the Fighter class

Irlo

Hero
1e didn't have proficiencies, you either could use a weapon or you couldn't, based on your class. Of course, until Unearthed Arcana came out, there wasn't any weapon specialization either...
1e characters could use any weapon on their class lists even if not proficient, but with a non-proficiency penalty on their attack rolls.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
1e fighters could be proficient in any weapon, but they were limited in the number of weapon proficiencies based on level.
Ah that is right, basic D&D had no proficiency limit. I cannot say I even saw Unearthed Arcana till 3e era.

Nor apparently is my memory good enough to remember it in the PHB

Last edited:

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
I think the most effective defender I had was, bizarrely enough, the strangest one. Dragonborn (fear) Fighter/Snapping Tetsudo. Far from the best Paragon Path (I took it on a dare, lol, as someone said there was no way it could be good), but I got to the point that the DM just gave up.

We had a large battle with a demon and a bunch of minions in the Shadowfell. I moved up, used my dragonfear to mark every enemy on the field (I even actually hit some with it, to my surprise!), used my minor action to use an Intimidate Utility power to give all enemies -5 to hit anyone other than me, action pointed (which gave me a +4 AC boost from Snapping Tetsudo) then full defensed (for another +4 AC).

The DM stopped the game to rant at me for a few minutes, since giving all his enemies -7 to hit anyone other than me, while I had just upped my AC by 8 gave him no good tactical options.

To which I replied, in my best Jack Sparrow impression, "Fighter!". I mean, forcing a Catch-22 was the whole point of the Defender role! And it wasn't like I could do that every turn.

But one turn was all my allies needed to seriously thin out the ranks.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
I think the most effective defender I had was, bizarrely enough, the strangest one. Dragonborn (fear) Fighter/Snapping Tetsudo. Far from the best Paragon Path (I took it on a dare, lol, as someone said there was no way it could be good), but I got to the point that the DM just gave up.

We had a large battle with a demon and a bunch of minions in the Shadowfell. I moved up, used my dragonfear to mark every enemy on the field (I even actually hit some with it, to my surprise!), used my minor action to use an Intimidate Utility power to give all enemies -5 to hit anyone other than me, action pointed (which gave me a +4 AC boost from Snapping Tetsudo) then full defensed (for another +4 AC).

The DM stopped the game to rant at me for a few minutes, since giving all his enemies -7 to hit anyone other than me, while I had just upped my AC by 8 gave him no good tactical options.

To which I replied, in my best Jack Sparrow impression, "Fighter!". I mean, forcing a Catch-22 was the whole point of the Defender role! And it wasn't like I could do that every turn.

But one turn was all my allies needed to seriously thin out the ranks.
Love the Catch-22 of the fighter

well I have never stopped a game to rant, I have inbetween games asked players to rebuild less optimized after moments like this. "You got me... it was great, but I don't want to have to plan around you having that option every major encounter... and neither do you"

But we have a M.A.D. thought process even today with counterspell. 1 or 2 Npc/monsters useing it not an issue, a player getting it and having a BIG moment every few levels... great... if you as the player or I as the DM start useing it every encounter, then what's good for the goose is good for the gander and you will ALWAYS see the DM wins the arms race...

The issue is the other players. If 1 player gets an arms race with the monsters, it can leave the others behind.

lingual

Adventurer
1e fighters could be proficient in any weapon, but they were limited in the number of weapon proficiencies based on level. Specialization was introduced to 1e in Unearthed Arcana, and it took extra proficiency slots to use it.
And proficiency in Longsword and Broadsword were two completely different things!

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
For some weird reason, IIRC Monks had the fastest progression...with a limited selection to choose from...and open hand attacks anyways...
Does anything about the Monk class make sense? The DMG even has a hidden rule limiting even the Grand Master of Flowers to being unable to stun or kill a creature that is taller than 9' 2" and weighing more than 1100 pounds! You know, like a lot of high level opponents!

Remove ads