D&D 5E A few questions for you more learned players

ElterAgo

Explorer
I have a few questions that have or will soon come up in our campaign.

1) PC wants to find/purchase/steal a magic item to let him see in magical darkness. Does this already exist as a standard item in 5E? If not, how powerful would you consider this to be so I have an idea how hard to make getting it.

2) Does 5E have any rules for clockwork creatures or maybe animated objects behaving as creatures?

3) Other than oozes and black dragons, what do you think are the 'best' monsters that use acid.

4) A plasmoid PC will be taking only 5 levels of monk. The other 10-15 levels will be druid (circle of spores). He would like suggestions on which monastic tradition to take since he will only get the 3rd level powers.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Oofta

Legend
Links are in DndBeyond, basic rules. You can sign up for free.
I have a few questions that have or will soon come up in our campaign.

1) PC wants to find/purchase/steal a magic item to let him see in magical darkness. Does this already exist as a standard item in 5E? If not, how powerful would you consider this to be so I have an idea how hard to make getting it.

Goggles of the Night

2) Does 5E have any rules for clockwork creatures or maybe animated objects behaving as creatures?

They're called constructs. Everything from Animated Armor to Iron Golem. I frequently change the fluff a bit if I want more clockwork or steampunk like.

3) Other than oozes and black dragons, what do you think are the 'best' monsters that use acid.

How tough do you want it to be? What CR range? This is another one where sometimes I'll just tweak monsters to make their breath weapon or other damage acid. But Ankheg at a lower level is pretty iconic. An example where I might take an existing monster and just change a damage type is a Behir, just replace his lightning damage with acid.

4) A plasmoid PC will be taking only 5 levels of monk. The other 10-15 levels will be druid (circle of spores). He would like suggestions on which monastic tradition to take since he will only get the 3rd level powers.

I had a lot of fun with my Way of Mercy monk because I could help a little with healing. Way of Shadow is a lot of fun. Honestly I think they're all pretty good and since they're only getting 1 level of anything special for the subclass I'm not sure what to recommend.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Goggles of night grant darkvision, they won't help in magical darkness.

I don't think an item exists in base D&D that lets you see through magical darkness. Something like a driftglobe that can generate Daylight, which dispels magical darkness in a very wide area, might be a decent substitute. Although not if you're an unfortunate PC who's got a warlock in the party abusing the annoying 'darkness + devil's sight' combo....

Oofta

Legend
Goggles of night grant darkvision, they won't help in magical darkness.

I don't think an item exists in base D&D that lets you see through magical darkness. Something like a driftglobe that can generate Daylight, which dispels magical darkness in a very wide area, might be a decent substitute. Although not if you're an unfortunate PC who's got a warlock in the party abusing the annoying 'darkness + devil's sight' combo....
Ahh, right. I misread. Like you said, something like a warlock's devil sight or you'd need to counter.

ElterAgo

Explorer
How tough do you want it to be? What CR range? This is another one where sometimes I'll just tweak monsters to make their breath weapon or other damage acid. But Ankheg at a lower level is pretty iconic. An example where I might take an existing monster and just change a damage type is a Behir, just replace his lightning damage with acid.
Aha! Yes forgot to put that. The party is level 10 now and I'm building an encounter for a major goal in the next couple of levels. It should be challenging for 11th level PC's.

pukunui

Legend
There are no official magic items that grant Devil's Sight or the equivalent. Perhaps an upgraded, rare version of goggles of night?

Yes, quite a few. In addition to the various constructs like golems and such, Monsters of the Multiverse has a whole section on clockwork creatures, including the bronze scout, the iron cobra, the oaken bolter, and the stone defender.

Ankhegs can be fun with their burrowing ability.

Copper dragons have acid breath as well. They can be pretty fun.

Black abishai make for good assassins, and they have an acidic bite.

The spitting mimic from Icewind Dale: Rime of the Frostmaiden is a bigger, badder mimic that spits acid.

Spelljammer's braxat is a big, psionic monster with acid breath.

Way of the Long Death would be thematically appropriate, but the temp hit points wouldn't stack with the temp hit points from the druid's spores. Otherwise, maybe Way of the Shadow if he wants to add in some sneaky ninja vibes or just Way of the Open Hand for the extra options.

Remove ads