• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

A Moreau by any other name

DnDChick

Demon Queen of Templates
HeapThaumaturgist said:
Wow. That is sort of creepy, but more than highly unlikely to occur.

Still ... gives me a great idea for a Pre-Chimera NPC ... Le Petit Fromage! The mouse with a human brain.

--fje

So ... whot we gonna do t'noit, Brain?

LeapingShark

First Post
In January, an informal ethics committee at Stanford University endorsed a proposal to create mice with brains nearly completely made of human brain cells.

Stanford law professor Hank Greely, who chaired the ethics committee, said the board was satisfied that the size and shape of the mouse brain would prevent the human cells from creating any traits of humanity.

Just in case, Greely said, the committee recommended closely monitoring the mice's behavior and immediately killing any that display human-like behavior.
This sounds like the setup for some wierd sci-fi movie. Something goes horribly wrong in the lab, and a highly-intelligent "humouse" escapes, then begins breeding with the local mouse population... Years later, the "humice" have grown into an army. Using mouse-traps re-engineered into deadly weapons, the angry "humice" plot to enslave humanity!

malladin

Explorer
Kesh said:
I do like the term "Chimeras." I've heard it before, but never associated with moreaus. I think it would work, as there are plenty of ways to use it (as well as come up with derogatory names for anti-moreau groups to refer to them).

From what I remember from studying the history of genetics, Chimaera was actually used at some point earlier in the field, before transgenic became a more commonly used phrase.

Ben

Prest0

First Post
So far there seems to be a lot of votes for Chimeara. Personally, when I hear "chimaera" I think of three-headed monsters. But there's certainly room to use more than one term. During my morning commute the term "Semi-Human" popped into my head. For slang they might then be called "Semis" (or would it be spelled "Semies"?). What do you think? Like it? Hate it?

glenmac

First Post
Prest0 said:
So far there seems to be a lot of votes for Chimeara. Personally, when I hear "chimaera" I think of three-headed monsters. But there's certainly room to use more than one term. During my morning commute the term "Semi-Human" popped into my head. For slang they might then be called "Semis" (or would it be spelled "Semies"?). What do you think? Like it? Hate it?

I kind of like Sems as slang myself. Look at the initials. Don't want to give any spoilers. But this might be the one.

Prest0

First Post
For anyone who is interested, "chimera" and "semi-human" have become OGC as of Modern Dispatch #41.

Last edited:

Masada

First Post
Incidentially... how does one pronounce "chimera." For years I've been saying SHIM-era, but recently I watched a show on genetic disorders on Discovery where they kept saying KI-mera...

Merriam-webster confirms KI-mera... but not sure of the slang quality of KI-mera. Could be I'm just a hick that didn't know.

C. Baize

First Post
Any chance we'll see more examples of the Semis? I do like, though, that you immediately opened it up to more than just mammal/human hybridization.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads