• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

a variation of Green Lantern

Particle_Man

Explorer
If you want to get wonky, Bizarro Superman is vulnerable to Blue Kryptonite (which is what happens when the silver age duplicator ray goes over Green Kryptonite).

By extension, a bizarro duplicate of a green lantern power might well be a "blue lantern" ring that makes shapes that are the opposite of what you want (kinda like having a series of wish spells creatively misinterpreted by an imaginative and sadistic DM).

MW Turnage

Explorer
Potential Blue Beetle/DC Universe spoilers below

In the new Blue Beetle comic, Jaime, the new Beetle, has just learned that his powers/suit/symbiote is an alien weapon...and one intended for use against the Lanterns and Oans. The creators are still unrevealed. It's been implied that his blue 'aura'/energy is somehow in direct opposition to the Lantern/Oan energy. Lantern rings also tend to freak out around him; Guy Gardner went into a near murderous rage when he first encountered Jaime, one that his ring pushed him into. The ring also kept referring to the Beetle as 'evil'.

I don't think it'd be too much of a stretch to say that the nebulous *someones* who made the Beetle also made a Lantern-like ring. Just make sure there's a bad reaction from Green Latnerns though.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Dirigible said:
It's Warren Ellis. He produces parodies of the Justice League like other men produce carbon dioxide.
This must be a recent and very different Stormwatch. The first one he had his hands on was a UN superhero team organized more as a paramilitary group than as a JLA analogue.

SWBaxter

First Post
Blue Lantern said:
Awesome and thanks. But what can my character be called--Lamplighter or Blue Lantern and does Lamplighter use blue-light energy? Which dimension of existence does Lamplighter or my Blue Lantern character exist in? And for which rpg can Lamplighter or my Blue Lantern character be used in--the Marvel rpg world dimension, the DC world dimension, or ?.

Assuming you're talking about using the character in a game: he (or whatever) can be called whatever you like. They exist in whatever dimension is appropriate for your game. And you can use the character in whichever game system you like, so long as the GM of your particular group is OK with the concept. There's no gaming police that's going to kick down your door and tell you you're doing things wrong.

There's lots of Green Lantern knockoffs in different superhero settings, both in the comics and in RPGs. Nobody's going to send goons after you for doing your own, so make up your own answers and go crazy.

So far as "opposite" colours go, the classic green vs. yellow doesn't really represent an opposing relationship either artistically or scientifically; green and yellow are fairly close together on the classic colour wheel, for example, and adjacent in the classic ROYGBIV spectrum. This means you can pick whatever colour you like to be the opposing colour, and make it work. Red is nice and dramatic, looks good in a lot of superhero costumes, so it's a fine choice.

Pozatronic

First Post
Whizbang Dustyboots said:
This must be a recent and very different Stormwatch. The first one he had his hands on was a UN superhero team organized more as a paramilitary group than as a JLA analogue.

Although, The Authority did stem from his run on Stormwatch, and you do have to admit that the Apollo/Midnighter combo is rather like Superman/Batman. Maybe that's where they'
re getting the idea from. But other than that, I do agree with you. Stormwatch isn't really an analogue of JLA. now Squandron Supreme....there's a JLA analogue. But that has nothing to do with Warren Ellis. And this post has nothing to do with this thread.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Yeah, Midnighter and Apollo is a definite "what if Batman and Superman were gay lovers" riff, along with pushing Batman to even darker places than they seem obsessed with doing with the regular character.

SWBaxter

First Post
Whizbang Dustyboots said:

I'm not real familiar with Stormwatch, but Wikipedia's article on the team says that Ellis introduced a "secret" Stormwatch team with direct parallels to the JLA:

Apollo - Superman
Midnighter - Batman
Impetus - Flash
Amaze - Wonder Woman
Lamplight - Green Lantern
Stalker - Martian Manhunter
Crow Jane - Black Canary

I can't speak to how close the homage/parody/whatever is to the source, but it seems reasonable to me that there's at least a nod to DC's characters.

pawsplay

Hero
SWBaxter said:
There's lots of Green Lantern knockoffs in different superhero settings, both in the comics and in RPGs. Nobody's going to send goons after you for doing your own, so make up your own answers and go crazy.

For that matter, the Silver Age Green Lantern was a knockoff of the Lensmen series.

Baron Opal

First Post
I don't know if there were ever stats written for Green Lantern in a DC Heroes supplement, but I'm sure you can duplicate his abilities fairly easily given a GM who knows the game rules well.

As for official lore, this was mentioned above. There are only the Green Lanterns, with one "Yellow Lantern", Sinestro, who is a fallen Green Lantern IIRC. He had some help fabricating a yellow power ring from a (personally) unknown source. He came to a bad end and is currently deceased, trapped or otherwise fairly permanently not causing trouble anymore. (As permanent as these things get in comics, that is.)

Also as mentioned above, Warren Ellis has written some stories under the Wildstorm imprint that borrow some ideas from the DC Universe. One of these is, as mentioned, a group of aliens concerned with justice build "blue lanterns" that meld with a person and give them Green Lantern-like powers. As far as we can tell, from the 2-3 pages that we have on these guys, there are no "Oans". These folks govern themselves and hand out lanterns as needed. These guys don't have any connection to the DC Green Lanterns.

Orange is the color opposite to blue. Red is the color opposite to green.

LoneWolf23

First Post
SWBaxter said:
So far as "opposite" colours go, the classic green vs. yellow doesn't really represent an opposing relationship either artistically or scientifically; green and yellow are fairly close together on the classic colour wheel, for example, and adjacent in the classic ROYGBIV spectrum. This means you can pick whatever colour you like to be the opposing colour, and make it work. Red is nice and dramatic, looks good in a lot of superhero costumes, so it's a fine choice.

Originally, the concept between the Yellow weakness was that it was a "Yellow Impurity" placed within the Power Rings, which turned the otherwise Blue energy of the Guardians into Green energy, and made the energy further vulnerable to yellow.

Why place in the Impurity? To prevent the Lanterns from abusing their powers by giving them a strong limitation.

Remove ads