A way for druids to talk to plants

GMMichael

Guide of Modos

A study in the journal Cell has discovered ways in which plants emit sounds when they are stressed.

If you have druid PC, you might work this in somehow.
I can see it now:

Druid leans close to young tree.

"Are you going to tell me what I want to know?"

Tree doesn't respond.

Druid grabs a branch and bends it in half.

"Are you gonna tell me now? HUH!?"

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I wonder how this will impact the vegetarians and vegans for whom wanting to not hurt animals is their motivating factor. (There are a lot of reasons people become vegetarians or vegans, but this is one of the big ones.) If your tomato plant can feel pain and fear, what makes it different than the pain and fear felt by a pig?

As far as D&D goes, being able to communicate with plants via sound, rather than smells or humidity, is pretty dang cool, especially since the sound pulses seem a lot more rapid than Entish.

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
Well I've read different articles over the years, or saw videos that showed how plants have kind of 'nervous system', where radiative particles were put into a plant, and causing distress to a leave on side, sends information across it's 'system' that lets the entire plant 'know' what and where distress is happening.

I've read an article where tree groves are interconnected, especially via it's root system, where touching root systems underground create a connection and 'awareness' of other plants/trees in it's system. Trees that are ailing due to some disease will be sustained by trees around it. Sometimes a tree is cut down, but the remaining stump has an intact root system, and even without foilage can be kept alive for decades by the trees around it - keeping the stump alive.

Now this suggests trees in distress emit sounds...

Apparently the botanical systems of trees are so complex, in some ways possess features that are handled with different systems for animals, but have similar utilization in ways we are only beginning to understand. Perhaps, just as animals, once we figure out how to do it, there are probably more effective means of communication and interactions with plantlife...

Well I've read different articles over the years, or saw videos that showed how plants have kind of 'nervous system', where radiative particles were put into a plant, and causing distress to a leave on side, sends information across it's 'system' that lets the entire plant 'know' what and where distress is happening.

That's just inflammation.

If you get bitten by a mosquito an area much larger than the actual bite will have swollen up long before you actually feel it

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
I wonder how this will impact the vegetarians and vegans for whom wanting to not hurt animals is their motivating factor. (There are a lot of reasons people become vegetarians or vegans, but this is one of the big ones.) If your tomato plant can feel pain and fear, what makes it different than the pain and fear felt by a pig?
Life feeds on life (feeds on life). Some of these vegans might have to switch to this weird animal-free meat I've heard about a couple of times now.

As far as D&D goes, being able to communicate with plants via sound, rather than smells or humidity, is pretty dang cool, especially since the sound pulses seem a lot more rapid than Entish.
Everything is more rapid than Entish. But I thought they just used magic in D&D?

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases