D&D 5E A Simple Flanking Rule, What Do You think?

tommybahama

Adventurer
I'm generally not a fan of the flanking rules since 3E. The problem is that it often creates a chain of creatures, each trying to flank an opponent.

My DM calls this the "conga line" and simply says flanking and being counter flanked negate cancel each other out. This is one of the few home brews he does that I agree with as it makes sense and often allows my fighter to help the other players that aren't good at positioning and often get themselves isolated and flanked.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
No, I imagine if it happened at all it would be toward the end of the 5e life span to boost sales.
Put in perspective... 3.0 was published in 2000... 3.5 was published in july 2003... about 7-8 months later Unearthed arcana was published in February 2004, 3.5 eberron campaign setting was published June 2004, phb2 May of 2006, & 4e not until June 2008 with 5e playtest starting 2012 till the core books were eventually published across 2014. Of course, it's now april 2020.

G

Guest 6801328

My DM calls this the "conga line" and simply says flanking and being counter flanked negate cancel each other out. This is one of the few home brews he does that I agree with as it makes sense and often allows my fighter to help the other players that aren't good at positioning and often get themselves isolated and flanked.

This makes sense. Flanking cancels flanking. Sort of like Advantage/Disadvantage canceling.

And it actually makes the tactical choices more subtle, too.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
I made a similar comment, saying that if sales start to dip that they might think about it
There is another situation. Right now people are being pushed to find alternate interests to burn their leisure time in while
Covid-19
gives them an absurd excess of free time to experiment with. There's no way that the wotc folks don't have a bunch of variant, enhanced, & alternate rules& systems kicking around in their heads or tables. Publishing some of them through that or normal UA would draw interest back.

You never know, but that post was all old content (being released for free of course), unless I missed something.
it's got one day so far & goes to the 10th right now. This won't be over by the tenth. even the most gungho nutters are going to be jumping to get back into meeting in groups right away ;)

I say that as someone who had it & recovered more than 14 days ago (holy crap it sucks!) even with maybe immune I might still be infectious to others & don't see the old crowds suddenly coming back to my usual flgs once the curfews & all end

Fanaelialae

Legend
Or do what past editions did, they tinker with 6e rules by introducing them late in the current edition experimentally.
Given that this edition is one of the less complex editions (advantage vs types bonuses) and extremely successful, I'd be surprised if they pursued a more complex design for the next edition.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
2. It forces the assumption that the person will be more defensive. That is not true for many. Do not tell me how to run my PC. Do not tell me as a DM that mindless undead are more protective.
How about you may sacrifice advantage from flanking on one foe to remove an enemies advantage from flanking you ....

Represents shifting attention could even be seen as a subtle reflection of facing.

Last edited:

Remove ads