• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

A New DM'ing situation, advice wanted *now with excerpt from setting*

jayaint

First Post
I am starting a play-by-email game with ONE and only one PC. I am running the game. I am an okay writer, creative, yadda-da yadd-da, and I don't mind typing alot.

As far as gaming goes though, are there good resources somewhere for a dice roller, that will post the results in an email or a forum-post? I want this game to be very storytelling based, to start... but eventually, combat, skill checks, etc will arise.

Any ideas? On any factor of this style of game? Any 1-on-1 tips for DM's? Things to avoid? etc etc

=jay

Last edited:

Meadred

First Post
I would suggest taking a look at PBeMNexus <http://www.pbemnexus.com/>. I ran a PBeM-campaign with three players about two years ago, and we used PBeMNexus a lot to generate all sorts of dice rolls. It will send you an e-mail with the results. It worked well for our campaign.

Cheers,
Meadred

Re: PBMB

I run four message board games. Is your player on board with the storytelling aspect? If so, why even bother with the die roller? My players only use it for their hit points, and that's only a couple. All of them have voted to not see rolls so it enhances the immersion factor. So instead of taking time clicking through a server to read an email, I carry a d20 and a d6 in my pocket, and do the rolls on my desk. The chances of your needing to revisit prior numbers is also vanishingly slim. I've had a couple of questions come up in the middle of a fight, but the numbers were there on my pocket cheat sheet so I could answer the player.

Good luck with your game!

jayaint

First Post
Its play by email. Though It could be set up on a board similar to this as the player is a computer guru-type. Is one inherently better than the other?

How much rolling do you do, Varianor? Do you roll all the players' skill checks, attack rolls, etc? Then fill them in story-wise with the "result? And does combat really slow the game down? It seems to me that even a simple combat could take several back and forth emails just to get initiative and positioning and first strikes resolved.

What about an online whiteboard application? for sketches of buildings, rooms, PC postioning?

I really want this game to work out, b/c it is for someone who I've gamed with for a long time but has moved far away. I've never attempted this and I just want to make sure I have every advantage possible at the start :)

jayaint

First Post
Here is my first "Setting Backstory" post for my player. Is this too much info? Good info? Its a homebrew, which will give me an easier time with storytelling and not stepping on any toes. Does this give enough "hooks"? I want my player to be motivated to do things OTHER than exactly what he HAS to do to progress along in the "story arc". Any feedback from EN'ers is always welcome:

The city is a sprawl, but a well defined sprawl, if such a thing exists. Fifty to seventy foot towers surround the borders of the city, with crenelations (sp?) and spikes and towers jutting up from them at random intervals. Within the city, the original planners had good ideasso many eons ago, but now, overcrowding has caused massive upwards growth. Very few have moved outside the walls.

Buildings are built jauntily on top of other buildings, lean-to's erected out of scrap lumber and stonework adorn every ledge. Rope bridges spiderweb between buildings at harrowing heights above the cobblestones. Most streets are in a permanent shadow, except for high noon, when what little bit of sun that can pierce the orange-brown smog draped over the city brightens the dirty sidewalks and roads.

Clouds are rare, and rain, rarer still. The city sits atop a giant underground resivoir that funnels its life giving water to the surface through a complex system of ancient aqueducts and wells. The wind from the wasted plain on which the city sits howls and shakes even the thick stone walls surrounding the city.

Royalty lives at the top of the city, always climbing and reaching to get away from the rabble and filth beneath them. Some have placed their newest additions on stilts, as though a five story flood was approaching. However, as they get closer and closer to the top level of the walls, the wind shear is terrible and has caused some horrific architectural cave-ins.

Luxury is even rarer than rain, they say. Truly clean fabric is almost unheard of, as is water and food without the taste and smell of the city and the smog worked deep into them. Gold can get you a small piece of privacy, but even gold can't buy you a breath of fresh air.

All manner of people and creatures call this city home. Racism doesn't exist, you see, because you cant help but rub elbows with everyone, all the time. There's just no escaping it. You might lose your mind before you were able to hate someone based on the color of their skin or origin of their ancestors. But, in all seriousness, don't get caught staring, either.

The city has a flow. A certain heartbeat that carries it through the dark, dark nights and the brutal, sweltering days. Things move in a subtle kind of order here, and if you disrupt it, it will find you and grip you and crush you ten times over. Seen it happen.

jayaint said:
How much rolling do you do, Varianor? Do you roll all the players' skill checks, attack rolls, etc? Then fill them in story-wise with the "result? And does combat really slow the game down? It seems to me that even a simple combat could take several back and forth emails just to get initiative and positioning and first strikes resolved.

What about an online whiteboard application? for sketches of buildings, rooms, PC postioning?

I roll everything for the players and fill them in. That way you're dealing with the rich roleplaying and story environment and not bogging down on minutia. Keep in mind that with 2-4 players, it can take literally weeks to finish a combat in email or on a message board. If someone gets sick, takes vacation, or just vanishes, it goes even longer.

I've checked out some online whiteboard applications. They seem to work okay for a group running an IRC game, but they weren't helpful for my group, many of whom are checking on a break from work or at lunch and can't launch such things. My solution was twofold. One, a player suggested quick hand-typed maps using the Courier font (so that everything spaces evenly). Second, when I have time, I whip up a map in Fractal Mapper (never bought CC, but am thinking about it) and email that around as an image. One advantage to using the computer is that I can Google search for images, and send a link to an image. "You see this." Or "Imagine this is the Chancery, but just edit out that car in the foreground."

jayaint

First Post
Heck, leave the car... it will blow their minds... lol

I am using good ol' MS Paint to do some rough room and city maps, the plus side being they are small files I can attach to emails. So it *IS* weeks at a time for combat, etc. Wow. I just didn't know. Well, its not scaring me off. Luckily (for now) its just myself and 1 PC. So hopefully the two of us can keep up enough to keep it flowing smoothly.

Thanks for your input Varianor.

Remove ads