A Demon Slayer's Tale

Jeremy

Explorer
Laurel is dear to Bocata in many ways, not the least of which, she's the only one still with him.

Van was killed and reincarnated as Gan whom I believe was killed and had his soul stolen. Delitrias fled the carnage for a quieter life away from politics on the icy islands of the north. Habback seemingly switched teams, but in reality, Habback was always on his own team. Leafwalker and Po were disintegrated.

Nothing remained of those who had seen him through the iron golems, the destruction of the doom device, the contract assassins who had killed and animated Laurel and forced Bocata to blast her at one point into oblivion, the stand against the horde outside the City of Swords...

Nothing save Laurel.

Leafwalker took on an alias and is attempting to help from the sidelines with political clout. Habback is doing the same though making more money at it and advancing his own goals just as fast (or more likely faster). Po was never returned to life. The soul gem holds his other travelling companion.

So yes, those two are close. At least Bocata still has his heritage, his trade, and his vengeance to hold onto. Laurel is somewhat adrift. Bocata is her center and her life. Outside of burying herself in study of magic, she has nothing else left in the world.

Last edited:

Arknath

First Post
Gaming partners

Vadicus (the DM) and Jeremy (playing a cleric I have yet to introduce) are players in the same group as I. Vadicus has done a wonderful job in the first session of this new campaign and Jeremy's character, as you will see soon enough through the eyes of a big lizard, has a very cool concept behind him. Unfortunately, he's a little crazy and Bocata won't have much to say about him for a while simply because the crazy priest doesn't say much that makes sense. :)

Thanks guys for your comments and support!

Through the eyes of a Scholar

All hail! As you can see, I play the character of Laurel Silverblade. Sort of in reply to the Bocata-mania, I would like to write a bit about Laurel and let you all know where she is from and some of her thoughts and opinions. She was actually my very first character concept when I was introduced to D&D. I didn't play for a very long time after my first game with my old group, then I met Arknath and picked up the game again. It was after a few months of gaming that I had the opportunity to reintroduce Laurel. Mind you, none of my group was there when I created Laurel for the first time, so I had more of the opportunity to let her grow more as a person. Appearence wise, Laurel looks like Rebecca De Mornay in The Three Musketeers. Blonde hair, blue eyes, and beautiful wardrobe(when at all possible).

Memory: It was a sunny day out and I sat alone in my study, much to the dismay of mother and father. I was the only child of the Silverblade clan and it appeared to them and to me that the family tradition of our unique style of swordplay as well as the name would die with me. I was neither the boy they wanted nor the strong, agile tomboy they would have settled for. I was too wrapped up in my study of magic.

I heard my father outside my window torturing the young squires that idolized him with that chunk of metal they call a sword. The dull clank of steel grated on my nerves, but I suppose that is why they chose that particular window to be near while they made all that racket. It was just my father's way of trying to get me to come outside and challenge him. He had attempted when I was young to put steel in my hands and teach me how to use it, but to no avail. I was too weak, too frail, and constantly got hurt, so I turned to academic study.

After my father grew tired of smacking around the foolish boys that tailed him, he promptly came inside to deliver some news with obvious relish. I remember the door to my study, how it opened so slowly to the tidings Lord Silverblade brought. "You are no longer welcome in this home. Take your parchment and books and begone from here," he said with a smirk. I looked to my mother, but she only looked away. I was turned out on the street with nothing but the precious few coins that I was given and the few belongings that I held dear: parchment, a couple of books and the clothes that I wore that day. With those things I fled the City of Swords and everything that I had ever known.

Arknath

First Post
A Gathering of Allies (Part 1)

The day of my release was a long awaited one. After a year of brooding, thinking, and plotting I am finally free to put my plans into action. However, the first thing I was going to do was retrieve my armor.

“Your service is up and you have served your sentence.” A man of station informed Laurel, our troll companion Schmuck, and his gorillon companion Braegleoth, and myself as we stood in the great hall of the city. I believe his name is Samwell Goodheart.

“We hope you have seen the error of your ways and hope you are to become law-abiding citizens of Xad Nasser once again.” He lay the scroll down and another, lesser man rolled it up and put it away. Goodheart called for the next case.

The four of us were shuffled out into the daylight, which seemed different to me than before I entered the city hall.

”So that was it?” Laurel smirked. “Just a 5 minute reading and reprimand and we’re out? Hardly seems worth a year of servitude.”

“The less I hear come from the mouths of the so-called government here the better.” I retorted seeing a friendly face approaching us from the hall. “It seems that we are to be on our way promptly.” I motioned to Lord Nymn, who was quickly approaching our location.

“I have your things at my manse,” he said quickly, “I know you desire to be on the road south soon.”

Nymn is an excitable fellow whom seems more about his mouth and less about his wits than I am used to. Of course, he is cavorting with Lord Habback who was always the fast-talker in my opinion.

“Lead on.” I bade Nymn, for I did wish to be on the road south very soon.

He lead the four of us across town and to the mansion he called home. I dare not count the stares and looks that we received in that long but tortuously slow trek. Nymn seemed not in any hurry, and as I am wont to do, I tend to stride purposefully everywhere I travel. Nymn, bless his addled mind, talked about this and that as we strolled through the town. I understand that one must find friends where they may, but even some prices are difficult to pay, ally or no.

On our way, a creature stepped from an alleyway to address us, or should I say me. When I looked upon him in full, for he was one of my kindred, I stopped and peered at him for a long while. Nymn, in his absent-minded babble, kept walking and hadn’t yet realized I had paused. The creature let off a scent of greetings to me, and I returned it. However, I grew suspicious when the male did not get to the point of his reason for stopping me.

“Hail and be known,” I said in common larcetanian greeting.

I spoke the language of my people, which none around me could hear, save, I thought, this creature. My suspicion grew tenfold when the creature looked at me dumb-founded as if it had no idea what I had just imparted on it.

“Speak and waste not my time,” I growled at it, for I was anxious to be on the road and out of this forsaken city.

The male made a gesture of frustration and bade me to wait. Against my better judgment, and for pure curiosity’s sake, I stood.

He turned and went back down the alley. I waited for what seemed to be some time and even heard that Nymn had finally turned to see if anyone was listening to him and realized that none followed him aNymnore.

A minute or more went by. I grunted as I was fed up with this waiting game when, just as I was about to leave, a small gnome came from the alleyway where my kindred had departed.

“Bocata Si Nik Nik, I presume?” the little creature asked, looking up at my towering form.

‘Damn my reputation’, I thought. “Aye, and who are you, little one?” I tried to answer with as much patience as my armor-crafting experience would allow.

“I am Rhen and I have searched for you for many months,” he said with a flourish, “and I wish to talk with you for a moment.”

I had had just about enough of this foolishness and was not quite sure where it was leading. I looked back at the alleyway expecting the larcetan to show himself and so I could be rid of this little creature. I glanced back down at the gnome.

“May I speak with you?” the creature asked tentatively. The frustration on my face was apparent and I might have intimidated him a little more than I intended to.

“If you can keep up,” I muttered, and turned to follow Nymn who was starting to close the distance between our locations. I’d be damned if I had to walk more steps with that one at my side than I had to. The gnome began what sounded like a protest, but I wasn’t around to hear the rest it if. However, to my surprise, he did keep up.

After finally reaching the home of Lord Nymn, he reached into a chest and produced our equipment, magic items and all. I nearly wept when he pulled out my swords…

“The Hand and Shield of Oti Ni Nuad,” I said in a low voice, “how I have missed you.”

I swung the two blades in my hands, with practiced ease and intimate familiarity. These blades were but unwrought mithril whence I created them. Hard, misshapen chunks of precious metal that needed the caring touch of a skilled craftsmen. Now they were magnificent pieces of artwork, one that my people would be proud of. Of course, my mage-for-hire had enchanted the blades so that I would be better prepared for obstacles to come.

I looked at my host as he emptied my items in front of me. I counted everything there and made sure all was in order. However, my anger was apparent when I noticed that my armor was not in the chest.

“It is in the armoire, Bocata,” Nymn cooed, as if he had expected that reaction from me. It would seem I’m becoming too predictable.

Without waiting for the master of the house to open his own closet, I walked to the door of his armoire and swung it open. Here it was, my life’s work. Rageskin, the barrier that protects the heart of Oti Ni Nuad’s most loyal servant. I gently took it out, caressing the fine metal and tracing it with my finger tips as one might caress an old lover after a long month away at war. After several refreshing minutes, I donned my plate mail armor and slid my swords in their respective scabbards.

“My thanks, Nymn,” I offered, reaching out a hand in order to properly show gratitude as is the human custom, “I could not ask for more of a friend than you.”

I believe there was a blush in the lord’s cheeks. A strange thing that, blushing. I am refreshed that no larcetan has ever had reason to do so.

“Your thanks are not needed, Bocata,” Nymn replied, taking my offered hand. “You are free at last, and we hope that you stay this way.” He gave me a knowing nod.

I took the jab in stride. A younger, less wise Bocata might have taken great offense at such words, but he is the reason I landed myself in this situation in the first place. I nodded in agreement.

“Your kindness will not be forgotten,” Laurel spoke up from behind me. “You are a true friend to be sure.”

A few more pleasantries and ‘thank you’s were exchanged. Nymn offered to check in on us as often as he could to see how we fared. When I told him that we were heading south to the city of Paladium, he swallowed hard.

“It is a ravaged land, you know,” he said, “One that has seen demons and devils char it to black ash.” He posed pensively for a moment. “There is even talk of the undead walking around. If they have not seized Paladium, they will be nearby trying to.”

I nodded my head, “I have arranged for a few of my friends to meet me outside the city. Together, we shall vanquish the foes that besiege that town and restore it to its proper glory.”

Schmuck and Braegleoth opted to stay behind and work for Lord Nymn. However, I do not doubt that I shall need the troll and the girallon’s aid in the near future. Nor do I doubt that either will be hesitant to agree to any request I might make.

As we walked out of town, Rhen told me more of his powers. He was able to shift shapes as often as he liked, though he was not restricted to natural animals. The elder druids where I come from are capable of such feats of the body, but nothing to the magnitude that he could manifest.

After a few hours of travel, Rhen noticed that we were not going in a southerly direction.

“I believe that you want to go a little more to your left, sir knight,” the gnome said. “Paladium does not lie in the sea.”

I cast a sidelong glance at the little man, “I am aware of where Paladium is, sir…gnome. However, I am meeting a friend outside the city of Ayr who will be traveling with us.”

All the little gnome would say in reply was “Oh.”

After four days of marching and resting little, we came upon the appointed meeting spot. Jonas stepped out of the woods and hailed us.

“Greetings, master bard,” I said aloud, “Have you waited long?”

Jonas looked up at the sun and shook his head, “Only half a day. I had some things of my own to take care of.” He spoke softer as he walked forwards. “However, I do have some news for you.”

I am still amazed at the resourcefulness of this creature called Jonas. I have not asked for any information, yet he seems to be a wealth of it.

“A column of 50 knights comes from the north,” he said, “they look to hail from Hammerfell.”

Knights? What business would a column of knights have moving about in a time of peace? I chuckled inwardly at this. One could hardly call this peace, in my book, but that is another discussion.

“Friend or foe?” I asked.

“I believe that they are friendly,” Jonas replied, “Sir Oden leads them. He is a respectable knight and paladin to Equitas*. I think we might have an ally in him.”

I grinned. A paladin! What luck! And with a cadre of 49 knights behind him. This is good news indeed. I could not ask for a better start to my campaign.

“Can you play herald to them, Jonas?” I asked, “We would like to enlist their aid, perhaps, and we need to be diplomatic about this. I fear that diplomacy is not my strong point.”

“I have heard of your attempts at diplomacy, good knight,” Jonas chuckled, “and I have to say that some are good with swords, but others can wield words with far more potency.” Jonas laughed at his own joke.

I shrugged nonchalantly. “That may be true, sir bard. But let it be known that those who use words in such a way often find them hard to come by when the used of their mouth is denied by steel.” It wasn’t a challenge, just an observation.

Jonas returned my shrug and made out to the northeast, where he would meet with the column of knights when they turned for Ladoon.

“I shall go with you,” I told him, “it seems as though these people share my mind and views. I will speak to Sir Oden.”

As Jonas and I started towards the road between Ayr and Ladoon, Laurel called to me.

“I will be in the forest,” she said, “I have something to take care of.”

I looked at her quizzically. All she could offer was a slight nod of her head and a sad look in her eyes. I knew instantly what she was doing, then. She was trying to replace Damien** and I knew it was going to be tough for her.

“Archivell,” I looked toward the priest, “have the food ready upon our return.”

He looked at me hopelessly, “I have no means of hunting food, lord. But I am a fairly decent cook.”

Rhen chimed up then, “I will find us food.”

Just then, the little gnome’s bones begin to bend and break in unusual ways. He grew in size and apparent strength. He also grew more hideous as he grew taller. In a matter of a few short seconds this shapechanger turned himself into an ogre. Then, as if nothing had just happened, he went traipsing off into the forest looking for food.

“Keep an eye on Laurel.” I called after him. He grunted his understanding.

“Let us go, Jonas,” I said to the bard, “I am locked up for a year and the world goes to hell in a handbasket.”

*Equitas is the god of justice in our world.
**Damien was Laurel's last familiar. It has been 18 months since her loss and she's greived the entire time. Bocata realizes that summoning a new is necessary, but difficult. He laments the loss of his own mount.

Last edited:

Velenne

Explorer
Hello everyone! That's me playing Jonas. :)

To give everyone somewhat of a background on him:

Jonas was the son of a wealthy merchant who longed to be out of his home and a part of the world. He was pure misery on his father -always getting into trouble and disregarding the law and household rules. So when the day came that he demanded his inheritance, his father reluctantly gave it in the hope of gaining some measure of peace and that his son would learn the value of prudence out in the world.

Jonas had squandered most of his money before finding the love of his life. Settling down in a large city and opening a tavern with what he had left (plus a large loan from her father), he started a family and thought all was well in the world.

He used his buisness savvy to turn his wretched little tavern into a successful and well-respected establishment, even performing from time to time on stage. Yet his world came crumbling down upon discovering his wife's adulterous affair. It seemed that their bed had grown too cold for her during his extended trips to nearby cities.

He left in the night without a word.

He began travelling then, falling back on his performances to earn enough money for food. Yet his cleverness prevailed once more and he found he actually had quite the talent as a bard. His fame spread slowly at first, but exploded after a royal contest. He became famous for his patriotic music and played for many nobles and even kings.

Then, just as he did before, he vanished without a word.

Jonas has only recently reappeared, nearly twenty years later. The years seem to have been good to the bard, for his skill (it is said) is nearly unmatched in Xad'Nasser. He claims to have studied under master bards in the mainland Ersadia. All too quickly, he has caught up on the local lore, reestablished his contacts, and returned to the spotlight.

While he still plays his old patriotic music, he most revels in his many new songs which he plays for various courts and well-to-do individuals. Secretly however, the state of his homeland saddens him. For one, half of it has been destroyed. What is left is under the control of a tyrant who puts undead enforcers in the streets. He has waited for the release of Bocata and Laurel in the hopes that they have plans and contacts who can return his beloved home to its former grace.

Calim

First Post
Sounds great so far man wanted to sign in and set Rhen on his way as well

I am playing Rhen a human from the city of Epstyl. He is shifter who has managed to become very good at what he does for a living and a life. He is a bit of an experience junkie. He knows that he was born into the wrong body and the gods have given him the opportunity to find the body for himself.

His native city of Epstyl has recently been overrun with things that are trying to enforce the law where the law did not exist before. he being the experience Junkie he is he tried to study them well enough to become one, after all who knew maybe Rhen was supposed to be one of these. Then in the process of studying to become one something occured that Rhen had never seen before, the law was enforced and someone died because of it.

This was something very unsettling to Rhen, nothing like this is supposed to happen at home it is supposed to be safe and everyone is supposed to go along and be happy, then these things came. Rhen had to leave he could not stay around this maybe he could find somebody better able to deal with this maybe he could find someone in Ayr or the City of Swords.

While he was about he kept hearing of tale being told by many people and once by himself to earn some money for a night's stay in an inn, about a lizard and some others who had stood against this new law person Zurich. Maybe he could find this Lizard named Bocata and see if he could help.

Remove ads