Level Up (A5E) A Level Up Cosmology

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
F9EB389A-36FE-4DA8-BB6D-AB123A72826C.jpeg

Zaukrie

New Publisher
Interesting. How much detail do we get on this in the books? Is there an implied world in the monster book (I'd have to re-look at the previews, and I'm just too lazy right now)?

The Gyre and The Far Realm​

In some distant reach of the multiverse floats The Gyre, a graveyard of planes where the last vestiges of dead worlds are drawn into a churning cloud and ultimately obliterated. Perhaps their energies are then used for the creation of new worlds, or perhaps the whole of the multiverse will be consumed one day. But those pieces of worlds that survive long enough to reach the Gyre are homes of the most dreadful and powerful beings - often those who brought about their own apocalypses.

How many of those worlds have been destroyed by corruption from the Far Realm? Few even begin to understand the alien concepts of that place, and those with the insight can become threats themselves. To most, the aberrations birthed by contact with the Far Realm are terrifying, but some begin to see that very unnaturality as something be desired, to be shared with others. Adventurers should be careful to stare into that maddening abyss - lest they become like the monsters they fight.

Faolyn

(she/her)
Well, if you're looking for new things to publish after you finish with the main books here, your own Leveled Up Manual of the Planes would be great because the Gyre sounds amazing. And I'm guessing that since the full names of the standard outer planes aren't SRD-compatible, you either had to rename the outer planes or invent your own, and in either case you have a whole new cosmology to play with.

@SirApetus, I wonder if "Space" and "Time" are going to take over for the Astral and Ethereal.

The astral and ethereal still exist, but including them on the map wouldn't make sense. The ethereal plane is like the space between your eyes and the page, and the astral plane is the version of the map that exists in your mind.

There is one iteration of the gyre in the 12th ZEITGEIST adventure, but it's geared towards 20th level characters.

Remove ads