• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

A question to my fellow Europeans

StealthyMark

First Post
Germany

My Situation in Germany:
I've Dragon 296 since two weeks, Dungeon 93 since a few days. But... I've got a international subscription.

Deities and Demigods is in my hands since about three weeks, Faith and Pantheons and Stonghold Builders Guidebook should recieve tomorrow. All ordered via amazon.com. International shipping rates are expensive ($7 - 12), the books itself are cheaper than on amazon.de.

I ordered all previous products via amazon.de, and they had usually a lag of 3-5 weeks.

Loegrimm

First Post
I've order Epic handbook & MM II via Amazon.com. With the save for pre-order and good delivery time (2 week) it's better than buy the book in Italy. Here the game supplement are not book but game so we must a +20% of tax!!!!!
It's absurd but the italian version are less expensive.
Order to Amazon it's a good altrnative, the problem remain for Dragon/Dungeon

Sesostris

First Post
I live in the Copenhagen, the capital of Denmark, and we usually get products within two weeks of them shipping in the US.

Got the stronghold builder's guidebook lasr tuesday.

Last edited:

LcKedovan

Explorer
Re: Germany

StealthyMark said:
My Situation in Germany:
I've Dragon 296 since two weeks, Dungeon 93 since a few days. But... I've got a international subscription.

Same here, I got tired of worrying if I would miss an issue (which I am... 294 :() but since the subscription all has been great.

As for Dieties & Demigods and Call of Cthulhu... I picked those up while workin' in London. The game store here in Munich didn't have it... *sigh*

-Will

Steven McRownt

First Post
Loegrimm said:
It's clear that there's a general distribution problem for the Europe. My only hope is that the WOtC changes her attitude for the european market or within few year D&D will be relegated in a small segment of the game business.

I completely agree on that. BTW what is your company? I am very courious now...

ps: Steven McRownt, i will not came at Rome for tournament but I will play at Pisa the first week of July. It seems that the D&D has found new supporter in our country!!

I will probably have a trip to Pisa too. We could manage a meeting as our fellow americans will do at GenCon! We could even ask to Morrus a sort of sponsorship!!!!! ;)

Steven McRownt

Zappo

Explorer
"Distribution"? Hardly. Stuff in English usually reaches me between two weeks and a month after it has been published in the USA (thanks to a local store ordering it). Stuff in Italian takes, hmmm, something just less than forever after that, I don't really know or care because I usually get the manuals in English. The fact that I'm the only one in my group who reads English as quickly and well as Italian is just an added plus: they aren't going to peek at the DM's manuals! :D

Loegrimm

First Post
Hi italian mates!
For Steven McRownt,
It's simple to discover the identity of my company; there are tree or four in the game industry wth some correlation with d20. I think it'nt fair if I espress my opinion like an employee of my company so I prefer to no reveal my identity and my opinion aren't correlated with my work.

For Zappo,
You have your stuff simply 'cause your shop (Unicorn I think?) order directly in US. You are lucky indeed but for the other italian players the problem remain.

Anyway if we, the italian players, could find some form to support the rpg in general can be a good thing.

Durifern

First Post
I could get all I want from amazon.de but the price is the problem. Looking at amazon.com I could bang my head against the wall: 30% off for nearly every WotC product. Here in Germany I have to pay a lot more: Lords of Darkness $21 vs. 35€. :(

I´d buy more stuff but 35€ for a 192 pages TPB? Too much.

In my area I know only two shops which sell D&D stuff but the selection isn´t good and it´s more expansive, too. So amazon is the only way to go.

I´m not interested in magazines and for me time isn´t critical either, so I can´t tell you anything about that. :)

sotterraneo

First Post
Distribution in Italy

For Zappo,
You have your stuff simply 'cause your shop (Unicorn I think?) order directly in US. You are lucky indeed but for the other italian players the problem remain.

Anyway if we, the italian players, could find some form to support the rpg in general can be a good thing. [/B][/QUOTE]

I'm a games retailer so I'd like voicing my opinion on this subject. I have always experienced a delay of one month from the official release date in the US and the actual arrival of English D&D books in my store. More lateness, recently: I have never received CoC d20 or Deities and Demigods (but I'm told they will arrive at the beginning of June).

Please note however that English d20/D&D sales in Italy are very small compared to the Italian language ones. Of course in this forum things seem different, but they don't reflect the reality of the Italian market. Just to make an example, I sold six copies of he English Manual of the Planes and TWENTY of the Italian edition in one month (and they keep selling)... and I'm a very specialzed store with some English reading customers.

Because I care of my customers, I talked a couple of times with 25 Edition about English products lateness. They told me that the European warehose will be closed (for D&D and d20 stuff) because in WotC/Hasbro eyes it has become 'unprofitable'. Perhaps it will exist, in an purely theoretical fashion, only for fiscal reasons (when I voiced my surprise in seeing WotC willing to risk customs delays and taxes for their books, they replied "Yeah, we too").

WotC response has been this: they told the European distributors to gauge an estimate of how many books they will sell for the ENTIRE LIFE of a product and then order that number of copies. I was almost strangled by laughs when I heard this... but 25 Edition kept telling me this so I realized it COULD be true. Perhaps, in a true multinational-ivory tower-cost managers-fashion, they think to have one huge shipment to the Old World, splitting it for Germany, France, Italy, Spain, UK and so on and the problem is solved.

Ugh!

Their 'solution' is a stupid one. This way, they will push more and more customers in ordering via Internet, lowering sales for game stores like mine (it will not be a real damage, but a sale is a sale!). Luckily, we have the Italin editions...

About price differences, I can't say a word for other European countries, but you Italians should consider that the books must cross the Atlantic and pay custom duties if a company (any company) imports them for sale (and dont forget the OBSCENE 20% VAT for non books) and that lira/dollar exchange rate has always been very unfavorable for us (and the euro in our country reflects this so far - of course I hope that the euro/dollar exchange rate will push the dollar under so English books will turn more affordable and so more popular). This makes direct ordering from the US unprofitable and I don't do it - I prefer using a small company that works with the huge Diamond/Alliance conglomerate has good prices and efficient service.

Being this a discussion forum, I don't want to tell the store I manage and own - I don't like advertising this way. If any body is interested, please feel free to write me personally.

Remove ads