D&D General A LA CARTE Errata

pogre

Legend
The main reason I do pay attention to rules errata and the like is because I run some Adventure League. Incorporating new interpretations and errata into my game is largely easier. I like running with one set of rules because it is easier.

I do have some houserules, but I apply those to my A.L. games as well. The main ones are:
  • drinking a potion is a bonus action; and
  • the players give each other inspiration, not me.
Oddly, I have never had a player complain about these houserules at an A.L. table. ;)

And note that the even cooler thing is that the proper reading still allows this, but you have to take damage yourself, so at least you have a choice, which I think is even better.

I’m no math wizard, but aren’t the faces of a cube technically only on the outside?

Lyxen

Great Old One
I’m no math wizard, but aren’t the faces of a cube technically only on the outside?
The problem only occurs with people playing on grids, because these optional rules are undercooked and allow one to choose whether to allow one's square in the area. We never had the slightest problem as we mostly do TotM and don't use grids even when we have a map, in which case I completely agree with you, the caster is outside of the cube.

So I shouldn't quote the intro to the DMG that says "You’re the DM, and you are in charge of the game."? Good to know. ;)
Haha. I know what it says. I was just trying to preemptively avoid the argument. I know at some tables the DM has authority. Others they have little authority. And at most tables, the DM has authority, but acquiesces to the wills of players - especially during things like character creation. And for good reason, they want their players to be invested.

I said that placing the origin at your feet and excluding yourself from the effect, thereby using the cube to surround yourself, is a valid placement of the spell (I use here "surround" in the common English sense, not to say "geometrical center in three dimensions").
That is actually a fine idea.
You could also place it at your fingertips from your raised hand and place the cube below that point.

Or as a storm sorceree fly up 10ft and thunderwave the ground below you.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases