D&D 5E A Hint of Elegance in the Latest Playtest

Jeff Carlsen

Adventurer
I believe it is a mistake to apply this range to every type of bonus.

By having +0 through +5 represent the range of ability and skill, we have a frame of reference for what numbers mean. We can then use that knowledge to apply modifiers that are appropriate for their context.

For example, a powerful magic sword might have a +3 bonus. Enough to turn a farmer into a skilled warrior, at least as far as accuracy is concerned. If magic can provide a +5 bonus, it means that a magic sword could make an untrained plebeian into a grandmaster swordsman. This strikes me as too much, outside of a sentient artifact containing the soul of a level 20 fighter.

Also, feats should never provide a static bonus. To anything. Ever.

Warbringer

Explorer
I don't know Warbringer. I got a lot of resistance not offering feats. And people grumble if there isn't at least a +3 spread. Ability Modifiers are too large when we pair them up with the other modifiers. It is like we are saying that natural ability is king. Wack those ability modifiers down to +5 max and raise the other modifiers to make them relevant. A +25 to hit and a +25 to damage is enough and the damage bonus speeds up combat when combined with multiple attacks.

So, I think you hit it on the head " natural ability is king " ... Except, the damage scales much faster, hence dpr scales .... So, the skill is resented in the damage .

5e about the damage/ hp arms race, not to hit/ defense arms race

ren1999

First Post
I could live with a large natural ability modifier either way. My idea of having a maximum bonus of +4 was completely rejected. But when raising that number to +5 based on other's suggestions on this forum, suddenly not much resistance.

Remove ads