• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

A German in America

kirinke said:
Drat it. I thought it was a uniquely Austin thing. That phenomena happens here too. The minute traffic even senses a raindrop falling from the sky, there seems to be a mass braking.

I call it the "Oh no! The Sky Is Falling!" syndrome. Drives me bats.
Something I noticed here in Germany (at least in Northern Germany) is that around winter, when it first appears as if it might get cooler in winter, people drive extremely careful (and slow...)

But strangely enough, a few weeks later, when the real snow (rare) or frost (guaranteed) comes, people act all surprised and you hear from various crashes from people "surprised by the sudden winter". ;)

WhatGravitas

Explorer
Mustrum_Ridcully said:
Something I noticed here in Germany (at least in Northern Germany) is that around winter, when it first appears as if it might get cooler in winter, people drive extremely careful (and slow...)
People are usually careful as long as they still have their summer tyres. Once the winter tyres are on, they think they can drive over ice! ;)

Cheers, LT.

Chimera

First Post
Mustrum_Ridcully said:
But strangely enough, a few weeks later, when the real snow (rare) or frost (guaranteed) comes, people act all surprised and you hear from various crashes from people "surprised by the sudden winter". ;)

Every winter when it snows for the first time (or the 2nd, 3rd, 4th time, if it melts off between snowfalls), everyone has to learn how to drive on snow all over again. Irritates the daylights out of me. Slick snow and idiots will STILL try to pull out from an intersection, way to close to you. Of course, their tires spin, they don't get out as fast and you have to take action not to hit them. All too often, that's the cause of a lot of early season accidents.

Well, that and "I can drive 70mph in a blinding snowstorm. See? No problem at all...." (woosh, straight into the ditch)

Oh, and glass slick ice at stop signs and traffic lights. I once went straight through a downhill light at a freeway offramp because it was a sheet of ice. Right between two vehicles turning left. Boy howdy, was I happy that I didn't hit anyone!

Rain? Pishposh. We have REAL weather!

For all those that have corrected me on my metric math - kudos - thinking back it was 3.3km - 5 mi (roughly) so if you use the formula all of you have quoted. . . *blush*
What can I say, I'm not perfect. :D

HeavenShallBurn said:
From what I've been told by a few French who were from the rural parts of the country they didn't like Parisians either. Lots of gripes I didn't really get but from (very) limited experience and their secondhand accounts I figure Paris just has a high %$#@ole population compared to the rest of France. It seems like Paris is the only place you get the "Your French is not Good Enough" routine on a regular basis. Mostly other places seem to be able to deal even if you're not so hot with the language but are trying.
So what you're saying is that NYC is the Paris of the USoA or vice versa ... I can see that. Having been to both, I would rather go to neither, on a slightly related note - Charles DeGaul airport is probably the worst airport I have ever been to, followed closely by JFK...

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Thunderfoot said:
For all those that have corrected me on my metric math - kudos - thinking back it was 3.3km - 5 mi (roughly) so if you use the formula all of you have quoted. . . *blush*
What can I say, I'm not perfect. :D

Still not perfect, too. 3.3km is closer to 2 miles than 5.

-Hyp.

Stormborn

Explorer
City Planning

One of the interesting things that I have found from not only Jurgen's blog but from other people's comments is, when seeing an American Suburb, to question the city planning. City Planning? What city planning?

Yes, it does happen, and the down town areas of many towns and cities are a testament to that, but once you leave that centralized area different rules take place.

Let me illustrate by explaining the history of the area where I grew up and my parents still live.

About a century ago the area was owned by US Steel and served as the farm where the feed was grown that fed the mules that worked in the mines. When automation took over the land was sold off in large lots, primarilly to farmers - my great grandfather among them. Farms it stayed for a long time.

When his children grew up and got married he divided up his land, after having already sold some when times were hard (and he gave some away for a church to be built), and gave it to them to build houses. When I was a child my family own about 6 acres on which were 3 houses all occupied by family members, 2 barns, 2 green houses, and a large garage/shop. It was also home to a small herd of cows, about 2 dozen chickens, 4 pigs, a large vegetable garden and innumerable dogs and cats. Most of the land to the north of us (towards Bessemer) was already divided into smaller suburban lots while most of the land to the south was still farm land.

Now my parents live on the last of that property on a little more than one acre and are the exception in the area. Everything else has been divided up and sold off. The land to the south that was farms was bought in large chunks. It has all been developed into acres of identical houses on streets that didnt exist 10 years ago. People living on land whose last human occupant were migratory Creek.

Then take where I live now as another example. I am in a large suburb of Birmingham, AL known as Hoover. Hoover has no downtown. The land is hilly and cut by numerous small creeks the flow, eventually, down to the Cahaba River. It has a large stretch of a commercial district along US 31 and it has neighboor hoods that grew up off of that. Some of these were planned neighboorhoods, some not. If you know how to look, and where, you can still see evidences of the orignal boundries between large pieces of property that were divided up and sold off. With a little architectural knowledge you can even date these areas. Eventually, disconnected neighboorhoods merged, larger pieces of land with one owner became dozens of smaller lots with many owners, and finally communities that had their own seperate names became one mass municipality known as Hoover. There is no grid, there aren't really even any straight roads. For a long time it was part of unincorporated Jefferson County. As a municiple entitity its not very old at all.

I knowthe story is the same in other places. The communities grew up organically. There were no city planners because there was no city government to do any planning. Large chunks of land were claimed or bought cheap when land was cheap and was sold off in pieces when it got more valuable. Eventually these small pieces organized into something, sometimes in connection with a town that actually had a small grid, and became a city or town of their own. Or several smaller towns grew together and became a city, just as organically.

In a lot of America city planning is not poor, its nonexistant.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads