A Thought: Probably Best Download all OGL material NOW

delericho

Legend
A throwaway comment on one of the many other threads about the OGL triggered a thought: it's probably a good idea to download any and all OGL material you have purchased from DriveThru or any other similar ventures as a matter of some urgency. Don't rely on those remaining available - if WotC do pull the trigger on de-authorizing OGL 1.0, they may well have those stores pull them as no longer being licensed.

(There was a very similar situation a number of years ago when they suddenly pulled their PDFs of old-edition materials from sale - this was before DMs Guild was a thing - when those were disappeared. I, for one, lost access to several PDFs I had purchased because I was offline for the key week in question.)

With luck, this all blows over and you've wasted some time and storage on backing stuff up. But it's frequently wise to prepare for the worst even while hoping for the best...

D1Tremere

Adventurer
I don't think the new OGL even effects those sales from what I've seen. At worst, the current small business sellers would need to apply and switch the logo.

delericho

Legend
Drive thru? As leaked it probably does effect the OGL ones.
That was my understanding.

(And, incidentally, that's a partial answer to the question "what's to stop me just carrying on publishing under the old OGL?" - given the deals in place, Drive Thru probably won't provide a market for such a product, and Kickstarter probably won't allow campaigns to fund such a product.)

D1Tremere

Adventurer
I'm confused. How does this effect drivethru or kickstarter?
To my understanding, drivethru is a store front, and individual sellers will simply need to switch to the new OGL with little or no change. Kickstarter isnt profit, and the OGL 1.1 specifies profit. Unless the kickstarted product actually generates profits in excess of $750k it shouldn't really be effected by using the new OGL.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases