A Mythology of Czernobog

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
Full disclosure, I already posted this elsewhere, but then I thought of all the fine gamers here and decided to double dip. I will commence with the double dipping.... now!

So in the course of developing some material for a game, I found that historical myths and legends about Czernobog, The Black God of the Slavs, are actually almost nonexistent. This won't do, so I decided to just write my own. I combed through what few historical sources I could lay my hands on easily, grabbed some nuggets, and then portmanteaued that shizz into the following story. I would very much appreciate suggestions about style and content, and also any ideas people might have about additional sources. I was going for something kind of fairytale sounding. Anyway...

In the old days, there was a dark heart at the center of the great wood. At the center of this darkness was a clearing, and in that clearing was a great barrow, constructed of cyclopean slabs of black basalt, carved on all sides with sinuous runes and scenes of depravity. This was the home of Czernobog. From the top of the barrow grew a gnarled Black Oak, dripping poison and hung with a thousand skulls. Under the black leaves of this fell tree was the Altar of Czernobog, a great slab of black stone, stained with a thousand years of blood and offal.

Czernobog stands at this altar, stirring his great iron cauldron with the long haft of his mighty hammer. The black blood and bile he stirs are the still, dark, waters of the world through which he whispers promises of power and glory to anyone foolish enough to listen. At his feet crawl a thousand insects, borne of the cemetery, and so through sullied earth he whispers as well. Around his shoulders a black cloak of ravens, borne of shadow, and so through dark corners he whispers as well. His whispers promise greatness but bring only madness and despair.

On the longest night of the year, a thousand sacrifices line the Path of Sorrows that lead to Czernobog’s barrow. Each soul promised to his black hunger by their own mouths, betrayed by hunger and avarice. Each sacrifice walks screaming to his altar where he crushes their heads with a swift stroke of his hammer, their blood, brains, and bone scraped from the alter top into the waiting cauldron. So is Czernobog’s power renewed each year.

From here I'm going to move into the fall of Czernobog so that a half-mad German monk can encounter him in a forest in the middle ages and end up writing a Grimoire, which I am tentatively titling Kotel na Ludostta (The Cauldron of Madness). I wanted to muck about with dark magics that aren't specifically satanic (not that I have a problem with Satanic Grimoires, but they're so last year).

Last edited:

darkbard

Legend
At the center of this darkness was a clearing, and in that clearing was a great barrow, constructed of massive black menhirs, carved on all sides with sinuous runes and scenes of depravity.

What defines depravity for this mythos? Seems a rather important detail.

Also, I assume you mean "altar" throughout? 😉

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
Hah, yeah, first draft issues (stupid autocorrect). 'Depravity' there is a tabula rasa upon which your mind can inscribe things more horrible than my pen can limn. Here's part 2, Germany 1293...

In the winter of 1293 a German monk named Gerhardt Kemmler had a dream in which a black raven, bearing a olive branch, came to him and told him that his God demanded he make a pilgrimage to Constantinople. For his many sins Gerhardt would not be permitted to travel by sea, or in any luxury, but must travel barefoot and by land. So, with the blessing of his abbot, Gerhardt set out from his humble monastery in Odenburg. He walked many long miles through the Kingdom of Hungary and through the lands of the Bulgarians. He was turned away from every door and offered no solace or succour. The freezing cold numbed his flesh and even the rocks of the land seemed to turn under his feet.

Finally, starving and half mad, Gerhardt crossed over into the Byzantine Empire and took the road through the Nevyastata Forest. Gerhardt’s mind was clouded with visions of great black stone blocks and flocks of ravens blotting out the sun, and in a daze he wandered from his path into the dark heart of the forest. He stumbled lost and sobbing for many days until he finally found a path paved with smooth white cobbles that lead deeper into the forest. After a while he came to a clearing, and saw before him a great barrow made of black stone, upon which sat a kindly old man with a staff.

The old man spoke to Gerhardt and told him that his God had taken pity on him and that his trials should end if he were to undertake one last task. “If you agree to this task,” the old man said, “here is hot soup from my cauldron, warm furs, and the road to your heart’s desire”.

“What task is this?” Gerhardt asked, hope leaping in his breast.

The old man smiled at him and said “A simple task, good monk, just to write down the words of your God in this fine book,” and he pulled from under his black cloak a wonderful tome, bound in black leather chased with gold and made from the creamiest white vellum. And Gerhardt agreed…

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
Part 3, an excerpt from a text dated 1856

An excerpt from A Complete History of Eastern Europe, Benjamin Burke, 1856, University of Oxford

It came to pass in the years 1294 and 1295 that a great madness was visited on the lands we now call Bulgaria and Hungary. After exhaustive research through local archives in the Balkan States, I have managed to piece together an account of this phenomenon, unbelievable as it might be. One thing that all the accounts agree on is that the madness was always preceded by the appearance of a mad monk clothed in black feathers. He would preach on street corners and in marketplaces, filth and madness falling from his lips like poison. Many accounts from Clerical sources cite a strange inability to deal with this lone madman. Soldiers would go astray, or be savaged by mobs, or suddenly join the mob themselves. The villagers and worthies who listened to this monk almost immediately fell into the most horrendous barbarism, and accounts of murder, sacrifice and all manner of foulness are common across the available sources.

This madness spread like a wildfire through the spring of 1294. Not just localized barbarism, but wholesale warfare and slaughter visited by previously friendly cities and principalities upon unsuspecting neighbours. Essentially the whole region fell into the worst kind of slaughter and bloodshed in the space of perhaps three or four months, if accounts are to be believed. In one account, the Bishop of Wieselburg lead a force of mercenaries against a neighbouring town and had a thousand innocents impaled, still living, on stakes, their heads then smashed with a hammer. Through the winter and into 1295 this plague of madness and bloodshed spread into open warfare between principalities. Amazingly, in the spring of 1295 the whole affair seems to have come to a complete halt, for reasons that are not obvious to this researcher.

There is one account that in the late winter of 1294 the mad monk was slain by a Papal Inquisitor, but as this isn’t confirmed by other accounts I cannot but think it may be apocryphal, as is the whole mad monk story in general. Even more unbelievable are the stories of magic that seem to weave in and out of the whole series of accounts. Reasonable historiography all of a sudden interrupted by accounts of magical madness. Men turning into swarms of insects, or visiting biblical plagues upon whole towns, or even in one case incinerating a whole company of mercenaries with fire conjured from the depths of hell. A colleague has suggested that Bergamot poisoning might be the cause of these hallucinatory fantasies.

Last edited:

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
Pretty cool....it's moody and dark, which fits Czernobog.

What's this intended for? A setting? Something else?
Well, theres a part 4 that leads into a Grimoire that'll be part of my MotW game at some point, but mostly I just wanted to paint some history that doesn't get a lot of attention. I had a writing moment I guess.

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
Hah! I feel like the prose needs some love. I was heading for fairy tale in the first two parts, which is not a register I'm practiced with. The Third part, mid 1800's academic, I feel much more comfortable whipping into shape. All three are almost completely raw first drafts, so critique away. I wrote and posted all of them today so no one is going to hurt my feelings telling me it seems raw or whatever part needs some attention.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases