A Wizard and big XP

Shin Okada

Explorer
We are using FRCS XP rule. A PC wizard was one-level behind other members of the party (he is L8 and others are L10) before the last session. As the last adventure was so combat heavy, he got enough XP to advence him to 10th-level (49,438). According to the rule, he can't do this and his XP is now 1 point less to 10th-level =44,999.

Then, according to PHB P.78, if he gains enough XP to advance a level, he can immediately spend XP to create magic Items, instead of achieving a new level.

Well, then can he spend, say 5,000 xp to create an magic item and achieve 9th level (44,438 xp)?

Last edited:

Crothian

First Post
Well, it depends when he loses the XP. Is the cap something he can never get above or is it something that is compared when he looks to gain a level? Personally, as longh as he does this before he gains his level, I'd allow it. I don't think it's fair that he has to lose expience just because the matrh works out like that.

Darkness

Hand and Eye of Piratecat [Moderator]
I wouldn't allow it; I see the cap as an absolute XP maximum until the character advances...

Buttercup

Princess of Florin
Shin Okada said:
Well, then can he spend, say 5,000 xp to create an magic item and achieve 9th level (44,438 xp)?

That's how I'd handle it. It doesn't seem fair to make him waste the xp, especially given that wizards spend xp to create stuff.

Crothian

First Post
There are a few problems that I have with this rule that wastes earned XP. The first is it depends on how often the DM hands out XP. The second is that it depends on how the numbers add up.

Here's what happened that caused us to rethink this rule. I had missed an adventure a few weeks earlier, so I was already a level behind the rest of the group. I needed 500 to gain a level 4th level (I had 5500). Everyone else was a five hundred over fourth level (they had 6500). We went on a really long and drawn out dungeon crawl (the first eight sessions built up to this and it was the first dungeon crawl of the campaign). We earned a total of seven thousand XP. However, since it would gain me two levels I was forced to lose 2501 (so I now had 9999), but everyone else got to keep all of theirs and now had 13500. It seemed dumb that I did the exact same things as everyone else, yet I couldn't earn the XP. So, I got even farther behind XP wise. I wasn't asking to gain 2 levels at once, that's no fun. I just think there should have been a third option available.

Deadguy

First Post
I must admit, I don't understand this urge to cap XPs. These things are the lifeblood of a character level game, so to apply arbitrary limits to their award seems, well contrarian.

Then again, I tend to award XPs as I go along. That way I don't forget to award points for all the challenges overcome, not just ones that leave notes in my campaign log.

Darkness

Hand and Eye of Piratecat [Moderator]
Advancing a level takes time; advancing two (or more) levels at once is just too much. I agree that there should be an alternative for everyone, though; making one just for spellcasters would be unfair.

Drakmar

Explorer
I have found that as a DM who does all of the XP management for all characters (all the players know is what level they are).. I can prevent that kind of thing from happening. If somebody is close to gaining a level, I might consider creating a break point to allow them to up the level. However they may only be able to gain a few of the advantages of gaining a level until they have had time to train.. ie not getting skill increases.

It works for me.
So I am happy.. and my players are happy too.

WaterRabbit

Explorer
This is a complicated question, but the short answer is that if you give out experience points often enough (at least once every 4 hours) then you shouldn't run into this problem. The point of using the FRCS experience method is to allow lower level characters to catch up with higher level characters.

If I was the GM in this situation, I would just hand out the experience and let the character level along with the rest if it was more than a normal session. Especially, if you are between sessions right now since you won't then have to take time out for the character to level once he gains a few exp.

Mali

First Post
I would give him 2 options, either use the FRCS rule or say that he can all the XP, but he will not level to 10 just yet. Let him stay at lvl 9 for a few weeks then level him up, or give him some downtime to level him to lvl 10. I never like taking XP from players just because they get enough to get them 2 levels, as that is just unfair. But I also agree that getting 2 lvl's in one is a little much, although I suppose it depends upon what the PC's have done in the game.

Remove ads