A Pathfinder optimization competition?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I'm half thinking of holding a little optimization competition for Pathfinder. Would anyone be interested in such a thing?

The idea would be to create a 1st-level optimized Pathfinder player character. Any class or race combination; all official books allowed, but no third party books (for simplicity's sake). Should subsequent builds of the character also be required? 5th, 10th, 15th, 20th level? Characters uploaded as character sheets so folks can easily download and use them at the table.

It's all in the name of fun. I might be able to rustle up a prize of some kind, maybe even persuade some folks to judge the contest if they have the time.

Bolcien

First Post
how are the stats to be made? 4d6 drop low? point buy? if a point buy? 10? 15? 20? 25? or all? ooo. how about all point buy options and we can pick the one we want/need?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
how are the stats to be made? 4d6 drop low? point buy? if a point buy? 10? 15? 20? 25? or all? ooo. how about all point buy options and we can pick the one we want/need?

It'd have to be point-buy, and I think to make it fair it would need to be the same point value for everybody. Standard is 15 points.

Ramaster

Adventurer
I suggest that the entries should be for 1st level (so that the character main concept is easier to get across), 10th level (to see how this guy/gal performs in the mid-high levels) and a "Sweetspot" level chosen by the creator (to have some degree of flexibility).

Also, you should quickly address the pseudo natural-transcending-extraplanar elephant in the room that is the summoner (specially the synthesist).

Will item choice be an important factor? Is Standard Wealth by Level going to be used?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I haven't prepared the announcement yet, but I've created the category for uploads:

http://www.enworld.org/forum/rpgdownloads.php?categoryid=39

Entries should be:

• PDF format (Herolab PDF preferred if possible, but not required)
  • Provided at levels 1, 10, 20; you can provide additional levels if you wish, but those three are the minimum
  • 15 point buy; you can provide alternative point-buy versions if you wish, but those are in addition
  • Standard wealth/treasure for the level
  • Notes and explanation section which tells a player how to use this build, and how it works
  • Title should look like this:

Build Name* [Race, Classes/levels]
e.g. Ranged Archer [Elf Fighter 10]

*Build name is what you choose to call your optimized build, and should describe what it does

delericho

Legend
Who's going to judge, and on what grounds?

Also, you should probably be aware you're liable to be hit by someone using some... questionable rules interpretations and/or theoretical optimisations.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Who's going to judge, and on what grounds?

I'll ask a few prominent Pathfinder folks and see who's available.

Also, you should probably be aware you're liable to be hit by someone using some... questionable rules interpretations and/or theoretical optimisations.

Well, I'll leave that to the judges to decide! The important part is that folks have a bit of fun. I haven't even figured out a decent prize yet!

Remove ads