• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

A Maximum on Stat-Increasing Magical Items?

SG1Laura

First Post
The_Universe said:
It was not uncommon for the adventurers to have modified stats above 30, and one character (by the end) had a dexterity that neared 40.

:confused: wow...

As a side note: did everyone but the DM miss the rule? Cuz QD says she didn't know but it sounds like all the characters had jacked up stats.

SG1Laura said:

As a side note: did everyone but the DM miss the rule? Cuz QD says she didn't know but it sounds like all the characters had jacked up stats.
I didn't not have multiple cha-increasing equipment until after the "okay, bonuses can stack" ruling.

All I had was my cloak of cha and Eagle's Splendor, however; after it became apparent that we could have all the bonuses we wanted, I started to take advantage of it (but, in the end had my circlet to increase Wisdom and a maxed out cloak of cha).

Apparently, I managed to miss this particular GM/player conflict until after the GM had ruled. (or maybe I just don't remember it... *shrug* Either is possible).

The_Universe

First Post
SG1Laura said:

Well, I think some people missed the rule, and some people just ignored it because I hadn't made mention of it specifically. I knew the rule was there, but I wasn't poring over character sheets - there's got to be some player/DM trust, after all.

I didn't make a point of it until I realized that some of the rolls I was hearing were...out of whack...with what they were supposed to be, and by then it was really too late to make changes without major retconning for some of the characters. It's a regrettable power creep that I should have kept a better handle on.

Turanil

First Post
I suggest you read the Ptolus campaign by Monte Cook. At one point there is a disaster that nullifies all magic. Do that, let the PCs fix the disaster, but the laws of magic are not back quite the same, and now the total stacking don't work anymore.

Orius

Legend
BiggusGeekus said:
This game has a million rules. I feel your pain.

Yeah, but the stacking rule is a pretty important rule in terms of maintaining game balance. So when I DM I pay pretty close attention to it. It's also better then what we had prior to 3e when it was generally unclear at best if bonuses were cumulative or not.

The_Universe

First Post
Turanil said:
I suggest you read the Ptolus campaign by Monte Cook. At one point there is a disaster that nullifies all magic. Do that, let the PCs fix the disaster, but the laws of magic are not back quite the same, and now the total stacking don't work anymore.
Well, the campaign has ended so it's a little late for all of that, now. They had fun for the most part, and though it was a pain in the ass for me, I dealt with it.

And there's always next time, which I am currently in the midst of with a group of (mostly) the same people. :)

I think maybe my favorite and yet most disappointing addition in 3.x was the concept of 'named' bonuses. So elegant in concept, and yet so undermined by the execution.

Remove ads