A question about the hunting Lodge in HoTDQ

Leo_ASF

First Post
There is a "Elven armor"/ plate armor as trap/treasure in this chapter, but it just a common set of plate armor with half its weight (elven made) or does it have some special quality like an elven chain?

Sent from my C6906 using EN World mobile app

The former, I would say. However, there is generally thought to not be enough magical items in the book, so you could be justified in quietly making it a set of full plate with minor Elven-themed magical properties. Letting you hide with no penalty while in forests, for example?

discosoc

First Post
I assumed it was just standard plate armor with elven designs and craftsmanship (and chipped green paint). Remember, that passage specifically states that if the magical traps are removed, the armor becomes non-magical.

Also, I'm not sure where the reference to elven armor being half the normal weight comes from. Is that something I've missed in another AP or source book? I recall stuff like that in older additions and Pathfinder, but 5e doesn't have it as far as I know.

Last edited:

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I assumed it was just standard plate armor with elven designs and craftsmanship (and chipped green paint). Remember, that passage specifically states that if the magical traps are removed, the armor becomes non-magical.

Also, I'm not sure where the reference to elven armor being half the normal weight comes from. Is that something I've missed in another AP or source book? I recall stuff like that in older additions and Pathfinder, but 5e doesn't have it as far as I know.

IIRC, Elven Chain in specific is lightweight?

discosoc

First Post
IIRC, Elven Chain in specific is lightweight?

Code:
Elven Chain (DMG p168)
Armor (chain shirt), rare

You gain a +1 bonus to AC while you wear this armor.  You are considered proficient 
with this armor even if you lack proficiency with medium armor.

In case maybe my DMG printing is outdated or something, I also checked http://donjon.bin.sh/5e/magic_items/ (click on the item for a description), and it says the same thing.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Code:
Elven Chain (DMG p168)
Armor (chain shirt), rare

You gain a +1 bonus to AC while you wear this armor.  You are considered proficient 
with this armor even if you lack proficiency with medium armor.

In case maybe my DMG printing is outdated or something, I also checked http://donjon.bin.sh/5e/magic_items/ (click on the item for a description), and it says the same thing.

I think the proficiency exception is meant to mirror a lesser heft, if not weight? Reading between the lines there, though.

discosoc

First Post
I think the proficiency exception is meant to mirror a lesser heft, if not weight? Reading between the lines there, though.

I assume it's meant to imply that the armor is simply magically enchanted in a way that it doesn't take formal training to make full use of it. The description for Mithril Armor is closer to what you're going for, since it mention being a "light, flexible metal" that makes it easier to stealth around in. Even that armor doesn't actually mention anything about it weighing less, mechanically speaking.

Speaking of Mithril, that was the material from the 3/3.5/Pathfinder set that I think people are assuming has carried over. It's not magical, but it does specifically call out various benefits, including a 50% reduction in weight.

Leo_ASF

First Post

I took it from DMG page 142 Chapter treasure under special features

Table
Who created it?
Elf "the items is half the normal weight"

Sent from my C6906 using EN World mobile app

Remove ads