A Deva Artificer?

Rhanta

First Post
Hey guys!

I'm planning to make a Deva Artificer.

Can you give me some tips or some advantages and disadvantages a Deva can have when I make them Artificers?

Shin Okada

Explorer
Deva will work just fine as an artificer as it has high Int and Wis.

An artificer can just live with Int. And IMHO controllers do need high attack modifier more than the other roles do. So I usually maximize the main stats of a controller (in case of Cleric, I usually go either Str 20 or Wis 20, never try to balance up two stats).

In case of Deva Artificer, after maximizing Int, you can go Con11/Wis14+2, Con13/Wis13+2, or even Con14/Wis11+2. Any of those stats will work fine IMHO. Even other builds can be fine. For example, you may want to have Dex13 for taking Dual Implement Spell Caster feat.

Many of the Artificer Power attacks single target. So Memory of a Thousand Lifetimes racial feature will work fine.

Artificer is a really customizable class. Which has both implement and Melee or Ranged Weapon powers. There will be so many good builds to make an artificer shine.

In the last sequel games, I made an human artificer who took Arcane Implement Proficiency (Swordmage/Heavy Blade) and Weapon Poficiency (Fullblade). And used Farbond Spellblade Fullblade as his implement/melee weapon/ranged weapon. One item works for every power (and in case of melee or ranged power, for both usage) was cost-effective. Thus he could spend more money on other items and ritual components.

And he could use all of his powers, melee, ranged close & area, without switching what he has in his hands. So he could always attack, regardless of his positioning. It prevented him from spending extra actions for movement. Also, his weapon powers were very effective (+3 proficiency bonus and 1d20 high crit).

tyrlaan

Explorer
Tinkerer Artificer seems the ideal choice. I'm fond of Crossbow Caster myself.

Agreed.

I'm playing a gnome artificer in an Eberron game that's a Tinkerer build. Crossbow Caster gets rid of the only real headache I've had with the class. One implement/weapon to rule them all is awesome. Only exception: I carry around a "backup" melee weapon for use with my daily Dancing Weapon power. Yes, I could use my crossbow, but then all my other powers would suck while it's out there doing a jig.

FWIW, I'm in a 4 player game and sometimes I wish I had a bit more healing at my disposal. At 7th, I've got my token heal power (good for 2 uses per encounter of course), a level 2 utility that doles out 20(!) temp hp but is a daily, and a level 6 encounter utility that sort of heals (5+Wis)x2 (it's an interrupt that gives resist 5+Wis to the triggering attack and then gives the ally temp hp equal to 5+Wis). This just doesn't feel like a lot of healing oomph to me, but to be honest I've yet to really play any other leader class so I could be very off-base.

On the other hand, the healing infusion is top notch. Especially if you get the feat that boosts the healing a couple points but scales with level. And to top it off, it's the only healing power out there to date that lets you effectively pool your party's healing surges. In some ways the artificer is the 15-minute adventuring day killer :)

The only other thing I can say is gauge your party makeup to decide how to best flesh out your array of powers. In the game I'm in, I use my powers primarily to support our defender and melee striker, so I have many summons and damage buffs.

Oh, and get Magic Weapon as one of your at-wills :)

Remove ads