• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

A new beginning.

Ceadren

First Post
Catching up.

(OOC- Hello all! I have sent an email to everyone asking some questions about what we are doing next. Alex, if you can, write me back with what you want to do. Thanks!)

WraithSpawn

First Post
Dravis glances at Aerlyn for a moment as she closes the door then turns and addresses Caedren.
"Those jugs are filled with the same vile menace that coats the walls and floors of this tower. This putrid slime would willingly eat through you armor and into you. Do either of you have a torch, perhaps we should have it at hand, just in case."
(OOC- Sorry, can't remember if anyone has a torch)
"It appears we don't have much time to formulate a plan. My companion (OOC- Drilk) has already taken flight and the situation looks grim. I say we make our way to the tower containing the ballista as quickly as possible. If all goes well perhaps we can secure it and use it to our advantage. If not then at least we don't have to concern ourselves with it any longer. Making our way across the walls, perhaps we can capture it without too much resistance. However, it does not appear as though fate is on our side."
Dravis' eyes flit back and forth anxiously as another orc cries out in alarm.

Ceadren

First Post
Caedren, eyeing the mass of slime on the floor and the hole in the ceiling, pulls his backpack off his shoulders. Setting it on the ground he rustles through it and takes out a length of silken rope and the grappling hook.

“I think the best idea would be to take the stairs up. We can use the rope to steady ourselves on the stairs. You never know, there may be a trap waiting to throw us into the slime beneath.”

After affixing the rope to the eyelet of the iron hook, Caedren coils the rope in his left hand and lets the hook dangle from a few feet of rope in the right. Swinging it back and forth, he releases it into the hole above. Catching something above on the second try, he wraps the end of the silk rope around his left wrist and grips it tightly in his hand.

“I will go first. When I make it to the top I will toss the rope back to you two.”

Caedren draws his longsword and holds it in his right hand in preparation for any surprises at the top of the stairs. Slowly and cautiously he makes his way up.

GladiusNP

First Post
Upstairs...

Caedren stands at the top of the stairs, and gently tosses the rope back down to Dravis. Dravis picks up the rope, and begins to tie it around himself. Caedren looks around the upper room. A gaping hole in the wooden floor dominates the center of the room. Door on both the southern and western walls appear to lead out onto the ramparts. The southern door is suddenly thrown open. An orc stands silhouetted in the doorway.

Caedren locks eyes with the creature, before it flares its' nostrils and begins to raise its' heavy, rust-stained axe.

(OOC - Initiative A - 10, C - 3, D - 9, Orc - 3. Caedren goes first due to higher Dexterity. Dravis is 30 feet down at the foot stairs and has seen the orc, but it has 1/2 cover due to the angle of the floor at the top of the stairs. Aerlyn does not have line of sight to the orc, but heard the door slam open.)

Ceadren

First Post
Starring into the eyes of the orc, Caedren seizes the opportunity of its’ raised axe. Bringing his sword back with both arms he explodes as a coiled spring, sending the blade into the orcs midsection.

WraithSpawn

First Post
Dravis moves alongside his companion (OOC- or just behind if there's not room for two abreast) and jabs his spear towards the orc's bare and repugnant features.

Aerlyn

First Post
Aerlyn readies her spear and quickly makes her way towards the stairs. She can hear Caerden attack the orc above her and prepares to run at the orc should Caerden miss.

WraithSpawn

First Post
Round 1

Dravis quickly moves up the stairs, moving onto the second floor landing. As Caedren takes a swing at the orc, Dravis moves to the elf's side. Although the floor is wide enough, it creaks alarmingly. Dravis suddenly feels it giving way (OOC-- Reflex Save 15 + 0 = 15). Agilely for a man of his bulk, he jumps backward, scrabbling desparately for purchase on the wall. The rotted wood of the floor gives way, crashing into the green slime, which immediately begins to dissolve the planks. Fortunately, he lands on a section of the floor immediately adjacent to the wall. It holds (00C - Unfortunately you can't attack from here, and even if you were in a position too, I'd rule that the save took too long to also attack as well.) .

Caedren flicks his sword low, but the orc raises his axe to parry the blow (Attack 4 + 4 = 8). The orc roars at you, a wordless howl of derision. It attempts to attack you with its' axe, but its' axe is still caught by your sword. (Attack Roll of 6) It does manage to pull the blades apart.

Aerlyn waits until Dravis begins to move up the stairs. Seeing him nearly fall, and Caedren miss the orc, she decides to remain on the solid stone of the top stair.

(ooc - Orc, then Caedren, then Dravis, then Aerlyn is the order along the tower wall, starting from the southen wall door.)

GladiusNP

First Post
Round 2

The orc moves to raise his axe again. Caedren sees his chance, and knocks his sword hard into the orc's axe, which leaves the orc momentarily undefended. Dravis strikes with his spear, exploiting the opening given to him. (OOC - Attack 20+3 = 23. Threatened crit. Confirm Attack 10 +3 = 15. Not good enough. Nomral Attack. Damage 6+1=7.) The orc takes the blow in his throat, spinning back as his hands move up to his ruined neck. He then falls to his knees. The door is still open, and the orc's prone form slumps against the door itself.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads