Level Up (A5E) A5E Druid Wildshape Tracker

Greetings all.

I wasn't feeling well over the weekend so couldn't leave the house. I ended up getting a weird urge to create a fillable Druid Wildshape Tracker spreadsheet to help with A5E druids and their wild shapes. Well after about 20 hours of typing/testing/formatting/hair pulling I've created something which I think will be helpful for Druid players.

The spreadsheet auto-calculates changeable stats based on the druid's base abilities and the form chosen in the hopes that it removes some of the pesky math everyone loves so much. It also contains most (see notes below) of the Beast and Plants listed in the MM and on the A5ETools site. Anything in a Gate Pass Gazette that isn't listed on the A5ETools site isn't included due to me not having access to them. You can add in any new/homebrewed creature options by unhiding the Creatures tab and adding the appropriate information.

A few important notes (in no specific order), which may require clarification from the designers:

• I chose not to include the Diseased Rat nor any of the Swarms in the tracker because I felt that both were outside the scope of Wildshape. The diseased rat because it felt like the Druid wouldn't be able to add a disease that's not present in an animal when they take its shape and the Swarms because, while Wildshape doesn't specifically call out swarms as not being an option I wasn't sure the ability would allow the Druid to split their form into a mass of smaller creatures. In both cases I could be wrong and if I get confirmation from a Designer I am, I will update the tracker.
  • Related to above: I found a couple of errors while compiling the information. If a Designer could take a look and at least confirm the first question.
    • Plesiosaurus is listed as CR 2 in MM, but CR 7 in Online Tools. I included it as a CR 2 since O5E has it listed as a 2, but if it should be a 7 I can update the tracker.
    • Stegosaurus in not in MM PDF, but is in the Online Tools. I don't have my physical copy to confirm if it's included there. If anyone wants to check and comment feel free.
  • The tracker does include instructions (first tab labeled "Instructions"). I know it's pretty obvious, but I wanted to point it out anyways.
  • I've included all current options under a Druid that allows/changes/upgrades their Wildshape including the following:
    • Druid Level - The total levels in druid.
    • Skinchanger Archetype - Adds to total HP gained, the max CR of forms chosen, and also allows choosing Nature's Wrath.
    • Embraced Ferocity - 9th level option available to all Druids that increases HP gained and the form's attack modifier.
    • Nature's Wrath - 6th level ability of the Skinchanger archetype that adds elemental damage on attacks (yes I know it's out of order based on level. Sorry)
    • Tyrannize - 15th level option available to all druids that increases the size, damage, and saves of the form chosen.
  • In regards to skills I left the listed skills as listed in the MM due to the fact the Druid would use the form's skills unless they're smaller than the Druid's bonuses. Some forms get Expertise Die on their skills and I'm assuming that Expertise Die persists whether or not the Druid uses their bonus or the form's. Developer input would be nice here as well.
  • For all actions (regular, bonus, or reaction) I've removed the static modifiers for Attacks, Damage, and Ability Saves (such as the DC to save vs grabs or poison) and just referenced where on the tracker you should look for that information.
  • I've also included a space to track what forms your Druid gains at each level.
  • I've tried to make the information as consistent as possible, but there may be formatting mistakes/missed information. Please let me know and I'll be happy to make any adjustments. Same goes for any suggestions on cleaning up the formulas.

I appreciate any thoughts/feedback/suggestions/insane stories/corrections you all feel like providing.

Happy gaming all.

Anselm

Adventurer
This is awesome. I'm excited to use it for reference! Something to make sure I didn't completely botch my players stats is always helpful!

Re: the differences in A5E.tools, I believe they're still firmly in beta and waiting cleanup. Unless something is changed in the errata doc, you should use the final PDF.

Any chance you're going to add berserker ability for the multi class and synergy feats?

This is awesome. I'm excited to use it for reference! Something to make sure I didn't completely botch my players stats is always helpful!

Re: the differences in A5E.tools, I believe they're still firmly in beta and waiting cleanup. Unless something is changed in the errata doc, you should use the final PDF.

Any chance you're going to add berserker ability for the multi class and synergy feats?
Thank you!

I defaulted to the PDF in all instances (except the poor missing Stegasaurus) so I'm good there, but I agree that the tools are in Beta so will likely contain errors. Which is cool. Not calling the errors out, just hoping to make sure everything is cleared up.

As for the Berserker/Druid synergy feats (Untamed/Living Stampede/Wild Rioter) I wasn't planning to for a few reasons.

Living Stampede/Wild Rioter don't actually modify the forms. Living Stampede only grants a variation of your rage to Beasts, Fey, or Plants near you, while Wild Rioter grants a confusion aura to you and those affected by Living Stampede.

Untamed is the only feat that really impacts yourself while in wild shape and then only by doing the following:
  • Lets you Rage and Wildshape as part of the same Bonus action.
  • Lets your Rage HP and Temp HP gained from Wildshape stack.
  • Lets you cast and concentrate on Self/Touch Druid spells while raging.
  • Lets you use your furious critical while Wildshaped.
All of which are super useful, but being able to Rage/Wildshape as a bonus action and the ability o concentrate on spells while raging don't really need to be added to the tracker (at least in my opinion) so that just leaves the extra HP and Furious Critical.

The extra HP would be super easy, but given Furious Critical is essentially a bunch of option the character can choose when they crit that may add more bloat since I would have to do a fill from multiple choices on a list.

Overall it seemed more trouble than it was worth, but if enough people want it I can try and put it together.

Anselm

Adventurer
Thank you!

I defaulted to the PDF in all instances (except the poor missing Stegasaurus) so I'm good there, but I agree that the tools are in Beta so will likely contain errors. Which is cool. Not calling the errors out, just hoping to make sure everything is cleared up.

As for the Berserker/Druid synergy feats (Untamed/Living Stampede/Wild Rioter) I wasn't planning to for a few reasons.

Living Stampede/Wild Rioter don't actually modify the forms. Living Stampede only grants a variation of your rage to Beasts, Fey, or Plants near you, while Wild Rioter grants a confusion aura to you and those affected by Living Stampede.

Untamed is the only feat that really impacts yourself while in wild shape and then only by doing the following:
  • Lets you Rage and Wildshape as part of the same Bonus action.
  • Lets your Rage HP and Temp HP gained from Wildshape stack.
  • Lets you cast and concentrate on Self/Touch Druid spells while raging.
  • Lets you use your furious critical while Wildshaped.
All of which are super useful, but being able to Rage/Wildshape as a bonus action and the ability o concentrate on spells while raging don't really need to be added to the tracker (at least in my opinion) so that just leaves the extra HP and Furious Critical.

The extra HP would be super easy, but given Furious Critical is essentially a bunch of option the character can choose when they crit that may add more bloat since I would have to do a fill from multiple choices on a list.

Overall it seemed more trouble than it was worth, but if enough people want it I can try and put it together.
I think the things that are most impactful are not in the feat itself but the feat being there means they're more likely to come up. The one that springs immediately to mind is the rugged defense feature. All the sudden a skin changer's ac is 10+Dex+Con+Wis from the wild shapes Dex and Con OR the wild shapes AC+Wis OR 12+1/4 druid level +Wis. Just a lot of numbers to calculate which thing is best to take.

I've got a player who is doing the multi class so I've been scouring for the weird interactions...

Edit as I'm thinking of things: another interaction is the stacking of rage hp and temp hp from wild shape also means that hp is limited by the maximum rage hp, depending on your level path, a high cr wild shape could hit that max of 5*berserker level very easily

Last edited:

I think the things that are most impactful are not in the feat itself but the feat being there means they're more likely to come up. The one that springs immediately to mind is the rugged defense feature. All the sudden a skin changer's ac is 10+Dex+Con+Wis from the wild shapes Dex and Con OR the wild shapes AC+Wis OR 12+1/4 druid level +Wis. Just a lot of numbers to calculate which thing is best to take.

Remember that per multiclass rules on page 378 that Alternate Armor class calculations don't stack so the 10+Dex+Con+Wis wouldn't work based on my understanding, but I could be wrong.

That said it also looks like I made a mistake on the AC math so thank you. Per the Wildshape rules the Dex isn't added to AC. It's just 12 + 1/4 Level + Wis (If Skinchanger Archetype).

Edit as I'm thinking of things: another interaction is the stacking of rage hp and temp hp from wild shape also means that hp is limited by the maximum rage hp, depending on your level path, a high cr wild shape could hit that max of 5*berserker level very easily

Yeah. Depending on your build it could be very easy to "max" out those temp/rage HP due to your wild shape, but the rage HP you get each round would almost act like a type of limited regeneration.

There are a LOT of fun and impactful options with the Untamed Synergy feats. Heck just casting Invigorated Strikes on yourself before RageShaping gives a nice damage boost.

Anselm

Adventurer
Remember that per multiclass rules on page 378 that Alternate Armor class calculations don't stack so the 10+Dex+Con+Wis wouldn't work based on my understanding, but I could be wrong.
Agreed that armor doesn't stack from separate sources. That said, nothing is stacking here that is outside the rules.
Per wild shape rules:
You still retain the benefit of any features from your class, destiny, or culture and can use them if your wild shape is physically capable of doing so. However, you can’t utilize any features gained from your heritage or heritage gift while in a wild shape.
Which Rugged Defense is and per the Skinchanger's Dire Shape Features:
In addition, you may add your Wisdom modifier to your AC while in a wild shape.
says nothing about the source of AC. So whether your AC comes from the wild shape itself, the alternate rules for wild shape AC (12+1/4 druid level), or Rugged Defense, you get to add Wis.

That said, if that's not RAI I'd be very interested to know that but it definitely works RAW.

Updated sheet here which also includes Berserkers.

I'm still not adding the Con mod to AC while in WS, but would like to see @Morrus or another designer weigh in on if Rugged defense adds to Wildshape AC. If so I'll update it.

As always, feedback is appreciated.

Remove ads