A Eulogy for NYPD Blue [Spoilers for Final Episode]

cybertalus

First Post
Dunno if anyone else watched tonight's final episode, but I did and enjoyed it. It was kind of sad. Even though I know the show is past its prime and needs to retire, I'm still gonna miss it.

Somehow it was both disappointing and relieving that the final episode was just a normal episode devoid of any explosions, shootings, retirements, marriages, divorces, or deaths of regular characters. It was amusing to see Sipowicz as a boss be not all that different from how Sipowicz as a detective has been the last few years: excellent at solving cases, a natural leader among colleagues, and not doing so well with the higher-ups. We only got 20 episodes this season, and while I liked the note the show ended on, a big part of me wishes we'd gotten two more hours, or maybe two more years, to see Seargeant Sipowicz in charge of the squad. What can I say, just because I know it's time for an old friend to retire, doesn't mean I don't want him to stick around a while longer.

Twelve years is an eternity in television, especially these days when an increasing number of shows don't last twelve episodes. In those twelve years NYPD Blue went from ground-breaking and edgy to sometimes being the dinosaur that Sipowicz was often described as. But dinosaur or no, it still entertained me more often than not, and I still cared about the characters, even the new ones. That's more than most shows on television can manage these days, as witnessed by the fact that NYPD Blue was one of only two shows I watched on network television this year.

Here's to twelve enjoyable years of NYPD Blue, may Sipowicz and the gang live forever in reruns.

Dracomeander

First Post
I've enjoyed NYPD Blue through its full run and thought the one hour lead in tribute was very well done. The final episode was perfectly handled. The show began its twelve years as a typical day in the squad and ended its run the same way. We can allow the squad to continue on in our imaginations.

The only thing I missed this season was Sipowicz' family. They were talked about, but the show never followed him home the way they did in previous seasons so the audience could say farewell to them as well.

Lord Pendragon

First Post
Dracomeander said:
I've enjoyed NYPD Blue through its full run and thought the one hour lead in tribute was very well done. The final episode was perfectly handled. The show began its twelve years as a typical day in the squad and ended its run the same way. We can allow the squad to continue on in our imaginations.

The only thing I missed this season was Sipowicz' family. They were talked about, but the show never followed him home the way they did in previous seasons so the audience could say farewell to them as well.
These are my thoughts exactly, right down to the comment about Sipowitz' family.

I loved this show. I can't think of a lot of television with the same consistant quality in writing and acting as NYPD Blue. I thought they went out with a lot of class. Jimmy Smits hosting the special beforehand was also perfect, allowing Simone to be a natural, organic part of the series' ending.

Farewell, NYPD Blue. You did well.

Mystery Man

First Post
I think I've seen 3 episodes out of 12 years. One of those shows was the viewing sipowitz's bare ass. I swear to everything I hold dear that I did not know this was going to happen either. That was the last episode I watched. They guy is repulsive enough with clothes on. :]

Enforcer

Explorer
Dracomeander said:

I believe this is because the actress who played Connie (Charlotte Ross) didn't renew her contract because she wanted to stay at home with her new baby.

I loved the show, though I've only caught what episodes I could on TNT so I haven't seen the last season or two. The episode where Bobby Simone dies was one of the saddest things I've ever seen on tv. And Dennis Franz did one hell of a job with Sipowicz...I can't believe that character could function after all the crap they put him through.

Lord Pendragon

First Post
Enforcer said:
I believe this is because the actress who played Connie (Charlotte Ross) didn't renew her contract because she wanted to stay at home with her new baby.
I've heard something along these lines. I was kind of hoping that she'd have a brief scene in the finale, just to touch upon Sipowicz' family, but alas.

KnowTheToe

First Post
I also thought the final episode was very good. I started watching a few years ago when they ran a no repeat season. The show started several weeks after everything else, but then it ran straight. I knew I could put that time slot aside and get a new show every week. I saw almost every episode that year. They did not do that for the next few years and I only caught a few episodes. This season had a long stretch of no reruns and I saw all of them. I jate not knowing when a show will be new, or taking 3 weeks off to see 2 new shows to show 2 more repeats. For me, it breaks the mood of the shows and I lose interest. I find other things to do. Repeats have almost completely cleansed TV from my life.

Remove ads