Level Up (A5E) A Druid Build (Just For The Heck Of It)

Faolyn

(she/her)
With the last two classes, I pseudo-converted existing characters of mine. I don't have a druid now, though, so I'll make one--including an LU ancestry, but a 5e archetype. Let's see how she goes: Amanita, 10th-level Gnomish Druid, Circle of Spores. Since if I'm going to make a brand new character, I may as well go whole-hog. And I've been wanting to make a Spores druid for quite some time. (Edit because I misspelled her name!)

I'll also do something I never normally do: use standard array for stats (my table prefers to roll). After her ASIs at 4th and 8th level, her stats are: Str 8 (-1), Dex 14 (+2), Con 14 (+2), Int 12 (+1), Wis 18 (+4), Cha 10 (+0). She's pretty fast, pretty healthy, physically frail, and quite brusque.

As a gnome, I'm Small, have a speed of 25 feet, have darkvision to 60 feet, and have Gnome Cunning (advantage on Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma saving throws against magic).

For my Gnome Gift, I chose Into Mist: As a bonus action or reaction after taking damage, I can magically turn invisible and teleport into 30 feet; I stay invisible until the end of my next turn, or I attack, deal damage, cast a spell, or force a creature to make a save. 1/rest. I like to imagine I bamf away in a puff of spores.

Since I decided to make Amanita 10th level, I'm also a Gnome Paragon and I get to choose my paragon gift! Except there's only one: I get to choose Strength, Dexterity, or Con, and I have advantage on saving throws using that attribute that are made against magic. I'll pick Strength, to try to even up my weakness.

Now for my Gnome Culture. I'm going to go for deep gnome, for no other reason that all the best mushrooms are underground. As a deep gnome, I have advantage on Dexterity (Stealth) checks made to hide in rocky terrain, my darkvision is actually to 120 feet, and I can cast some spells: disguise self, blindness/deafness (blindness only), and nondetection, each 1/day (I realized this is a change from the 5e deep gnome race, but somewhat similar to the monster. I kind of wish I got enlarge/reduce, like I was a spriggan or something, but oh well. That's a problem with the way the species is depicted in general, not with LU. I speak Common, Gnomish, and Uncommon.

Now for my Background. I'll say Hermit. Maybe I was raised by myconids or something. That might explain my low Strength and Charisma. I spent my time with communin' with the shrooms, not working out and talking to people who actually talk. This gives me +1 to Wisdom and +1 to one other attribute. That doesn't really help me a huge amount, since my attributes are all even, so I'll raise my Con along with my Wis. My stats now look like this: Str 8 (-1), Dex 14 (+2), Con 15 (+2), Int 12 (+1), Wis 19 (+4), Cha 10 (+0).

I'm proficient with Religion, Medicine, and the Healer's kit. I also get one additional language... but Myconids don't get a language! Wah! Y'know what, I'll say that I have the ability to communicate with myconids anyway. I have very short-range Rapport Spores. So there. I'm sure my DM will agree. My Feature is Inner Voice: I hear a voice that I trust, that leads me to my destiny. Clearly this is my myconid circle, "speaking" with me from afar. I bet they sound like stoned borg. Amusingly, I decided that my hermit memento is my "ridiculous-looking sun hat" which looks like a mushroom cap.

I'm starting to really like Amanita.

Now, the class: I'm 10th level, so I get all the features.

As a druid, I know how to use the Herbalism kit and I get two skills: Nature and Survival.

At first level, I learn Druidic and get spellcasting. I also get two Knacks. Two immediately come to mind: Cavern Skulker and Herbal Apothecary. The Underdark has it's own forests and jungles, and I know them well. I get a third Knack at 5th level, and a fourth at 9th level. Presumably I've traveled a bit since then, so I'll assume my travels underground have brought me to weird places, so I'll take Eldritch Survivor and Mountain Climber.

At 10th level, my spell save DC is 16 and my spell attack modifier is +6.

At second level, I get my circle--the Circle of Spores--and with it, two Circle Powers. My first power are my Halo of Spores, which allow me use my reaction to inflict damaging spores to a creature that moves into or starts its turn within 10 feet of me, unless they make a Con save. At 10th level, this inflicts 1d8 necrotic damage. My second ability, is Symbiotic Entity. I can spend a use of my Wild Shape to awaken my spores and gain gain 4 temp hit points for each druid level (40 temp hp); and for 10 minutes, I inflict another die of damage with my Halo of Spores (2d8), and melee attacks inflict an additional 1d6 poison damage.

I also get Wild Shape just as a druid. I can change 3/long rest which... kind of puts a crimp into my Symbiotic Entity feature. At 10th level, I know seven forms, which can have a max of CR 2, and I can pick creatures with swimming or flying speeds. Since I get to pick both beasts and plants, I immediately pick Myconid Sovereign as one of them (I'm sure the sovereign of my own myconid circle won't mind). I get to make my own spore servants! For my other forms, I'll go with bat, giant bat, a giant wolf spider, cave bear, a thorny, and a plesiosaurus. Those guys live in underground bodies of water, right? Well, they do now.

At third level, I get my Untamed Demeanor, and I choose First Hand Naturalist. Huzzah for an expertise die with Nature!

At sixth Level, I get another Circle Feature: Fungal Infestation. I can make a 1 hp zombie that lasts for an hour. At 10th level, I can do this four times between long rests. Between that and the spore servants, I get to make a lot of pets! Too bad they never stay for long.

At seventh level, I get another druid feature: Druidic Lore. At this point, Toxin Intuition is pretty much a given.

At ninth level, I have to choose between Ferocity and Serenity. Dude, myconids are always about the serenity. On the other hand, I already have a class feature that eats up my wildshapes. And so, with a heavy heart, I must turn away from the peaceful stonerhood of the myconids and choose Ferocity.

And at tenth level, I get another Circle Feature. I can use my Symbiotic Entity to hurl spores up to 30 feet away, where they hover in a 10-foot cube for a minute, and creatures that are in the cube take Halo of Spores damage.

And there you have it: Amanita, a gnome I doubt I'll get to actually play, but I really like. She's probably very weird.

Last edited:

Remove ads