a few questions

Lwaxy

Cute but dangerous
Also, has WOIN be tested with a modern age setting? I only see future and fantasy.

I have use for it in case it is usable with modern, we rarely play SciFi outside of Star Trek/Star Wars, and anything Fantasy will likely stick with PF. But no one I play with likes the d20 variants for modern games.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
If you don't mind me hopping on here, I have a question.

I see two adventure modules for NEW in the playtest documents I downloaded, but nothing for OLD. Is there a reason for this? It just seems to me overall that NEW is a lot more fleshed out than OLD.

Two for N.E.W.? There's only one. The reason is that I had it (the SANTIAGO storyline) already licensed from Mike Resnick because we were producing the AP for Pathfinder and 4E, and the adventure was simple enough that it was easy to provide for N.E.W. playtesting. I had intended to also convert the first ZEITGEIST adventure for use with O.L.D., but that proved to be a monster of a task - it ain't nearly as simple or short as A Visit to Keepsake.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Also, has WOIN be tested with a modern age setting? I only see future and fantasy.

No. It is not designed for contemporary settings. That would be a different game, which may be produced in the future if these are successful. I'd call it N.O.W.

LucasC

First Post
Sorry to hijack a thread, but I haven't playtested or anything yet, but how difficult would it be to play without a battle map and minis? We play very casually in the living room with no table. We each have a lap desk.. I'm concerned about the tactical part of the game. 4E was very difficult and we ended up switching to Pathfinder... Just curious.

I'm going to disagree w/Morrus a bit here. We play w/a miniature board and grid but really the only thing that you need to be comfortable doing is ascertaining a few key elements such as:

* Does a character have cover
* Does a character have crossfire

There are no 5-foot steps, opportunity attacks and only a handful of area effects (in N.E.W. at least). IMO this game would be easier than Pathfinder to play w/out a grid. I used to play DND 1e/2e w/out a grid so I have an idea of what it was (is) like.

Sniperfox47

First Post
IMO this game would be easier than Pathfinder to play w/out a grid. I used to play DND 1e/2e w/out a grid so I have an idea of what it was (is) like.

I have to agree. I've tried both of the rpgs our group has played that usually have a board without one (3.5e / pathfinder) and the game that doesn't have rules for a board with one (shadowrun) and this seems like a good middle ground. It's a lot easier to conceptualize your character, even without a board, than D&D and pathfinder, but it's nice to have the rules there for when they're needed.

Remove ads