A Xenomorph for your toughts

Buddha the DM

Explorer
Please keep in mind that this was created many years ago.

XENOMORPH

Template Created By: Valkyn Highwind
Comments & Suggestions From: Robert “Liquide” Ljung

"The Alien represents the inability to harness the (sometimes misaligned) forces of nature. Even with its strength, power and intelligence it still remains a cold unwavering force of survival that shows no regard or sympathy for the life and environments it comes into contact with. Like a cancer it destroys all that it comes into contact with - ultimately using such things for its own destructive purposes."
- Aelthas Uthelienn, Aglarondan Scholar, Faerûn

Xenomorphs generally resemble a cross between a giant insect, spider and scorpion. The monster has a dark and glossy exoskeleton that is usually in shades of black, gray, or brown. Five large spines protrude from the back of humanoid xenomorphs. A ridged tail, about the same length as its height, ends with a spiked stinger at the end. The xenomorph's head consists of a long cranium, no eyes, and a sharp predatorial jaw. When up close and staring into a xenomorph's leer, the most noticeable feature is its terrifying jaw. The jaw has two mouths, one inside the other, with the inside mouth being the tongue. The slimes dripping of them have a rancid smell to it. A will save (DC 15) is required the first time this sight is encountered.

CREATING A XENOMORPH

“Xenomorph” is a template that can be added to any corporeal, aberration, animal, beast, dragon, fey, giant, humanoid, magical beast, monstrous humanoid, shapechanger, or vermin that is small-sized or larger (referred to hereafter as the “base creature”). The creature’s type becomes “beast.” It uses all the base creature’s statistics and special abilities except as noted here.

Size: The xenomorph’s size increases upwards bye one step (for example a small creature would increase in size to medium) towards the large size category (if already large or bigger no size increase is gained). There are no known xenomorphs of the fine or diminutive size categories; this however does not mean that they don’t exist.

Speed: Because of their exotic physiology xenomorphs gain +10 feet in addition to the base creature’s speed. The xenomorphs are excellent swimmers with a speed equal to have their walking rate rounded down to the nearest 10 ft increment, with a good maneuverability underwater. If the base creature already possesses a swimming speed add 10 feet to that value.

AC: Natural armor improves by +6.

Damage: Xenomorphs have bite, jaw (inner mouth), claw and tail attacks. If the base creature does not have these attack forms, use the damage values in the table below. Otherwise, use the values below or the base creature’s damage, whichever is greater.

Size - Bite Damage - Jaw Damage - Claw Damage - Tail Damage
Medium - 1d6 - 1d8 - 1d8 - 1d8
Large - 1d8 - 2d6 - 2d6 - 2d6
Huge - 2d6 - 2d8 - 2d8 - 2d8
Gargantuan - 2d8 - 2d12 - 4d6 - 4d6
Colossal - 4d6 - 4d12 - 4d8 - 4d8

Special Attacks: A Xenomorph retains all the special attacks of the base creature except for any spell casting or psionic abilities, and gains an acid spit attack.

Acid Spit (Ex): By making a ranged touch attack the xenomorph can spit a line of acid that deals 2d6 damage up to 30 ft away.

Special Qualities: A xenomorph has all the special qualities of the base creature plus acidic blood, blindsight, a form of regeneration, spider climb, and a survival instinct.

Acidic Blood (Ex): Perhaps the xenomorph's most deadly feature is its acid blood. If a slashing, piercing, or bludgeoning attack wounds a xenomorph, the xenomorph’s concentrated acidic blood sprays outward from the wound. The blood sprays outward (45 degree towards the attacker) to a radius of feet equal to the damage it received (1 hp damage = 1 ft radius, 2 hp damage = 2 ft radius, 3 hp damage = 3 ft radius, etc) up to a maximum radius of 10 feet. Anyone caught within this radius must make a reflex save (DC equal to 10 plus ½ the damage inflicted) successfully or suffer 3d8 hp acid damage, another 2d8 acid damage the second round, and another d8 acid damage third round. If the attacker was stupid enough to have used a natural weapon (fist, feet, claw, teeth, etc), attacker immediately suffers an additional 3d8 hp acid damage, another 2d8 acid damage the second round, and another d8 acid damage third round. The acid is extremely corrosive, eating up normal weapons and armor within seconds, even rocks. Magical weapons and armor dissolve at the rate of +1 per round instead of seconds. When a xenomorph is killed, it melts into a thick puddle of acid. The puddle of acid eats away at the ground until oxidizing completely in 1d4+3 rounds, leaving behind nothing more than a small amount of skin, skeleton, and a rough crater about 2 feet deep.

It is never a good idea to overkill a xenomorph, or you'll be the one getting overkilled. If a xenomorph's hit point is reduced to -1 or lower, its body explodes upon destruction, spraying all it's deadly internal organs and fluids outward. Their acidic blood sprays outward in all directions to a radius of feet equal to the damage it received (1 hp damage = 1 ft radius, 2 hp damage = 2 ft radius, 3 hp damage = 3 ft radius, etc) up to a maximum radius of 10 feet. Anyone caught within this radius must make a reflex save (DC equal to 10 plus ½ the damage inflicted) at +1 per hit point the xenomorph was overkilled, or immediately suffer 6d8 acid damage the first round, 5d8 acid damage the second round, 4d8 acid damage the third round, and so on down to d8 damage. Xenomorphs that fail the Fort Save when hit for their massive damage threshold explode in an acidic burst that deals 5d6 acid damage, and has a radius of 2 ft + 1 foot per point that they failed the save by. Ref DC 15 for half (or avoid for those with evasion type abilities) damage.

Regenerate (Ex): A xenomorph has the ability to regenerate itself by eating the biomaterial of other living creatures. It can regenerate 1 hit point per pound of matter consumed in this fashion. This is a full round action.

Survival Instinct: The xenomorphs have a strong survival instinct as part of their special intelligence. In combat, they combine cunning and tactics with incredible agility, speed, and strength. The ferocity of these monsters in combat is frightening! Xenomorphs attack without fear of death, and kill for sheer pleasure. A xenomorph never suffers from a lack of morale in combat. If a battle is turning against them, they will make a tactical retreat, only to return with improved strategy and greater force. They are relentless in their pursuit of fleeing prey. When angered, hurt, or destroyed, the xenomorph lets out a terrible ear-piercing shriek or roar.

All xenomorphs hate fire, but suffer no weaknesses from it. In fact, they are extremely resistant to adverse environmental conditions such as cold and heat, and suffer only quarter damage from such attacks both magical and non-magical. Xenomorphs are even completely immune poisons and mind-based magic, including being unaffected by most illusions and psionic abilities. Their exoskeleton has partial immunity to acids (Acid Resistance 16).

Spider Climb (Sp): They are able to scale walls and ceilings with phenomenal ease and their speed is unhampered by tight spaces like airshafts and pipes. Xenomorphs are also excellent swimmers. Xenomorphs can spider climb at will as per the spell of the same name cast by an 10th level arcane spellcaster but with an unlimited duration.

Blindsight (Ex): Gains blindsight 40 ft radius.

Abilities: Increase from the base creature as follows: Str +4, Dex +6, Con +2, Int +2 (Max of 6), Wis +0, Cha -4.

Skills: Same as the base creature plus the xenomorph’s gain a +6 to their Climb, Hide, Move Silently and Swim checks. Xenomorphs have no use for skills that require thought to be put into them such as craft, diplomacy, knowledge and other similar skills, as a result all skills that require complex thought are dropped.

Feats: A xenomorph gains Combat Reflexes, Dodge, Improved Initiative, Lightning Reflexes, Weapon Finesse (Claw, Tail & Bite), and Multiattack, assuming the base creature meets the prerequisites and doesn’t already have these feats. Also a xenomorph possesses no weapon-related feats other than the weapon finesse feats listed above.

Climate: Same as the base creature.
Organization: Solitary or in packs of 2 to 5.
Challenge Rating:
1 – 4 HD = Base Creature CR +4
5 - 8 HD = Base Creature CR +3
9 - 14 HD = Base Creature CR +2
15+ HD = Base Creature CR +1

Treasure: None.
Alignment: Always Neutral.
Advancement: None.

Kaisoku

First Post
I think the paizo staff added a "xenomorph"-ish creature to the Bestiary 2. While it doesn't match exactly (likely IP reasons), it does have some features that you might want to consider adding, such as the hibernation feature.

Here's the PRD entry for them, the Azata.

paradox42

First Post
I think the paizo staff added a "xenomorph"-ish creature to the Bestiary 2. While it doesn't match exactly (likely IP reasons), it does have some features that you might want to consider adding, such as the hibernation feature.

Here's the PRD entry for them, the Azata.
Dude, Azatas are the "new Eladrins," CG Outsiders from Arborea/Olympus. :) Fortunately, your link actually goes to the monster you meant, the Akata (with a K).

As for the template:

A will save (DC 15) is required the first time this sight is encountered.
A Will save... or else What? What are you saving against?

The creature’s type becomes “beast.”
No Beast type in PF; Magical Beast seems the best alternative given a typical Xenomorph's abilities.

Size: The xenomorph’s size increases upwards bye one step (for example a small creature would increase in size to medium) towards the large size category (if already large or bigger no size increase is gained). There are no known xenomorphs of the fine or diminutive size categories; this however does not mean that they don’t exist.
You don't mention the life cycle with the facehuggers from eggs in the template; if you did, it would be worth mentioning that the size of the facehuggers sets a lower bound on the critters that can become (or rather, hatch) Xenomorphs. I'd think nothing below Small size could really work.

Acidic Blood (Ex): Perhaps the xenomorph's most deadly feature is its acid blood. If a slashing, piercing, or bludgeoning attack wounds a xenomorph, the xenomorph’s concentrated acidic blood sprays outward from the wound. The blood sprays outward (45 degree towards the attacker) to a radius of feet equal to the damage it received (1 hp damage = 1 ft radius, 2 hp damage = 2 ft radius, 3 hp damage = 3 ft radius, etc) up to a maximum radius of 10 feet. Anyone caught within this radius must make a reflex save (DC equal to 10 plus ½ the damage inflicted) successfully or suffer 3d8 hp acid damage, another 2d8 acid damage the second round, and another d8 acid damage third round. If the attacker was stupid enough to have used a natural weapon (fist, feet, claw, teeth, etc), attacker immediately suffers an additional 3d8 hp acid damage, another 2d8 acid damage the second round, and another d8 acid damage third round. The acid is extremely corrosive, eating up normal weapons and armor within seconds, even rocks. Magical weapons and armor dissolve at the rate of +1 per round instead of seconds. When a xenomorph is killed, it melts into a thick puddle of acid. The puddle of acid eats away at the ground until oxidizing completely in 1d4+3 rounds, leaving behind nothing more than a small amount of skin, skeleton, and a rough crater about 2 feet deep.
Too complex, IMO- how about just saying it hits everything within a radius of 10 feet, and works like Acid Arrow (so 2d4 damage each round it lasts)? Duration would be either a static 3 rounds, or maybe depends on the Xenomorph's HD (and then works exactly like the spell- so an 18-HD Xenomorph would be a really nasty customer).

The same comments apply to the "overkill effect" also, of course.

Regenerate (Ex): A xenomorph has the ability to regenerate itself by eating the biomaterial of other living creatures. It can regenerate 1 hit point per pound of matter consumed in this fashion. This is a full round action.
This isn't a Regenerate ability- this is something else. Maybe, "As a full-round action, the Xenomorph can eat up to 1 pound of organic matter per HD. Eating matter this way heals the Xenomorph by 1 hit point per pound of matter consumed."

Not sure what to call it, probably something like "True Digestion" or "Eat to Live"?

A xenomorph never suffers from a lack of morale in combat.
This was the only rules-like notation I noticed in that first paragraph of "Survival Instinct;" I called it out because morale is not a part of the core rules set. It is a common variant rule, of course; lots of people use it. It's just worth noting that this feature of the template won't have any effect in a standard game.

All xenomorphs hate fire, but suffer no weaknesses from it. In fact, they are extremely resistant to adverse environmental conditions such as cold and heat, and suffer only quarter damage from such attacks both magical and non-magical.
Nah, fire clearly damaged the Aliens in the movies quite well- that was, after all, why flamethrowers were weapons of choice against them. It often didn't kill them, true, but face it- we intend these monsters to have lots of hit points!

Plus, we want to standardize this for PF rules, so I'd suggest going with the trio of "Immune to Acid, Resist Cold [X], Vulnerable to Fire" used earlier in the thread.

Xenomorphs are even completely immune poisons and mind-based magic,
Nice touch- poisons and diseases should probably be things they're immune to, very definitely. That wasn't something anybody else in this thread caught, but it fits the critter extremely well and makes it more dangerous. More of an "ultimate survivor," which is of course exactly what these are supposed to be.

The mind-based magic might not be total immunity- certainly, the minds of these things are very alien, but they can be tricked. So maybe go with the modern Mind Blank and just give them a flat +8 to Will saves against Mind-Affecting spells or effects, and also illusions of course. The illusion thing is easy to explain as being the result of most casters not being able to adjust for the Xenomorph's alien senses.

Spider Climb (Sp): They are able to scale walls and ceilings with phenomenal ease and their speed is unhampered by tight spaces like airshafts and pipes. Xenomorphs are also excellent swimmers. Xenomorphs can spider climb at will as per the spell of the same name cast by an 10th level arcane spellcaster but with an unlimited duration.
No need to mention the swimming in this ability, but again, nice catch that was missed earlier. Xenomorphs in the movies are grabbing walls and ceilings constantly- they clearly have some sort of Spider Climb-like ability! The only question, in my mind, is whether to make this ability spell-like, supernatural, or just extraordinary. (Ex) is the most powerful version, of course, since it means it works in antimagic and dead magic areas, and can't be dispelled.

Also, as Systole noted early in the thread, giving them a Climb speed is clearly called for, and actually performs many of the same functions going by the standard rules (though it doesn't let them hang on to or run on ceilings, necessarily- they'll still need Spider Climb for that).

Abilities: Increase from the base creature as follows: Str +4, Dex +6, Con +2, Int +2 (Max of 6), Wis +0, Cha -4.
Higher CON increase, surely? These things are supposed to be Ultimate Survivors. I'd rate CON as increasing at least +6- or perhaps set a minimum value like 20, the way you set a max on INT.

Also, it occurs to me that although we don't know how many hit dice the human victims of the facehuggers had, in the movies, the Xenomorphs hatched from them seemed to have a lot- so maybe we should set a minimum on the number of hit dice a Xenomorph has- like 5. Thoughts?

Skills: Same as the base creature plus the xenomorph’s gain a +6 to their Climb, Hide, Move Silently and Swim checks. Xenomorphs have no use for skills that require thought to be put into them such as craft, diplomacy, knowledge and other similar skills, as a result all skills that require complex thought are dropped.
They'd get an automatic +8 to Climb and Swim from having Climb speed and/or Swim speed. So those can probably be dropped. +6 or +8 to Stealth works rather well. How about +6 to Escape Artist (to explain their ability to move in tight spaces), and +6 to Acrobatics?

Last edited:

Ramaster

Adventurer
I'm not sure about some of these things.

After thinking about it for a while, I realized that the Colonial Marines used flamethrowers because they were told to (not because they proved effective). Additionally, it makes sense not to use firearms aboard a spaceship... that's just common sense!

As for the immunities to mind affecting effects... my initial thought was to make them Vermin (They are called parasites on different occasions), but then the aberrant origin seemed to be more adequate for a fantasy setting. Maybe if the game was more on the Hard sci-fi field the vermin type would be appropriate.

I think it is a brilliant idea to make a Xenomorph template; that is probably the way these creatures work. On the third movie, the one where they are on the prison, the facehugger latches onto a dog and we get a slightly different animal. Since I was featuring the xenos more as a 1-off thing, the whole Template business would be a waste of time.

I must also add that I don't think that the movie monsters would be CR 10-12 (the aim I had for the statblock I produced). They are probably on the CR 6-7 area. Pretty fricking frightening for a group of 10-15 non-combatants, but just a really tough fight for a competent quasi-superheroic band of seasoned adventurers.

The Intelligence score is a tricky one. I went with a 5, definitely smarter than an animal, but still governed by instinct. Dropping it to 4 might be a sound idea, maybe leaving the 5 for the queen, but this is highly debatable.

The creatures, however, always struck me as relatively fragile. Machinegun rounds seemed to make short work of them (this is rather evident on the second movie). I "get" the "they are survivors" argument, but to me that could be expressed on some other ways rather than high a constitution score (like the vacuum immunity, cold and acid resistance, etc…).

With size, I went with medium; with Powerful build (5' reach with all natural weapons, 10' with the tail). There is a strong argument that could be made for the Large size, but they are so fricking agile that all the baggage that Large size has would be annoying.

Kaisoku

First Post
Heh, I saw Akata, I thought Akata, I repeated Akata in my head... and my fingers still typed Azata.
I had intended to write more thoughts on the subject and comment on the work so far, but ran out of time and didn't proofread my post.

Anyways..

Thoughts on the creature itself.

The xenomorph creature has changed over the movies/interviews, novelizations/comics and games, giving a number of different options available to you.
I'd personally go with what feels the most like "the alien" people are used to, and what makes it the most playable, rather than try and shoehorn too much into one creature, or do the most recent version that might have unique abilities. Have to keep in mind the genetic transfer and adaptation that these things have, so what might show in a movie or comic might be only representative of that unique creature.

Here's how I'd look at doing the standard Xenomorph:

SENSES
It's best to play up the creepiness factor by keeping them eyeless. This gives them protection from a number of visual based things as well.
Echo-location and electro-reception are two of the "proposed" methods of sight given, although there's no real definitive on this. Regardless, Blindsight seems the best approach here, with perhaps Tremorsense further out to give them a sort of range on locating enemies.
Lastly, the idea of communication and target distinction through pheromones is played up a lot (knowing an implanted target, recognizing a specific individual, etc), so Scent would be a good one to have too (perhaps an improved version, twice the distance?).

Something like Blindsight 40', Tremorsense 80', and Scent, but with a lack of visual perception altogether.

MOVEMENT
They move fast (so as a template, increased speed), and I would absolutely include a Climb and Swim speed.
Spiderclimb isn't really necessary, however I'd let their tail be prehensile (at least on a gross motor skill set), allowing gripping and lifting so they can grab with claws and still move away with a Climb speed.

DEFENSES

Definitely high natural AC, possibly even DR. The chitinous armor seems to repel normal gunfire, which indicates pretty strong stuff in general.

I wouldn't go so far as to say that they have any real kind of healing ability.
The creatures themselves seem highly resilient, but also built as expandable. They seem to be okay with dealing with pain and loss of limbs, etc, but don't seem to grow back anything. I'd avoid using Fast Healing or Regeneration.. they keep coming back because of their method of propagation (Aliens) or lack of sufficient weaponry or skill to damage it (Alien, Alien 3).

Immunities presented so far are good: Immune to vacuum, cold and acid.
Vulnerabilities are few, if any. Fire seems to affect them in some manner, perhaps only "normally", which if they had DR 5/- or 10/-, fire would make one of the few things they simply aren't "resilient" against and thus would be the most feared. I think I would leave the creature without a specific vulnerability (although I'd play their reaction to it similar to the movies).

However, due to the nature of their inherent caste system, and non-verbal communication, I'd include immunities to such things as mind-affecting effects, disease and poison, and sleep effects (they hibernate, or lay in wait, they don't seem to need to sleep).
I'd also go so far as to say that they don't need to eat, sleep or breathe really (they don't eat so much as kill and capture in pretty much every media of the creatures, at least, not after they become chestbursters).

Lastly, I'd say they have the Diehard feat automatically. They seem to fight until dead, no real "falling unconscious" from damage really (only stunned, or potentially gassed or forced hibernation).

OFFENSES
They are strong enough to tear through metal, their inner jaw can punch through defensive armor, and their tail can lift creatures heavier than itself.

I'd say the standard xenomorph has 2 claws, 1 bite, and 1 tail attack, with the tail attack being a reach weapon (10' sounds good).
While on the high end of Medium size, they don't quite fit the Large size factor (not as big as the average horse). This allows for giving beefier Praetorian versions the Giant template.

Since they seem to be able to cut through metal, (and to make them really scary), I'd give their attacks Adamantine qualities on bypassing hardness (count as adamantine and bypass object hardness).

Acidic Blood is a given. I'd have it trigger with slashing or piercing damage, dealing damage to the weapon used to attack and to the attacker if within 5'.
Bleed effects cause an area burst of 5' around them with the same damage, each round they bleed.
When killed, or if hit with a critical hit from a slashing or piercing weapon, they do a area burst effect, dealing the same damage to everything within 10'.
This effect should have a Reflex save (although fairly high, since it seems to be pressurized spray).

*Edit* Ooh, one thing I might add, is an ability to do a flurry of claw attacks instead of doing their natural attack routine. They seem to be incredibly quick with claw attacks if they want to stand still (like when they rip into a door, or on a downed armored target). Something like 4x claw attacks (two from each hand), by giving up the tail attack.
I might also consider the bite attack to only occur in grapples or against helpless targets (people who are unaware, or who are panicked and can't run).

SPECIAL QUALITIES
Given the nature of communication the xenomorphs have, I'd say it'd be a good idea to give them a Hive mind ability. Communication between the creatures can be done via telepathy at short range, longer with the Queen.
This is important, because it can allow for tactics between drones/warrior, despite not being able to see very far on their own. It can also allow for non-Queen drones to trigger their metamorphosis when they lose contact with their Queen, to become one themselves and continue propagation (see the latest Aliens vs Predator game).

Skills-wise, having a Climb and Swim speed gives a number of bonuses and benefits right off the bat.
Perception doesn't need more boost over the sensory methods, Scent giving a +8 to scent-based perception checks.

Considering their hibernation ability, their lack of exhibiting body heat (they stay at ambient temperature), and their ability to keep completely still (hidden on echo-locating devices until they move), it's very plausible that they have a bonus to Stealth in general (+4?), with their dark colors giving a greater bonus in darkness/shadows (+8?).

Lastly, cocooning seems like a side-ability, used to explain their ability to create their home structures, trapping captured implanted creatures, and hibernating/metamorphosing themselves when in more dire situations (long periods in vacuum or extremes of temperature, or loss of Queen).

I think this covers the most implied statistics of the basic Xenomorph.

As far as what kind of Creature Type this has... I'd go with either the Aberration type, or simply creating your own Xenomorph type.
Maybe even making Xenomorph a subtype; so Aberration (xenomorph).

That way the most basic unique factors (senses, acid blood, don't eat, breathe or sleep, and immunities) can be built into the subtype, making repeating stat blocks a little simpler to write (ex; Immunities: xenomorph traits).

Last edited:

The Red King

First Post
Really, if these are based on the Aliens from said movies, the climb speed should be as fast as the standard run speed. Nothing slows them down, they are truly all-terrain creatures.

Remove ads