A way for druids to talk to plants

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
So, I guess someone does hear it when a tree falls in the forest. S

I think I would do a simple language and then a more complex one. The simple is the background noise of a forest, a general emotion of contentment, fear, concern, curiosity, and such that a druid could pick up while moving through the area. The more complex would be thoughts and communication with individual plants and take a bit more effort and contact.

Well, it can announce distress, but is that the same as 'feeling' distress?

That opens up the question of what the functional difference is between something that can't feel pain because reasons and something else that can't feel pain because reasons, and what basis we're using to rank which reasons are better or worse.

As for the topic at hand, the popping sounds make for an interesting basis for plant language, particularly as you could arguably speak it vocally or non-vocally, as all you'd need is some maneuverable appendage that lets you make a range of such sounds; a language that sounds identical whether spoken or signed.

I mean, we know from personal experience that you can have a physiological reaction to something and either not feel it at all or not feel it until after the physiological reaction has occurred.

I've nicked myself shaving many times without feeling it. The nicks still scabbed up.

Bill Zebub

“It’s probably Matt Mercer’s fault.”
db7410211-1024x332.jpg

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
Would be interesting to sing to the plants, rock, heavy metal, etc. Druid having parties in the woods, losers of the battle of the bands being sacrificed to the trees.

Acacia trees notably can tell when they are being damaged (eaten by giraffes) and react by sending a signal of ethylene gas. Acacias which detect this gas pump unpleasant-tasting tannins into their leaves as a deterrent.

Remove ads