A "Why Oh Why" RPG Thread [+]

CreamCloud0

One day, I hope to actually play DnD.
But that doesn't really answer the question, though. Plenty of humanoids lack protective shells, scales, etc., too...but oh heavens no, they aren't allowed to cover up with metal for protection. But if they're lacking claws and fangs, metal is acceptable?

It's just so weird and arbitrary; I feel like it should be all-or-nothing. For my part, I'd prefer druids who won't use metal of any kind, not even coins for currency...they fight with spears and bows, their armor is made from chitin and hides, they trade in pearls and pelts, etc. Much more evocative. If you're going to put in a restriction "for flavor," commit to it. :)
it'd be an interesting way to add more nuance to weapons and armour if what they were made of gave them different properties, druids weilding weapons made of wood, stone and monster parts.

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
But that doesn't really answer the question, though. Plenty of humanoids lack protective shells, scales, etc., too...but oh heavens no, they aren't allowed to cover up with metal for protection. But if they're lacking claws and fangs, metal is acceptable?

It's just so weird and arbitrary; I feel like it should be all-or-nothing. For my part, I'd prefer druids who won't use metal of any kind, not even coins for currency...they fight with spears and bows, their armor is made from chitin and hides, they trade in pearls and pelts, etc. Much more evocative. If you're going to put in a restriction "for flavor," commit to it. :)
The real interesting part about this is that it implies that Druids didn't exist until after the end of the stone age, where there was any kind of metal to prohibit. Now this is just my headcanon at this point, I have no information to work with, other than the existence of Druid and Priest-adjacent classes in D&D's past, like Angakok's (wait no, those are Wizards), Shamans, Shamani, Spirit Shamans, Shugenja, Witch Doctors, etc..

If you consider that divine powers come from pacts with deities, not dissimilar to the pacts a Warlock makes (there's a major religion in our world that basically starts with a pact someone made with a deity, so I find this credible, especially since there is a story where a pesky magician subverts that pact to gain the power of foresight), then perhaps these pacts are "renegotiated" over time.

In the early days, primal powers didn't have any metal to worry about, but once the bronze age began, maybe when the proto-Druids asked for powers, the primal entities (whatever they are) were like, "hey, you know, I don't mind so much if you harvest the hides and scales of living creatures for defense, but I'm not so keen on this bronze stuff". Or maybe this occurred when the iron age began in earnest. Maybe there's an expiration date on Druid powers, and every so often, the Hierophant has to hammer out a new pact.

This could neatly explain edition changes to their powers, and how Druids snuck in "agricultural and hunting tools" to their weapon list in the first place.

What we're seeing in 5e could be the result of those negotiations going on as we speak, thus explaining that while there is current no actual ban against wearing metal armor, no Druid is going to risk it for fear of torking off the primal powers- and maybe in a few years, those entities will relent and say "sure, fine, you can wear bronze, or even iron armor, but none of this adamantine stuff!"

The real interesting part about this is that it implies that Druids didn't exist until after the end of the stone age, where there was any kind of metal to prohibit.
I don't think this follows. Druids might have existed from time out of mind, but when this newfangled metal stuff started getting popular, the primal powers put their paw down and said, "Nope. Not for you."
Or maybe this occurred when the iron age began in earnest.
I'm still liking the idea that it's only iron that's a problem. One detects hints of a bronze-using culture getting pushed back by an iron-using one.

(Incidentally, the most radical thing about the switch to iron wasn't its hardness, but its ubiquity. Once you master the smelting of it, you can find it in lots of places... While bronze was tightly limited by the availability of tin.)

Yeah, the D&D Bard is also a mish-mash of different archetypes that got drunk in a tavern one night and 9 months later gave birth to the class as we know it.

So as far as Rangers having magic, I don't know. It's often believed that they were trying to emulate Aragorn, who has some exceptional abilities due to his training and Numenorean heritage, but wasn't a magician by any means. So how the 1e Ranger ended up with Druid and M-U spells is a bit odd.
My take on it has always been that it also was also a way to emulate Aragorn's various not-coded-as-magic abilities in a system which had not yet decided how it was going to do skills and abilities. Ranger first appeared in The Strategic Review #2, which came out a quarter-year after Supplement I introduced Thieves and their skill system. At that point, 'build this like we did the thief abilities' might not have been intuitive, and instead they did what 5e does and 'when in doubt, make it a spell.'
I've never minded their magic use, as without it, they might as well be a Subclass of Fighter. But the class is just one of those strange artifacts of D&D. Most characters in fiction you would think of as Rangers wouldn't be a good fit for the class.
The (okay, 'a') general problem with rangers is the one thing everyone agrees rangers do is survive well in the wilds, and most-likely make good trackers (and usually are good at sneaking). That core identity bleeds out of the class system the instant you have a skill system. 2e is a good example: non-weapon proficiencies became a standard* part of the core, and any fighter could be a passible ranger, so rangers got some extra bells and whistles like can dual-wield in light armor easily to keep their identities distinct.
*Well, 'optional' with a lot of further content, such as kits, not making sense if you didn't use it.

Staffan

Legend
(Incidentally, the most radical thing about the switch to iron wasn't its hardness, but its ubiquity. Once you master the smelting of it, you can find it in lots of places... While bronze was tightly limited by the availability of tin.)
Not just the availability of tin, but the availability of tin and copper in the same place. That usually necessitated trade, so you kind of don't want to mess too much with your potential trading partners. But iron just needs iron, so once you have that you're good (and if you don't, you're effed).

Thomas Shey

Legend
Honestly, this one confuses me as well. I've only ever played xD&D rangers in AD&D - never in any of the "modern" editions of the game - where Rangers don't even get their spells until something like 8th level. Because high-level games were rare for me, I almost never had a Ranger that could cast spells, and still enjoyed playing them as a class distinct from Fighter.

Its a historical artifact.
When the original ranger appeared in The Strategic Review back in the day, the author gave them some spell capability to emulate some of Aragorn's quasi-supernatural abilities, and the element just propagated down over time.

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
I think that at this point, in terms of 5E, the Ranger pretty much has to be a half caster in order to justify it being a separate class. Just my two cents.

Nijay

Explorer
Why oh why don't player characters (and any NPCs close to them) discuss/analyze their special status as individuals who rapidly gain in supranormal abilities and fortitude coinciding with the start and end of a series of incidental activities (ie., adventures)?
Socially, adventurers tend to group up with other adventurers, and in that way they are recognizing their special status. Everyone has a role to play in society and are expected to contribute what they can, typically by doing what they are good at. Strong people do strong people stuff. Adventurers adventure. I think adventurers see themselves as just the same as everyone else, having great power means they should do great deeds. They're just in a different guild.

Why oh why aren't retirement goals part of character creation? We are encouraged to write up a backstory and come up with our character's motivation to adventure. But narratively we are never asked to come up with what would make our character stop adventuring. That's left to be handled organically. And after you get your revenge, or rescue your family member, or save your village/the world once or twice, it can be a bit awkward to RP why your character continues. Like, ah, these friends I made along the way are so great, or the world will always need saving, that's motivation enough to risk my life despite having enough of a fortune to do anything I want for the rest of my life. In part, it's the answer I gave above. But is every character de facto motivated to endlessly quest to lvl 20 and beyond, now and forever? It can be hard to retire a character depending on the table. You'd think after running into so many NPC's that were retired adventurers, the idea of retirement would be easier to digest.

Jer

Legend
Supporter
Its a historical artifact.
When the original ranger appeared in The Strategic Review back in the day, the author gave them some spell capability to emulate some of Aragorn's quasi-supernatural abilities, and the element just propagated down over time.
Yup. The original Ranger got a single Cleric spell at 8th level and the ability to use healing magic items. Then the ability to cast a MU spell at 9th level instead of a cleric spell and the ability to use scrying items. It's pretty clear that the influence on the author was Aragorn, and the lack of a skill system in original D&D meant that to have those kinds of abilities they should be spells I guess. The shift to AD&D moved it from Cleric and MU to Druid spells because I guess Gygax thought "woodsman would have woodsy spells" (and maybe to make him a little less Aragorn-y for legal reasons, who knows?)

The shift to the half-caster in 3e came about for the same reason the Paladin (who also didn't get spells until I think 9th level) became a half-caster - to move the fun abilities that characters got into the levels that people were actually playing the game at and open up some design space for those classes to make them distinct from the fighter.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases