A Question about Shelter from the Storm 4e (spoilers)

Bercilak

Explorer
So, this is a minor (I think) spoiler question.

In the General Encounter called "Someone is Looking for You," in the mini skill challenge, the characters get to interrogate someone, and that person tells them something about the "strange equipment" at a location (p.20). However, there's nothing in the description of that location that mentions any strange equipment. Anyone know what "strange equipment" means?

(Hopefully that wasn't too vague. I'm never sure if putting "Spoiler" on a post is enough or if I should be rather obtuse as well. I err on the side of obtuse.)

Thanks,
Berc

Daern

Explorer
Don't be obstuse. I can't figure out what you're talking about. Players shouldn't really lurk here anyways.
The only strange equipment I can think of would be in Sidoneth the biomantic wizard's lab.

Bercilak

Explorer
Avoiding obtuseness.... /on

In the General Encounter "Someone is Looking for You" starting on page 19, the PCs can infiltrate a White Wyrm hideout and capture Jess. They then get the chance to interrogate Jess (as listed on p. 20) and she tells them that "the strange equipment in the hideout is a second shipment of items." However, there's no mention that I see in the description of the hideout of the strange equipment, so I'm curious what that equipment is, and why it's so strange.

(I frankly feel that whole encounter needs reworking--at least for my group. I'm not sure my players will go from "watching for someone to pick up a letter at a house" to "scouring the streets for information about the White Wyrms" as easily as this encounter suggests they will.)
--Berc

EugeneZ

First Post
Agreed, this thread was problematic. Just as you say, the players had a tough time seeing the connections and I didn't really like the way things worked out. We spent a lot of time doing pointless investigation -- just another poorly designed skill challenge, in my opinion. I'm guessing it was a single Gather Information check in the 3e version ... still, not that I (or Wizards, for that matter) can do any better.

Anyway, to answer your question, yes, the strange equipment in the hideout is never specified -- in that quest. However, the answer is in the last paragraph of page 43 and the beginning of page 44. However, I left this connection entirely out of my campaign. While I can understand the Ragesians paying the White Wyrms to cause terror and hence distraction, I don't understand why they need them to transport extremely important and secretive equipment.

Hope that helps.

Remove ads