A Dilemma: Artists Using NFT's & Vetting

aia_2

Custom title
If i may ask, could you pls point me out why NTF are to be handled with care? I miss it and i will possibily be in need of freelance artists in the next future... If there is a pit to avoid, i would really love to know about it so not to find myself in the pit!

aramis erak

Legend
On the ethical side: everyone whose name is in the credits reflects on both the author and the pub
The linked video in the OP is well over two hours long; way longer than I'm going to slog through just to answer my one simple question:

What is it about NFTs that trashes the environment?

So, is there a short-form answer? :)

NFT's security validation uses significant electricity... on the order of 1/2 to 2 Watt seconds. Remember, 3600 Watt seconds is 1 Watt Hour
Most electricity is still from non-renewable sources... mostly coal or fuel oils.

Mining for new primes measures in kiloWatt hours. Most miners dedicate a few cores to working the blockchain, and most to mining. And, as the prime sieves get more and more bits, the Watt hours needed to factor also go up.

Art Waring

halozix.com
BTW did you hire a Sensitivity Editor for your game? You might be promoting hurtful things without knowing it. It goes both ways. I could ask that of you as a freelance artist. What's your ePure level? Should he dig into the past of your social accounts and forum post?
I am unsure if this is an argument in bad faith, but in the name of civility, since you asked I will try my best to answer your question directly.

I really didn't want to go over this, because I think a project should be judged by the quality of the work, and not because of the creators personal perspectives or virtue signalling. But you asked so here we go.

The project we are working on was thoroughly tested for years by the Nomadz Crew UK, which consists of...

• Defective Alien: A talented visual artist and playtester (check them out on instagram), and a member of the Transgender community. Defective Alien, together with me, co-created one of the three main characters that will feature on the cover of the book, a character who is a transgender female mage. We went through extensive consulting with Defective Alien to ensure that her character is portrayed as the player intended and with respect to the transgender community.

---> To the best of my knowledge, this will be the first transgender female character featured on the cover of a ttrpg. It's important to me because our friends are facing increasing discrimination and difficulty and they deserve representation in the hobby. Hopefully the cover will be finished by next month so I can give a sneak preview.

• Hammerhead J: A nonbinary member if the LGBTQ community in the UK, with extensive experience playing D&D & 5e. Hammerhead playtested several new core classes to be featured in the core book.

Krissy Gore: A female artist known worldwide for creating Gore Couture, and has been designing professional custom corsets, latex and corsetry, and custom clothing for more than two decades for the alt/ goth/ industrial scenes. Krissy co-created one of the three main characters which will feature on the cover.

Me: I grew up in the midwest US, coming from extreme poverty, and faced a lifetime of racism due to my not being considered "white", then moving to UK/ EU, where I am now the sole member of my extended family in Europe, due to the fact that every member of my family that was in Europe died during the holocaust. It's not anything that I like to talk about, but I think this gives me a unique perspective on issues of racism and sensitivity.

I hope that answers your question.

Please let me just make it clear that our crew respects individuals of any gender or ethnicity. We are simply trying our best to make the hobby a little bit more welcoming, because we are all human, and we all deserve to feel welcomed.

Edit: The game itself is a serious attempt at bridging transhuman/ posthuman story elements combined with a unique new etherpunk magic system to create an entirely new take on 5e.

Last edited:

Art Waring

halozix.com
If i may ask, could you pls point me out why NTF are to be handled with care? I miss it and i will possibily be in need of freelance artists in the next future... If there is a pit to avoid, i would really love to know about it so not to find myself in the pit!
Hi! I understand you speak Italian first so I will do my best to clarify this for you.

Most artists ARE NOT using NFT's, but some do, I raised this as a question for creators who are hiring freelancers. It seems that this is not as big of an issue as I first thought, but in order to avoid future problems I though I would bring it up.

NFT's are a very controversial subject, which often elicits charged commentary, often because of the fact that they are complex and not easily understood by the public at large. I think it's important that we educate ourselves on the subject as technology advances and that we keep asking questions.

Artists deserve to earn a living, but we also have a choice as to who we hire for our projects.

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
On the ethical side: everyone whose name is in the credits reflects on both the author and the pub

NFT's security validation uses significant electricity... on the order of 1/2 to 2 Watt seconds. Remember, 3600 Watt seconds is 1 Watt Hour
Most electricity is still from non-renewable sources... mostly coal or fuel oils.

Mining for new primes measures in kiloWatt hours. Most miners dedicate a few cores to working the blockchain, and most to mining. And, as the prime sieves get more and more bits, the Watt hours needed to factor also go up.
This is a general issue with all blockchain activity cryptocurrency and NFTs but NFTs have their own additional issues. The biggest ones stem from the fact that anything in an electronic format is infinitely copyable (constrained only by storage).
NFTs typically only confer rights to something at a specific address, you do not get rights to the underlying thing and the creator of the NFT can create more NFTs conferring the same rights to the same referenced thing.
So if the people paying for the storage of the referenced things stop doing so the referenced thing disappears and you are left with a dead reference. You can also create an NFT to a thing that you have no rights to, no one will stop you. The creator of the original might never know, though if the creator of the original thing ever finds out then they can claim copyright and seek to claim any profit you have made as damages.

It gets very murky, your rights are not clear but probably not as much as you might be lead to believe and the NFT only has value if someone will buy it from you at greater than what you paid for it.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Ah, that explains it - where I live, almost all the electricity comes from run-of-river dams with the (miniscule) rest being from solar or wind farms, meaning it's essentially endless as long as it keeps raining now and then; therefore the only concern is whether total usage becomes higher than what the dams can produce. As BC is (I think) a net exporter I think we're a way from that yet.

Never mind the immense potential for tide-based generation we have on the coast here, which has yet to be touched.
What's a "prime"?

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
Ah, that explains it - where I live, almost all the electricity comes from run-of-river dams with the (miniscule) rest being from solar or wind farms, meaning it's essentially endless as long as it keeps raining now and then; therefore the only concern is whether total usage becomes higher than what the dams can produce. As BC is (I think) a net exporter I think we're a way from that yet.

Never mind the immense potential for tide-based generation we have on the coast here, which has yet to be touched.
Even if the electricity is free it is still a colossal waste of power and computing resources.
What's a "prime"?
A prime number.

Remove ads