D&D General A gaming tour through the editions of D&D

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
Just a random idea that came into my mind on a Saturday night...

Next year, as we all know, will be D&D 50th anniversary. If I find the time and if I can get some players onboard (two big ifs), it might be nice to run a series of short adventures, one for each edition(*) of D&D. Just wanted to share, maybe it's just a crazy idea.

* Yes, I know, we could argue for years about what constitutes a distinct edition. Not the point of this thread. If this should ever come to fruition, I would decice in a somewhat arbitrary way after consulting with the players involved.

Zardnaar

Legend
I would probably do a starting adventure with each edition or one set in the sweet spot. Or use a Dungeon adventure which is usually shorter. 7 main editions maybe add 3.5 as well. TSR era one can mix and match

OD&D and B/X KotB or Lost city
1E T1
2E any TSR adventure that appeals.
3E One with Meepo
3.5 Savage Tide pt1
4E??
5E one of the starter sets.

Reynard

Legend
I want to do this as a limited run campaign or a convention mini-campaign. The story would be very meta, but the point would be that the players inhabit characters across editions in worlds that best represent that edition.

Stormonu

Legend
Hmm.... a B/X (OSE), 1E, 2E, 3E & 5E run-through of S2 - White Plume Mountain might be fun my group. Might combine the 1E & 2E into just a single run, as I don't expect a real noticeable difference between the two versions.

Zardnaar

Legend
Hmm.... a B/X (OSE), 1E, 2E, 3E & 5E run-through of S2 - White Plume Mountain might be fun my group. Might combine the 1E & 2E into just a single run, as I don't expect a real noticeable difference between the two versions.

2E tougher monsters here and there tweaked classes and funky xp tables.

Maybe a campaign setting as basic 2E can emulate 1E except RAW no xp for gold. Barely noticeable in a one shot.

jasper

Rotten DM
Coming up on our left you will see the replicas of the original rust monster. Theses were presses play on the info dump.
We are now entering the 2nd edition wing. Leave you THAC0 here.

Remove ads