• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

A Note on The Survivor's Guide

Ralts Bloodthorne

First Post
Recently, Issue 5 of the Survivor's Guide to Risen America was released. Technically, it was Issue 6 if you count Issue Zero (Which is a free taste to get you hooked), and it's been going for about six months now.

Now, I know a lot of people are wondering just how far the story line intends on going, and are somewhat concerned on just how many issues they will be looking at.

Well, I'm the primary author of Marion's tale, along with the additional survivors tales that are included after Marion's story.

Currently, all the way to Issue #10 has been written, and the trek had been outlined all the way to Issue #100 (Hey, America is a big ol' place), with additional survivor tales and the like.

So, if anyone is wondering just how long this tale will stretch out, I'd say:

Awhile.

Just figured those of you who are subscribed to it, or are picking it up issue by issue, might want to know that the story is there for the long haul.

In addition:

We're always looking for someone who wants to submit an article or two involving specific points of the Post Rising world, or even specific points of d20 Modern and/or Year of the Zombie rules.

Just let us know, or drop me an email.

--Tim Willard

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Warlord Ralts said:
Recently, Issue 5 of the Survivor's Guide to Risen America was released. Technically, it was Issue 6 if you count Issue Zero (Which is a free taste to get you hooked)

I just went back and double-checked. It's issue four that just came out (issue five if you count the zero issue). I just wanted to point that out. :)

EDIT: Is there ever going to be a game mechanic about being so close to death that the zombies don't attack you? First Sylvia with her radiation sickness, and now Marion with lung cancer and TB; it'd be cool if there was a feat or flaw or something to give your character that ability.

I can see how that'd be hard to balance though, as it'd make you almost immune to the biggest threat of the Risen World (some zombies still seem like they'd attack you), which is too useful, until your long-surviving character just keels over dead.

Ralts Bloodthorne

First Post
Alzrius said:
I just went back and double-checked. It's issue four that just came out (issue five if you count the zero issue). I just wanted to point that out. :)
I thought it had already come out. LOL Oh well, no blood no foul.

So you know there's at least 6 months worth on the way, text that is.

EDIT: Is there ever going to be a game mechanic about being so close to death that the zombies don't attack you? First Sylvia with her radiation sickness, and now Marion with lung cancer and TB; it'd be cool if there was a feat or flaw or something to give your character that ability.[

I can see how that'd be hard to balance though, as it'd make you almost immune to the biggest threat of the Risen World (some zombies still seem like they'd attack you), which is too useful, until your long-surviving character just keels over dead.
Well, the biggest threat isn't really the zombies, eventually they're more of an environmental hazard than anything else.

Still, I don't intend on giving up a mechanic for close to death == blind zombies.

It basically follows the "bad meat" theory. Zombies can sense people to some extant, and people who are "bad meat" don't exactly move the same way. Sylvia gave off an "I'm dying" aura, and with the massive soft-tissue damage due to radiation poisoning, they could sense that she was full of more dead flesh than live. (Why zombies don't attack one another)

With Marion, he doesn't move like regular people. Gross motor control damage makes him somewhat jerky (It doesn't affect his pistolero skills though), his damaged lungs makes it so he doesn't breathe right, and his breath smells somewhat of corruption and old blood. So a zombie will see him as a fellow zombie.

You know, while we're at it, I'll do Q&A if anyone has any questions.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Are there any plans for a YotZ: Fantasy-type supplement (I assume that one for d20 Past isn't worth doing)? It'd be very interesting to try and put the Rising into context in a game world that has mighty magic (curing zombification? divinations about what started it?), deities (gods of healing, undeath, etc.), other planes of existence, and more.

Ralts Bloodthorne

First Post
Alzrius said:
Are there any plans for a YotZ: Fantasy-type supplement (I assume that one for d20 Past isn't worth doing)? It'd be very interesting to try and put the Rising into context in a game world that has mighty magic (curing zombification? divinations about what started it?), deities (gods of healing, undeath, etc.), other planes of existence, and more.
I plan on touching on that eventually, but there's a lot in the queue before that.

One thing will stay standard: No magic can cure someone who has been bitten, the zombies cannot be turned.

According to the outline I drew up, the usually completely withdraw their power from the mortal sphere, giving credibility to the theory that the Rising is a punishment from the Gods.

Remove ads