A Keep on the Borderlands: Consolidation

Dr Simon

Explorer
[MENTION=4936]Shayuri[/MENTION], [MENTION=93196]Axel[/MENTION], [MENTION=1231]Kaodi[/MENTION], [MENTION=2710]jkason[/MENTION]

New thread continuing on from A Keep on the Borderlands: Arrival.

When last we saw Arcata, Bastian, Comoray and Sh'aah they were fleeing Fanjyr Waystation in the company of Cassie of the Punishment Legion, Fyfe of House Arcata and Rexun Edelstimme, captive dwarf and herlad of the dwarf king.

Fanjyr Waystation is in the hands of the so-called Cobalt Dwarf, Haxmar Schattenstein, a suspicious, too-suave character with a mysterious blue pendant, possibly connected to strange blue lights seen in the hills above the Waystation. There was no sign of the missing Warden of the MIdnight Sun that the wandering trader Tzintzan Ryal had mentioned. Whether Haxmar was responsible or not remains to be seen.

The moon is low in the sky and the group travels downhill by starlight, keeping as best they can just off the road, on the uphill side amongst pine trees.

Suddenly Rexun calls a halt and points to some seemingly innocuous stones.

"Marks of my people," he says. "If this way we are going, perhap help we will be getting." He points up the steep, tree-covered slope to the left of the path. At that moment there is a flare of blue light from up the pass, and the distant sound of horns. It would seem that Haxmar has discovered your disappearance.

jkason

First Post
Bastian looks back in the direction of the light and horns, then nods grimly to where Hexmar believes his people might be.

" Leaving effectively made our choice of sides for us. If they catch us, I expect our stay will be far less comfortable than last time. If we're looking for help, we'd better look fast." He looks to the dwarf to lead despite the nervous taste in his mouth. Gods preserve them if they chose wrong...

Axel

First Post
Sh'aah stopped, then stooped to examine the stone. Never seen Dwarfses marks before...

He reached out a hand to touch one, enjoying the texture of the partially worked roughness. Glancing around as the humans stood in indecision he made a quick study of the ground and what had recently passed this way.

Dr Simon

Explorer
Sh'aah can find no tracks, but once he knows where to look there is a cunningly hidden trail, a natural set of steps leading upwards from the main path.

Shayuri

First Post
Arcata looked for a moment at where Sh'aah was poking around, then back towards the dwarf citadel.

"Can we make it back to the keep?" she asked, looking at both Bastion and Sh'aah. "I didn't see any horses in there. We can stay ahead of them, don't you think?"

With an apologetic look at Rexun she added, "It's no offense to you or your people, Rexun...but if I have a choice between maybe help, and definitely be safe...then right now I'd as soon go with the definite."

jkason

First Post
"Now might not be the best time to remind milady that we left our horses there, so they have at least half a dozen trained horses. I don't expect Bulwark is likely to cooperate, but the others are merely normal domestics; they'll ride as well for dwarves as they did for us."

The Last Lion's embarrassment at possibly having handed their pursuers the means to catch and delay them is clear, but he looks to Sha'ah for a better assessment of their chances to make it back.

[sblock=ooc]I'm not 100% on how far we are from the keep, I'm afraid, so I'll leave that one unanswered for now.[/sblock]

Dr Simon

Explorer
"Dwarves are not good riders being," says Rexun. "It is more likely your horses the Cobalt Dwarf will be selling than riding. Probably," he adds with a note of uncertainty.

OOC: It took six days through plains and foothills to get here. It could be done, and Sh'aah reckons he could probably find enough forage to supplement the meagre rations you have with you. A lot would depend on how far the dwarves are willing to pursue.

Axel

First Post
Sh'aah shrugged non-comitally. "Is far. Easy way is hide, then walk. Take many weeks. Hills is good for food. No bow, no meat."

Kaodi

Hero
Brother Comoray chimes in, "I can keep us supplied well supplied with water, and Velshionne may see to impart others prayers upon me that may be more useful to survival in the wilds. This has been a setback, but I have faith that the Lady Magnificent has not smiled upon our quest to take back the fort only to see us dashed upon the rocks by rebellious dwarves."

Remove ads